The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 19, 2016, 07:21 AM   #101
wpsdlrg

I've wondered the same thing for years. Flat out hated AR's when I was in the army (many years ago)....and I mostly just dismissed them since then.

Got talked into getting one by a friend several months ago, however....and I have to admit I enjoy it. Still prefer bolt-action rifles overall....but the AR is different and fun.

Probably just old age and advancing senility, but I do appreciate them more than I used to....
Old July 19, 2016, 12:53 PM   #102
Sharkbite

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting, nor target shooting or even about personal defense (those all are included, but not the reason it was written).

It IS about the ability of the populace to defend against and resist a tyrannical Government. The kind the "Colonists" were declaring their Independence from.

Free to speak their minds, worship as they chose, be secure for unreasonable searches (the list goes on). All ensured by the RIGHT to keep and bear arms, of the type used by the Govt they feared.

Look at the letters sent between the signatures of the Declaration of Independence. Letters that predate the document by years. They very clearly show the intent of the 2nd amendment to OUR constitution.
Old July 19, 2016, 04:18 PM   #103
SR420

Quote:
HughScot

Why the desire to own an AR-15 or the like?
Constant 'advertising' by the media coupled with the threat that Hillary & the democrats are going to somehow take
them all away tends to drive the desire to own one upward. They are fun to shoot, and they work as advertised.

It's this simple: buy one if you want one - don't buy one if you don't want one.
Old July 19, 2016, 04:27 PM   #104
Evan Thomas

I've deleted some posts. There's no need for snark, nor for bickering.
Old July 19, 2016, 09:55 PM   #105
Ignition Override

Upon further reflection, the feel of the thin, light weight charging handles always seemed a bit delicate compared to bolts on an SKS or AK derivative.

It made me wonder whether one or two other internal components could also be too light to be rugged.
Glad that this impression was mistaken.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 19, 2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old July 20, 2016, 07:57 AM   #106
Skans

Quote:
the feel of the thin, light weight charging handles always seemed a bit delicate
I agree, that's why I installed an all stainless steel charging handle (black oxide coated). It adds a fraction more weight and is a little spendy, but I want my AR build to be as tough as I can make it. With all of the Democrat-based adds I've seen lately attacking the AR and politicians running on the them that they will ban it, I want mine to be as "evil" as I can make it and be able to last several lifetimes. I wish someone sold a premium spring set for it.
Old July 20, 2016, 08:17 AM   #107
Spats McGee
Staff

Why the desire to own an AR-15 or the like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot
As a handgun shooter, I've wondered for a long time why the desire to own an "assault weapon" like the AR-15 or similar? Other than to have something they will eventually find a way to ban, it doesn't seem to have a real purpose. It would seem to suck as a self-defense weapon with a shotgun being far better, IMO. I will admit I'd love to have one just because Washington doesn't want me to.
No real purpose? While I'm not convinced that every gun I own just has to have a purpose, most everything I own does, truth be told.

With the caveat that I'm not even close to being an AR expert, here's my list of pros for the AR:
  • Light weight;
  • Reliable;
  • Detachable box magazine;
  • Collapsible stock (at least I'd have that);
  • Common and plentiful ammo;
  • Low recoil;
  • Versatile (IIUC, you can pretty much build what you want)
  • Fun to shoot.

Cons:
  • Give me a few minutes. I'm thinking . . . .

What's not to like, again?
Old July 22, 2016, 09:49 PM   #108
Backroad

Besides being accurate and fun to shoot, I consider mine a "Barbie Doll for men..." - customizable to a fault.

al
Old July 23, 2016, 12:57 AM   #109
qkarl

I don't know, why do people desire to get married?
Old July 23, 2016, 06:45 AM   #110
SR420

Why the desire to be known as the American Pistolman?

Do you think anyone would remember Chuck Connors if he was The Pistolman?
Old July 23, 2016, 07:14 AM   #111
highpower3006

Because bolt action rifles are boring.
Old July 23, 2016, 08:29 PM   #112
orionengnr

Disclaimer:
Although I nearly always read every post in a thread before posting, I only got through the first page or so before thread drift (and that is putting it charitably) wore me out.

So, I'll try to answer the question as asked, without addressing the side conversations.

