The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Roland Thunder

Ambidextrous reloading

I have been developing inflammation in my wrist which I think is caused from reloading plus I use a computer mouse all day at work. I have a Lee Classic Turret press and I tried moving the handle to the left side instead of the press to ease the stress on my right wrist. It appears that the handle can be attached to either side of the press rather easily. However, putting it on the left side makes it difficult or about impossible to use. The post that the primer feeder attaches to is in the way of setting cases on the disc. Is this thing meant to be ambidextrous or is there something else I need to do to make it so? If not, are any other mfgr's presses ambi?
Old January 14, 2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

If you want to place the cases with your right hand, you might try turning the shell holder so that you can insert and remove the cases from behind the post where the primer device mounts.

If you want to place the cases with your left hand, change the angle of the operating arm to provide more room for your hand. Higher will let you insert from the front and lower to let you insert from the left (getting behind the operating arm).

Of course, the ultimate fix would be to replace the operating arm with a very short arm operated by foot-operated system.

Sorry about your wrist. I work with a computer all day, too and have problems with sore wrists. I gave up on using a mouse entirely and use a trackball. It is much easier on me. I also use two trackballs, one left of the keyboard and one right of the keyboard. I can switch off when I want and give relief to whichever wrist is getting tired. Kensington and Logitech make nice, symmetrical trackballs.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old January 14, 2012, 10:01 PM   #3
dickttx

+1 on the trackball.
I don't use one but I know several people who swear by them. Don't know what the learning curve is on a switch.
I always wished I had learned to use a ten key with my left hand. I spent years laying down my pencil, using the ten key, picking up my pencil and writing, laying down my pencil, etc. (Yes, it was YEARS ago). When I first started using a mouse I decided to do IT left handed. It feels completely natural to me and I almost can't use one right handed.
And back to the subject, as Lost Sheep suggested, turn your shellholder to the right side and use your right hand between the front and back posts for cases, bullets, etc.
Old January 14, 2012, 10:53 PM   #4
TXGunNut

Not sure what kind of inflammation you're dealing with but I beat a mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome buy simply not using that hand for awhile. It's hard, you won't get much (or any) reloading done but it may be worth a try.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.