The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 30, 2014, 05:07 PM   #1
psalm7

TN shooting law

In a recent disscussion it was brought up that you can only shoot for one hour here . I've looked for this and can't find it . This came from a County officer . This is out of city limits not sure if it is supposed to be state law or county . If 5 people are shooting do they get a hour each or is some one denied thier shooting time if someone uses over their time to equal 1 hour . During Dove season folks shoot for hours . How would this work ? Like I said I could not find this on TN GOV site or any others but it did come from a officer .
Old May 30, 2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Doyle

One thing you'll quickly learn from being on this forum is how little of "the law" law enforcment officers actually know. If you see the guy again, demand he show you chapter and verse where the law is.
Old May 30, 2014, 09:19 PM   #3
glh17

I've lived in TN for 61 yrs and never heard of such a law. That's not to say that one doesn't exist, just that I can't find a reference to it and never heard of it. I'd definitely get a second opinion. If it's the law, there's a bunch of lawbreakers in TN.
Old May 30, 2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

More details might help. Was this private or public land? What city or county?
Old May 31, 2014, 07:06 AM   #5
psalm7

Private land , rural area , outside of city limits in the the county .
Old May 31, 2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Find the county officer and have him clarify. If you don't know his name, call the agency employing him.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:39 AM   #7
OuTcAsT

psalm7 wrote:

Quote:
In a recent discussion it was brought up that you can only shoot for one hour here
If that were the case, then the TWRA (Tennessee wildlife resource agency) does not know about it, They run a public range I use quite often and, I can shoot for 2 hours for the $7.00 range fee. If I want to shoot longer, I just pay another $7.00 for another 2 hours. Since they are also the "game wardens" and "State park Rangers" I would think they would be aware of such a law.

Have lived here for over 50 years, hunted and shot on public, and private land, have never heard any such rule.

(That does not mean it does not exist in some areas) I would speak with the Sheriff about it.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old May 31, 2014, 03:33 PM   #8
raimius

You'll find that many cops don't actually know the law very well, many also don't know that much about firearms.

I've had a military cop tell me that it is illegal to use Magpul PMAGs in M16s and that they'd definitely cause malfunctions.
He got a lot quieter after I told him the DoD issues PMAGs and they function much better than the old, beat-up metal ones.
...some people!
Old May 31, 2014, 03:44 PM   #9
psalm7

I think the one hour comment came up because they could not find anything wrong with a little private shooting get togeather . And to excuse their rather thuggish behavior . I cant find any county ordinance on this and am thinking about checking with the NRA I want to have my ducks in a row before stirring it up . When I have time I will post a shortend version here so this makes more sence .
Old June 1, 2014, 07:35 AM   #10
OuTcAsT

psalm7 wrote:
Quote:
I think the one hour comment came up because they could not find anything wrong with a little private shooting get togeather . And to excuse their rather thuggish behavior .
It happens. Just curious, were you on your own property ?

Old June 1, 2014, 08:05 AM   #11
psalm7

My Brother in law had spent a couple of years building him a AR . He is not a Gun Guy. This is the only Firearm he owns he just wanted one . He asked if he could come out and shoot as he lives in town I told him yea if I'm at work my Son will help him set up and will want to shoot his guns too . I have lived here all my life most folks out here shoot I shoot here often . He brought his AR My Son got his Marlin papose and 1915 Enfield My Mini 14 and P89 . They shot in a safe location for less than a hour and went through their ammo quick picked up all the brass and targets all of wich were on mt property . One very responsible Adult and 2 16 year old Boys My son and His . During this time some one called the Police . There is one new famlly moved in close to us , 2 county officers have moved within mile , mile n half over the last couple of years . All have heard shooting out here from multiple shooters on a regular bases . So they did thier shooting had time to clean up and left . Some time later My Wife was watching our Grand Kids 2 and 5 and my Son no more shooting evey one inside watching TV and there was a knock at the door and when my son went to it a entry team pushed thier way in . My wife doesn,t handle things very well and gets Hysterical and they said You are being hostile we have to search the house . They had my son show them all My Guns and His . tell them wich ones they had fired . Our 2 dogs were in the house My old Red Bone ( That bit the bycycle rider I mentioned in another thread ) behaved her self but the Chiuauia (spelling for small Mexican dog ) wanted to bite . One of the officers kept getting close to it tempting it with his hand on his side arm . No one in My house hold ever has trouble and the police never gets called here they hardly ever get called to this part of the county its just farm country . This is a election year for local officials wich this could work aginst them , It could have been the type of fire arms the simi auto's may have sounded like a Mad Minute for a short time . The officers obviously took time to plan out thier " Raid" because of the time laps and they put togeather 3 patrol cars full of officers wearing entry gear . All this while I was at work . When my wife calmed down enough to ask why they were here they pointed to another road wher mostly my realitives live and said someone called us . A side note is I'm one of thoes Prepper types and when they searched my room it is stacked with duffel bags ang other military gear and ammo cans . Now I'm most likely on thier watch list after them seeing this . So I write this off but I will look into this one hour shooting law for my sake and all shooters I know sake . And I may put me another shooting bench right next to the road so they can see what I'm shooting and not have to do one of thier Dynamic entrys on a Grand Mother and her 2 Grand kids .

