The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 1, 2014, 09:12 PM   #1
DIY_guy

Looking for info on this old J. Stevens

I bought a gun at an estate sale and I like to know as much about the gun as possible but I must confess I don’t know much about this gun other than what I have been able to get from the web (and some of that info in contradictory) so I am here to ask for insight from the folks here since you seem very knowledgeable in matters regarding ID’ing old guns. I’m given to understand it to be about 100 years old. I understand it is a very low value gun. I will also assume its chambered for 2 9/16 inch shells. Here are pictures of one of the guns. Im most interested in approx. date of manufacture and more importantly model number and what the clover next to the 55 means.

Old April 1, 2014, 09:13 PM   #2
DIY_guy

I gather it was made between 1900 and 1916 and that its not a model 105 or 107 or 110 or 115 or 120 or 125 and its not a 94.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 7, 2014, 06:38 PM   #3
PetahW

I could be in error, but I believe your single-barrel shotgun to have originated as an N.R.Davis shotgun.

N.R. Davis & Sons was a small gun company started in the late 1800's, which moved (1914 ?) from Assonnet, MA to Norwich, CT, and later (1917 ?) became the Davis-Warner Co, then yet later (1922) was absorbed by Crescent Arms as the Crescent-Davis Co, then still later (1931) by Stevens Arms Co.

Yankee gunmakers have long been loathe to waste a red cent, so I would WAG that your unfinished action was in the Crescent Arms warehouse purchased by Stevens.

It's well-known that Stevens completed & finshed every gun they laid their hands on, whether as an "N.R.Davis & Sons" (one of which SxS' I once had), a "Crescent Arms Co" - or (in your case) a "Stevens Arms & Tool Co" gun of non-descriminate parts.

I seem to remember Stevens calling them the Model 140.

Here's another Stevens, in quite better condition, with the same action as yours: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=390796617

Last edited by PetahW; April 7, 2014 at 06:50 PM.