The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 6, 2016, 10:26 AM   #1
adamBomb

Awoken by a noise...

Its the middle of the night and you are awoken by a noise. What's the first thing you do? This happened last night - Both my wife and I were awoken to the sounds of glass clanging (not breaking or anything). I went out and checked right away without bringing my gun. Turns out my cat jumped on the wine rack and the glass banged into each other. The question is, should the first thing I did was get my gun? I have 3 young kids that always make noise at night, plus I have an alarm system, and I didnt hear glass/window breaking. I guess my question is should I be bringing my gun no matter what or am I being paranoid? I guess there is no right answer but I am going to start getting my gun when this happens. Its locked in a safe near me - takes about 10 seconds to have in hand once up.
Old April 6, 2016, 10:49 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, if there is some real danger (to you, not the wine rack), you can't call "TIME" and go back for the gun. Unless you are prone to over-reacting or have a "shoot without thinking" attitude, take the gun if you feel you need to investigate. If you are sure (and I mean sure) that the noise was the sound of a break-in, call 911 first, then make sure your people are safe, and await police response. Use deadly force only against a recognized threat.

Investigating can lead to problems, including a danger to you and also the serious risk that you might harm someone unintentionally. You might not like your kid raiding the fridge at 2AM, but it is not a capital crime.

Jim
Old April 6, 2016, 11:01 AM   #3
g.willikers

Roaming around your house, looking for trouble in the middle of the night, is fraught with possible dangers.
That's a very specialized subject with very specific training.
One thing you can do is nothing.
Wait quietly where you are for more sounds of an intruder.
If after sufficient time there's none, there's probably no intruder.
Then if you still want to check it out, you can be at least somewhat sure that's it's safe to do so.
Naturally, if there's children in another part of the house, it's prudent to see how they are and haven't fallen out of bed or something.
Assuming they're not armed.
And be careful not to stumble over the sleeping dog, if you have one.
Let the burglar do that.

Last edited by g.willikers; April 6, 2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old April 6, 2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamBomb
Its the middle of the night and you are awoken by a noise. What's the first thing you do? This happened last night - Both my wife and I were awoken to the sounds of glass clanging (not breaking or anything). I went out and checked right away without bringing my gun....
We had many (often acrimonious) discussions about the inadvisability of going to investigate a noise. For example, see this thread and the threads linked to in post 12.

In general, if there's an intruder, and you go looking for him, you are at a significant tactical disadvantage. You can easily be flanked or ambushed. Sometimes going for a look will be necessary, e.g., if there are family members who need to be accounted for. So we should all get some good training in house clearing so that we know how to go about it if it's unavoidable.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 6, 2016, 12:43 PM   #5
doofus47

My cat did something similar last night. I'm probably going to miss a real threat b/c I am used to writing off bumps in the night as "cat-turbances."

I need a dog.
Old April 6, 2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Wait, listen, observe (check windows). I find it's often possible to identify the source with a high level of confidence.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 6, 2016, 01:49 PM   #7
jmhyer

I am in the camp of -- Put the wife on alert to call 911 if needed. Then get my firearm and flashlight and go investigate...quietly and cautiously. This is largely because I have other family members (kids) that need to be accounted for...and protected, if there is, in fact, a real threat.

Absent the children in the house, I would definitely get the gun, light, and phone and stay put to listen for a least a few minutes behind cover before investigating.

I also take some comfort in the fact that I have an alarm system and a dog that barks at anything that is unusual to her.

In a perfect world, I would have surveillance cameras in and around my house that I could remotely monitor from the relative safety of my bedroom.
Old April 6, 2016, 01:51 PM   #8
zincwarrior

I'm more often awoken by Dad's old mountain dog (retired), barking so loud it shakes the house. I am not worried about something inside, but occasionally will do the window peak outside.

As Frank noted, I'd hunker down. With teenagers, dogs, and a budgie from He&&, its common to be awoken by something banging around, and going tacticool in that circumstance will likely lead to something tragic (as well as interrupt the fat wiener dog's 23 hours of beauty sleep). If something was truly amiss they mountain dog's bark is fearsome if he think's there's a threat (and not just an opportunity to bark) and we're positioned such that I can cover the entire second floor from one spot and also get a good idea of what is going on downstairs.
Old April 6, 2016, 02:13 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

I would have taken the gun with me anyways. I always do and always will. Finger off the trigger?

