The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2015, 05:42 PM   #1
Kimio

Handloading for a T99 Arisaka, some question.

So I'm looking to get into reloading for an Arisaka I'm interested in. So far the plan is to use cut down 30-06 brass, resized to the proper dimensions along side .303 load data.

That being said, is there anything else in particular I'd want to pay attention to when reloading for his caiber? Is there certain powders that tend to run well in these rifles?

If I'm not mistaken a 175-180gr Spitzer projectile should do well in most rifles.
Old March 23, 2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Dragonflydf

You can get 7.7 brass so why cut down 30-06 ? I bought 5 boxes of factory ammo and have just been reloading the brass.

There are loads for the 7.7, why would you want to use 303 loading info ?

I used 4895 and 4064, both with a .30 150gr FMJBT,
4895 36gr to 42gr
4064 37 to 44gr
Old March 24, 2015, 12:27 AM   #3
Kimio

I haven't had much luck finding 7.7 Japanese factory ammunition, at least not where I've been shopping.

There are some who make the brass, but the places I've looked appear to be out of stock.

As for the load data, it was just what I read from some older posts on other forums noting that the .303 british has very similar load characteristics.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'll have to look through my manual again, I likely missed the load data some how for the 7.7 Japanese cartridge.
Old March 24, 2015, 04:27 AM   #4
Blindstitch

Try this.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12653
Old March 24, 2015, 09:05 AM   #5
Dragonflydf

all my reloading manuals show loads for 7.7, so there is no need to use data for something else. You can cut down 30-06 brass, but if there is 7.7 brass available, why go thru the hassle ?
Old March 24, 2015, 09:25 AM   #6
98 220 swift

I also use cut down 30-06 cases. Why because they are somewhat cheaper and a lot easier to find. You can use 303 data as well. It will be a little on the light side. You can find 7.7 data online as well. I cant remember what powders I use in my 7.7 I don't shoot it much. Maybe 20 rds a year. Imr 4895 sounds like something I would use and it would make sense for the 7.7.
Old March 24, 2015, 09:50 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
So far the plan is to use cut down 30-06 brass, resized to the proper dimensions
And that is it, cut down 30/06 cases. Reminds me of a day in a class when a student made it clear there was confusion, you could have heard a pin drop, no one laughed, I thought it was the funniest exchange between a student and a professor, I did not laugh, I did not believe we would ever see the student again.

I do not cut down 30/06 cases, I form 30/06 cases to 7.7 Japanese cases.

F. Guffey
Old March 24, 2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Kimio

F. Guffey, could you please elaborate?

I'd like to not make the same mistake as this student of yours.

The way I understand it, is that you need to use a full leg the resizing die and trim the excess brass so that it will meet the proper dimensions for the 7.7 Japanese cartridge.
Old March 24, 2015, 09:37 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Remove the decapper stem from the 7.7mm FL die. Run correctly lubed .30-06 all the way into the die. Remove, and trim to proper 7.7mm length. Reinstall decapper stem (expander ball) and size normally.

Verify proper chambering before loading.

Keep loads in the middle range. Case life will likely be shorter than purpose made 7.7mm brass.

A quick check of a 1970 Lyman manual shows IMR 4895 charges being 2gr heavier with the same weight bullet (150, 180) for the 7.7 Jap than the .303 Brit
Old March 25, 2015, 09:28 AM   #10
F. Guffey

Kimio, I am a reloader, I form cases. I understand the "ALL YOU GOTTA DO" responses. I was visiting a manufacturer of reloading equipment, while visiting the subject of case forming came up, the tech type took off in automatic. He started with "ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS etc..". I stopped him before he had a lot of time invested in his response, then I asked him if he had ever formed a case. He said "No".

I do not have a reason not to have the correct equipment, I have formed enough 7.7 Japanese cases to pay for a forming die many times over. I do not have a 7.7 Japanese forming/trim die. I have a 308 W forming die, it is my favorite because it is short and the body is larger in diameter than other cases. A shooter west of Ft. Worth had the same question a few years ago, He received the same answers: "All you gotta do is etc..".

I formed close to 80 cases in different length from minimum length, go-gage length, no go-gage length and field reject length. The minimum length cases chambered, the go-gage length cases chambered with slight felt resistance to bolt closing. The go go-gage length cases would not allow the bolt to close and the field reject length cases required sizing and trimming.

When forming cases I consider the chamber can be long as in longer than a go-gage length gage. When forming with a short forming die I adjust the die off the shell holder with a feeler gage added to square stock. I determine the difference in length between the 308 W and 7.7 Japanese case to determine the gap between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die. I sent him 4 different length cases because part of his question about his chamber was "How to determine head space of the chamber?" His chamber was go-gage length. By the time I met him at the Dallas market Hall Gun show he had fired all of the cases.

F. Guffey
Old March 25, 2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Kimio

Looking at Graf's, and my reloading book, it looks like a 150gr projectile may work.

I was looking at these as a potential candidate (whenever they come back in stock that is)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/165...ail-box-of-100

These are also a potential candidate.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12614
Old March 25, 2015, 07:35 PM   #12
Dragonflydf

Quote:
Looking at Graf's, and my reloading book, it looks like a 150gr projectile may work.

I was looking at these as a potential candidate (whenever they come back in stock that is)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/165...ail-box-of-100

These are also a potential candidate.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12614
I think I said that earlier. I use a Hornady .30 caliber FMJBT 150gr bullet in my 3 Type 99s, I also use the same bullet in 30-40 Krag, 7.5 x 55 Swiss, 30-06, 308,
Old March 26, 2015, 09:34 AM   #13
Kimio

Some how I missed that. Must have been tired or somthing. Thank yoy for all the help guys, I really appreciate the posts here. It's been an enlightening experience