Last edited by psalm7; June 1, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old June 1, 2014, 09:46 AM   #12
OuTcAsT

PM sent.

Quote:
So I write this off
I wouldn't, you need to consult an attorney.

Old June 1, 2014, 10:03 AM   #13
dogrunner

You just might find it's well to your advantage to consult with an attorney. If, as you say, a warrentless entry was made you MAY well have a valid basis for a VERY lucrative settlement.

All I can tell you, speaking as a retired LEO/CLEO, is that what I suggest is precisely what I would do. The sort of conduct you describe is not just wrong, it is illegal!
Old June 1, 2014, 10:29 AM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So I write this off
If that happened as you describe, I would absolutely NOT be writing it off. I would have hired an attorney and filed a formal complaint. No way would I let that go.
Old June 1, 2014, 11:44 AM   #15
psalm7

It happend exactly as I stated . I'm on vacation this we so I will make a decision what to do . I only want at this time to challenge any laws or ordinances that restrict 2nd Amendment rights . And help fellow shooters . Why would they send a strike force to check on folks shooting when there is useualy simple conversation see if any one is being reckless and let some one know a neighbor may be concerned ? But you still see one officer being sent on domestic disturbance calls where officers have been killed .
Old June 1, 2014, 12:42 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I would have hired an attorney and filed a formal complaint. No way would I let that go.
If he can't afford an attorney, contacting the TFA is an option as well.
Old June 13, 2014, 12:44 PM   #17
born2climb

Isn't it reassuring to know that there are butt-sniffs out there in law enforcement who enjoy this sort of activity? And they wonder why folks don't trust them...
Old June 13, 2014, 12:54 PM   #18
zxcvbob

In a way, I guess you should be glad they didn't throw a grenade in the house like they did to that toddler in Georgia.

I would be giving the sheriff an earful. No way would I "write this off", that just emboldens them for their next victim.
Old June 13, 2014, 08:18 PM   #19
Daugherty16

Like the prior replies, i'd say go see an attorney. That wasn't even an unfriendly chat out by the sheriff's car - that was a potentially lethal situation set up by the LEOs to harrass and intimidate you and your family. Yet you say they didn't confiscate anything? No ammo or firearms taken as "evidence"? No charges filed?

Just sounds real strange and i'd certainly want to get to the bottom of it, to make sure it doesn't happen again. i would have assumed rural TN would be more firearm friendly.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.

Last edited by Daugherty16; June 13, 2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 13, 2014, 09:59 PM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Isn't it reassuring to know that there are butt-sniffs out there in law enforcement who enjoy this sort of activity? And they wonder why folks don't trust them...
Because what was reported could not have been misunderstood?
Old June 13, 2014, 10:23 PM   #21
OuTcAsT

Quote:
i would have assumed rural TN would be more firearm friendly.
In my experience, it is a very "firearm friendly" State, Most LEOs around here are as well.

Quote:
they didn't confiscate anything? No ammo or firearms taken as "evidence"? No charges filed?

Just sounds real strange and i'd certainly want to get to the bottom of it,

Indeed, I agree.