The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 5, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1
spacecoast

Pushed the bar a bit higher today in Bullseye

At our local club 900 match this morning, I used my 6" S&W Model 17-5 to increase my personal best to from 729 to 742, and in very windy conditions. Slow fire is still slow to come around (averaged 70.3 per round and failed to score at all with one shot), but my timed (91.7) and rapid fire (85.3) scores continue to improve. I really feel at no disadvantage shooting double action with the revolver at the 25 yard distance, and my overall score is around the middle of the pack (we had 18 shooters this morning, mine was the only revolver and only a couple of us use the gun's stock sights rather than a red dot). The combination of the relatively heavy gun (40 oz.) and the light recoil from the .22 LRs allows me to get back on target very quickly. Other shooters have commented how they enjoy shooting next to me because the gun is so quiet and throws no brass.

I've been re-reading the Army marksmanship manual and trying to learn everything I can about how to approach Bullseye, both mentally and physically. I just wish I had more practice time, basically my practice consists of the weekly match and a little range time here and there.

Last edited by spacecoast; March 5, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 5, 2011, 07:45 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Outstanding.
Shooting irons with a revolver is a double challenge. I have shot with a S&W1955[.45acp revolver]. There is a wonderful feeling when you shoot a good score with, what some will call, antiquated equipment.
As you will soon find out once the basic skills are understood shooting is 90% mental.
Great shooting.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 5, 2011, 08:21 PM   #3
spacecoast

Thanks, one of the guys at the range today was telling us that the all-time 900 record (898) was set with a revolver with iron sights back in the 1960s. I can find a possible correlation at the NRA bullseye records site (Frank Higginson, 4/21/68, .22LR) but can't tell what kind of gun it was he shot. It would be very gratifying to know that it was similar to mine (if so).
Old March 5, 2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Ken O

Looks like your doing great with the revolver. I haven't shot a revolver in a Bullseye match, but have shot it on my home range. I did OK at slow fire, but I single actioned it (S&W 625), the rapids weren't pretty, LOL.

I'm usually down in your neck of the woods at this time of year for the OBR rifle matches going on now at PMR&P.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5
4EVERM-14

It's very likely that the S&W 17 holds the record. It was a premier choice in it's day. I remember reading of a competitor who fired revolvers in all of the three Bullseye stages at Camp Perry one year. Apparently did it just because he wanted to. Broke 2600.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 7, 2011, 04:22 PM   #6
spacecoast

Quote:
It's very likely that the S&W 17 holds the record
Well, I just heard from one of the guys at our local club who knows someone who was actually present the day the record was set in 1968. It was a S&W Model 41
Old March 7, 2011, 09:40 PM   #7
rem1858

Spacecoast;

Yes it was a M41 with open sights.

And no frown on the M41 cause it is what I shoot for bullseye

My personal best was shot a few weeks ago at the Desert midwinter with an 873-40x

As far as a revolver goes for bullseye, it is fun to shoot and a little different discipline.
I have only shot my Python in the distinguished revolver matches.
Yes I use double action at the short line, it is all about trigger control, whether it be revolver or pistol.
I just earned my last 6 points to get my badge a few weeks ago.

Bullseye is a great discipline.
Just do good practice and enter all matches that you can.
I have been doing it for 2 1/2 years now and hope to become a master this year, that is my goal any way.

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
Old March 8, 2011, 06:24 AM   #8
spacecoast

Way to go Clarence, that's an outstanding score that I could only hope to aspire to someday. And no frown at all on the Model 41, I was just hoping it had been done with a revolver. I presently do somewhat better at SF using my Ruger Mark II, but the DA revolver at the "short line" just seems to agree with me more than the pistol. Again, congrats on that 873.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:34 PM   #9
rem1858

Spacecoast;

Did you or are you doing the 25yd drill I mentioned in your earlier thread ?
The one where you shoot at the short line and do not even think about going to 50yds until you can keep all shots in the X or 10 ring and even the 9 ring.
(What I am trying to say is an X at the short line will be an X or 10 at the long line, a 10 at the short line will be a 10 or a 9 at the long line, a 9 at the short line will be a 9 or an 8 at the long line and etc...)

I do not mean to come across harsh, but until you can do the above drill, your long line scores will not go up.
You need to master the fundamentals first.
It is just easier to see what you are doing wrong at the short line.

As far as the .22 ammo goes, use CCI SV.
It is very accurate for the price and so is Wolf match.
You need to stay sub sonic, no high velocity ammo.
I am just saying cause I do not know what ammo you are shooting.

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
Old March 9, 2011, 06:16 AM   #10
spacecoast

Clarence -

Thanks for the note, no need to apologize for harshness, none perceived. I honestly get very little practice time, so it's not surprising to me that my scores are not changing much at the 50 yard line. Since you gave me that advice, I've had one practice session at the range and did practice slow fire at 25 yards. I shoot the local match three times a month and am lucky if I get any other range time - maybe once a month. Other than that, on the advice of another shooter, I put a 3/4 inch repair dot on the wall and figured out that at 13.5 feet it's the size of the 8 ring at 50 yards, so I've been doing daily dry fire practice using that. In a couple of weeks I'll be able to determine if it's helped.

At the scores I am shooting (low-mid 700s), I don't think ammo makes as much of a difference as it would for someone shooting at your level. I'm using Federal Auto Match Target Grade Performance ammo (325 round tan box) which is readily available at WalMart. It seems to be a popular choice at our matches. Muzzle velocity is 1200 fps. I tried CCI subsonic ammo, and it worked fine, but was advised that it results in a lot of misfires so I haven't bought any more (it's also more expensive than the Federal). Thanks for the tip on Wolf Match, I'll see if I can find it online.

Added Note - found some Wolf match .22LR at Sportsmansguide, bought 1K rounds for $93 shipped with my discount and a coupon. Also bought a pistol rest and I'll be trying out various ammo in both my Model 17 and my Mark II soon.

Last edited by spacecoast; March 10, 2011 at 09:05 AM.