1. An awful lot of us in the last two generations or so were introduced to the AR in the military, and have some familiarity and (often as not) some positive associations with it.

2. The 5.56 round is cheap, readily available, easy to shoot.

3. The AR is incredibly versatile--anything from a CMMG .22LR conversion using the existing barrel, to an upper in .300BO, x39, 6.5G, 6.8SPC, on up to .458S or .50Beo...there is nothing else out there that can do that.

4. Parts availability: Want to keep some spare mags, spring, small moving parts? AR parts are cheap, available and fit correctly.

5. Aftermarket support--want to modify your AR? Every type of sight known to man is available. Tons of trigger kits, from $30 to $200 and more. Nearly every single piece of the AR is available in a variety of configurations and iterations. Don't like the standard charging handle? Variations exist...up to and including a forward-LH-operated mounted lever that does away with the rear charging handle. Mag release? Plenty of lever-operated doo-dads, etc. Bolt release? Ditto. You want it, someone has it and offers it for sale.

6. Want to own more than one (and many of us do)? Companies such as PSA have made it easy. Buy an assembled lower for $169 this payday, put it on the credit card and pay it off at the end of the month. Next month, buy a complete upper in your choice of chamberings, put it on the credit card...
Old July 23, 2016, 09:10 PM   #113
mizfire

Interesting inquiry. I've heard about these 'assault rifles', they sound scary, good thing that all I have are modern sporting rifles in 5.56 and 7.62.

I suppose it depends on your location (urban vs. rural) and what your capabilities are as a shooter. I kinda like having the capabilty of hitting varmints on the run at 100+ yards.
Old July 23, 2016, 09:45 PM   #114
TheGunGeek

If you're referring to assault rifle in the literal term, the only reason is for speciality collectors. This is a very small group amoung all owners.

If talking about the misused term for semiautomatic rifles, they can be the better option for home defense verses a pistol. A user who doesn't want to invest the time and money into being properly trained, accurate, plus the needed regular practice with a pistol can be accurate with a rifle and red dot.

I have a three gun self defense plan. I have a full size 9mm pistol and a highly concealable.380 for conceal carry. A PS90 for the house is all that is needed home defense. Even in case of riots (think Ferguson or LA) or a New Orleans type of event, which is possible in my area, the PS90 will cover all the possibilities. The 5.7 round is low recoil and easy to handle by anyone. It also is designed to tumble at ~3 inches of soft penetration, quickly losing energy & reducing risk. If I didn't conceal carry I would only have the one.

Last edited by TheGunGeek; July 23, 2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old July 23, 2016, 09:48 PM   #115
HughScot

After reading all the great answers to my question I've decided to get one. Now comes the fun part. Thanks guys.
Old July 24, 2016, 09:58 AM   #116
danco

Quote:
After reading all the great answers to my question I've decided to get one. Now comes the fun part. Thanks guys.
Welcome to the club! You won't regret it...
Old July 24, 2016, 11:12 AM   #117
HughScot

That sounds like a great idea "orionengnr" but at my age (76) I'm afraid I might be dead before I finished buying it. Ha! Instant gratification has a whole new meaning to me.
Old July 24, 2016, 11:57 PM   #118
Machineguntony

The popularity of the AR platform came as a result of the 94 AWB.

I remember during the ban, I went into a California gun store and bought a grandfathered five point semi auto AR for $1700 (five point meaning it had a bayonet lug, detachable magazine, flash suppressor, pistol grip, and telescoping stock). $1700!

I took it to the range, and people's eyes lit up. Everyone assumed that all ARs had to have this ugly looking thumb hole grip. It was like...whoa!

Then the 94 AWB ban expired, and everyone could have for $500 what used to be much more expensive, so of course, there was a run on the AR. I remember being in a gun store and seeing tons of 'five point' ARs for $500-$700. It was quite exciting. My $1700 rifle was now worthless, but I didn't care because now I had a shiny new AR that actually matched upper and lower.

Edit: I don't remember if it was $3700 or $1700, but I'm reasonably certain it was $1700.

Last edited by Machineguntony; July 25, 2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old July 25, 2016, 01:58 AM   #119
Cosmodragoon

There are lots of reasons to own various types of firearm. High-capacity semi-automatic rifles can do most "general purpose" sorts of things fairly well. They just do it with a lot more shots quickly available between reloading. As a result, sporting and plinking can be much more fun, though potentially more expensive if we get carried away. I do think "fun" and "convenience" are valid answers in a free country.