Anyways. I have an African Basenji and a 65lb American Pitbull. If they're barking, it's not good. If they're not barking, it's all good.

For those who don't have that luxury. Frank pretty much said it.

Wait a bit and be sure. I even do that if the dogs don't bark in case they've missed something or are knocked out, killed, I don't know! But I like to check regardless. Wait and listen. If there's a creak when you step over that raised wood floor or tile, you know someone is there.

Every case is different and there is no black and white response. If you have time to call the police, call and say your address, what you're wearing, and that you're armed. If you live alone or with your significant other only. Wait in the room with the phone line open, let them come to you.

Kids in rooms? Whole different ball game. You NEED to seek training in properly clearing your household. So if that harrowing event ever occurs, you'll be somewhat prepared.

I've had night time training and shooting courses with close quarter setups. I feel confident in clearing my home and I've done so in a "live" event two times. One was a false alarm and one wasn't. The thief fled through the window. Both times the officers knew I was either in or going inside to clear the home. Knew what I was wearing and that I was the home owner. I had my license and CWP handy and gun holstered when they got there and one was even outside while I was doing it.

So every case is different. Don't ever feel you're being "paranoid" when you're just being prepared. And rightfully so.
Old April 6, 2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Uncle Malice

I agree with the above.

I would always go armed. I have 2 German Shepherds that would definitely let me know if someone was in(or even around) the house well before I heard anything.

If they're upset, it's high alert.... if they're chill but I thought I heard something but they don't seem to care... I'll go inspect anyways but perhaps a little less high stress about it.

One time, it was about 12:30am and there was a banging on my front door. My dogs exploded in barking, razor backed up.... I jumped out of bed, threw some pants on, and headed downstairs with my Glock 21 in hand. I debated between the G21 and Mossberg.... but since someone was clearly knocking.... I went with handgun instead.

I looked through the peep hole and could only see a shadowy figure standing several feet off from the door with an SUV on the street with its lights on...I couldn't identify them though. I unlocked and opened the door with the gun at a low ready position.

Turned out to be a police officer. I said hello and sorry to disturb. Instantly lowered my weapon, of course. He informed me that I had left my garage door open and wanted to make sure I closed it as i had a motorcycle, stereo equipment, tools, etc in there. Not that I live a high crime area, quite the opposite, in fact... but as a neighborly courtesy. I think this gentleman lives on the other block and was probably on his way home.

I thanked him and shut the door. He apologized for waking everyone up and I thanked him for letting me know. There was no confrontation and he was not surprised by my answering the door while armed.

Overall, it was a positive experience... even though there was adrenaline pumping and it took a while to get back to sleep. haha!
Old April 6, 2016, 02:39 PM   #11
smee78

Even though I have an alarm and a dog I will wait a minute and if the problem still needs to be addressed I will bring my gun and light. This is how I always respond, I'm not going to wait to see if its my son or not, thats where the light comes into play.
Old April 6, 2016, 03:29 PM   #12
jmhyer

Not to be too critical of Uncle's post because I know he is aware of the potential danger of opening that door. But my inclination would have been to speak through the door, turn the porch light on, and ask him to step back so I could verbally and visually confirm who was at my door...especially at such a late hour. Gun at the ready or not, you never know what's going to happen once that lock is turned and the door cracks open. Just my $0.02.
Old April 6, 2016, 03:50 PM   #13
FireForged

If I hear something in the middle of the night, I will first get my gun and second get my cell phone. I will position myself near the bedroom door and I will listen until I am sure that there is someone in my house or that there isn't. I am not going searching for badguys, I will ready myself to fight from where I am most protected and have the most advantage. I will of course call 911 for help if I am sure that I need it.
Old April 6, 2016, 03:54 PM   #14
adamBomb

Thanks for all of the good advice. My thoughts after reading everything...

I should go with my gun if I am leaving the room. With little kids that could be up and wandering I have to be extra careful and follow gun safety basics which I always do anyway out of habit.

My wife is ready to call 911 if need be. I do have an alarm so if a window/door were opened it should be going off.

I probably need a dog but with 3 kids under 5 its the last thing I can take care of haha

As far as opening the door at night, I dont. I open the window a crack that is near the entrance.
Old April 6, 2016, 04:07 PM   #15
shafter

I think most of us at some point have been woken by some sort of a noise in the house. Most of the time it's either another family member, or some object that has somehow managed to fall over and make a noise.

I think a prudent response is to remain quiet and pick up your weapon from the nightstand. Listen carefully for any further noises like footsteps or someone rummaging through your things. If you don't hear anything else I think it's reasonable to investigate the source of the noise. Most of the time it will be something innocuous.

However, if you sense that an intruder is either in your home or trying to get in take up your best defensive position and call 911 and keep them on the line. Tell them where you are, what you're wearing, and that you're armed. Let them come to you.

I understand that if you have children you will need to either secure them in a safe room if you have time, or you may have to engage the threat to keep them safe.

To sum it up, have a well thought out plan, get 911 on the line, arm yourself, and don't go looking for gunfight.
Old April 6, 2016, 07:43 PM   #16
MarkGlazer

The optimal statement in the situation is the fact that you have an alarm system. This is your first line of defense/indication. It didn't go off so that tells you everything you needed to know, providing of course each entry point is wired.

Have you contacted your alarm company to determine if you can change the way the alarm responds to types of entry? For instance, I have two modes that I can code into my keypad; delayed and instant. At night, the system is set to "instant." Drop something heavy, open an outer door or window, break something, etc. you're going to know your attention is immediately required and hopefully, if someone is breaking in, the sound alone will be more than enough to send the bad guy packing.

As previously stated, you have tactical advantages, use them and don't expose yourself to harm, especially since you're protecting children and spouse. I would also suggest you practice walking your home to determine where your advantages and exposures are, i.e. not walking in front of windows and/or glass doors, seeing what is your best vantage point with minimal exposure, etc. You can create quite a list and I'm sure there are experts in the industry who could wax on for quite some time.

Good luck. Be safe.
Old April 6, 2016, 08:49 PM   #17
Mobuck

As a general rule, I don't even get up to go to the bathroom w/o taking my pistol.
Old April 6, 2016, 09:24 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

If I leave my bedroom at night for a "bump in the night" my Glock goes with me.
Old April 6, 2016, 10:31 PM   #19
Slopemeno

If you wait and listen very quietly, occasionally you'll hear the cat jump down from the counter, where it was going after the butter.
Old April 7, 2016, 12:19 AM   #20
Moonglum

Quote:
Its the middle of the night and you are awoken by a noise. What's the first thing you do
I reach over and touch my wife. If she's there there shouldn't be anyone else in the house. If she's not the noise was probably her.

I can see the entire house from the bedroom door and we have a night light in the living room that's bright enough to allow me to identify anyone out there.

If I knew there was an intruder in the living room I'd seriously consider calling out " I'm calling the police, if you come down the hallway I will shoot." I'm pretty sure the next sound I'd hear is them leaving as fast as they could.
Old April 7, 2016, 07:32 AM   #21
adamBomb

Quote:
The optimal statement in the situation is the fact that you have an alarm system. This is your first line of defense/indication. It didn't go off so that tells you everything you needed to know, providing of course each entry point is wired.
Yes all entry points are hooked up. It goes off if a window/door is opened and its loud and scary because we set it off by mistake about once every few weeks when we forget to shut it off in the morning. I dont have the motion detectors on because my kids would set them off all the time.
Old April 7, 2016, 08:38 AM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer

Oh, no one breaks in the house in the morning. Burglars prefer day time break ins as it is less likely to meet a homeowner.

Just be careful and keep it on.
Old April 7, 2016, 08:40 AM   #23
zincwarrior

Quote:
If you wait and listen very quietly, occasionally you'll hear the cat jump down from the counter, where it was going after the butter.
All the more reason to be armed. My wiener dog tells me cats are as tricksy as they are evilz.
Old April 7, 2016, 08:44 AM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

From a well known LEO trainer on another forum in a similar discussion:

Quote:
Sometimes the bad guys are aware of the "homeowner in a bathrobe coming out with a gun to check things out" and plan accordingly. Locally we had a crew that wasn't above putting a dude with a shotgun onto a low roof to cover them if the homeowner came outside after them.
Old April 7, 2016, 01:45 PM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Sometimes the bad guys are aware of the "homeowner in a bathrobe coming out with a gun to check things out" and plan accordingly. Locally we had a crew that wasn't above putting a dude with a shotgun onto a low roof to cover them if the homeowner came outside after them.
Uuuf... That's a tough one right there. People need to stop underestimating thieves and criminals. They've often times done these same crimes dozens if not hundreds of times before. Trial and error teaches a lot. Finding criminals that don't commit crimes in numbers is becoming more and more rare.