Speaking of convenience and serving different roles, I know a lot of us here have all sorts of specialty guns for all sorts of purposes. Not everyone does. Having one gun that can do all sorts of things is especially great for people who don't or might not in the near future. If I could only own one rifle, it would absolutely be one of these.

Of course, these rifles also have the added benefit of being excellent combat rifles. Sure, good and responsible people generally don't want to be put in a situation where they need that but if they are, it's sure good to have it! Yes, such a situation is happily rare in our part of the world. Yet most people also have fire extinguishers, various types of insurance policy, etc. for other rare and horrible circumstances. It's the same reasoning most of us have for carrying a handgun.
Old July 25, 2016, 04:03 AM   #120
A pause for the COZ

For me there are a few reasons.
#1 I was trained to shoot them and find I am very proficient in their use.
Being comfortable and confident with some thing goes along way to helping you want one.

#2 IMOP it is pure genius of a design. MR Stoner definitely had is A game going when he came up with it.
Biggest win was having the recoil go in a strait line from bolt to shoulder.
Make a AR much easier to shoot accurately.

#3 Modular adaptability. You have a job for a Pistol, SBR, Carbine, or long range engagements. You can make a AR that can do it.
Plus you get the bling factor. You can personalize to your hearts content.
Not a small issue when you factor in just how much stuff gets sold just to add a touch " Mine" to a car.

#4 God forbid the need ever arises to break the yoke of an oppressive tyranny. Its what I want to grab.

Besides, looks cool hunting with one. Even if your really not all that cool.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; July 25, 2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old July 25, 2016, 06:52 AM   #121
SR420

I used the AR for about 30 years, but with the AWB sunset in '94 I stepped
up to the M14. I still have an AR in the safe, but my go-to rifles are M14s.

Old July 25, 2016, 02:06 PM   #122
GeauxTide

Until 3 years ago, I had nothing to do with them. After a visit from my youngest son, I got interested when prices were sane again. I got an Oracle, then an 6.5 Grendel, and last year, a 450 Bushmaster. The 6.5 is more accurate than my 260, which shoots .6". The 450 pushes a 250 at 2200fps into one hole at 75 yards. Bought brass socks for all three, so no brass chasing. Upgrading a trigger on the .450 was less than $70, and it drops right in.
Old July 25, 2016, 04:12 PM   #123
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
As a handgun shooter, I've wondered for a long time why the desire to own an "assault weapon" like the AR-15 or similar? Other than to have something they will eventually find a way to ban, it doesn't seem to have a real purpose. It would seem to suck as a self-defense weapon with a shotgun being far better, IMO. I will admit I'd love to have one just because Washington doesn't want me to.
Nostalgia? My first gun was an M16A2 issued to me in basic training in 1987. As soon as I finished training and made it home on leave I went straight to the local gun shop to get an exact copy. I sure was disappointed when I found out about the machine gun ban, been disappointed ever since. It was a good first lesson in how rights when not vigorously defended, will disappear on you. One I have not forgotten.

Still they had Bushmaster rifles without the switch for $350 NIB straight off the shelf. $350 was about ten days pay back then to a new military recruit. But I had no responsibilities so...

Saying the AR has no purpose is completely nuts. It is the ultimate utility rifle. With proper modifications it can fill practically any role that a semi-automatic rifle can fill. It is easier to say what it can't do.

I'll try:

- It is difficult to conceal carry. Not impossible but very difficult. Impossible for deep conceal carry.

- Unless you strap a .50 BMG upper on it in single shot mode (now really just a glorified gun stock) it will never be a good 2000 yard gun.

- It is a poor bird hunter/ trap/ skeet gun. There are some 12 GA uppers out there but these are more for police work.

Possibly other things it can't do. I can't think of many.

When you start with an incorrect premise there are not a lot of places for the conversation to go.
Old July 25, 2016, 04:57 PM   #124
HughScot

All these answers are terrific, think I'll make a list for the wife.
Old July 29, 2016, 06:51 PM   #125
fl_rich

#1 reason to own an AR patterned rifle.... Because the government doesn't think we should have them.