The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2014, 08:20 PM   #1
SAKMAN

Lee 3 Die or 4 Die sets?

I am just getting started.
Have never reloaded before.
I am picking up the following tomorrow....
  • Lee Value Four Hole Turret Press Kit
  • Lee Pacesetter Rifle Dies .223 Remington
  • Lee Three Die Pistol Die Set .40 S&W
  • Lee Double Disk Kit for Auto-Disk Measures
  • Lee Safety Prime Press Mounted Primer System
  • Lee .223 Remington Case Length Gage and Shell Holder
  • Lee Rifle Charging Die
  • LEE Precision Reloading Auto-Disk Riser
  • Lee 4 Hole Turret
  • Hornady® Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: 9th Edition
  • MTM Universal Loading Tray
After I ordered everything I saw that Lee has a 4 die set.
Should I change or will the 3 die set do the job?
Old March 28, 2014, 08:38 PM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
After I ordered everything I saw that Lee has a 4 die set.
Should I change or will the 3 die set do the job?
Get the 4 die set. The 4th die is a Factory Crimp Die. This lets you separate out bullet seating and case crimping.

Quote:
Lee Value Four Hole Turret Press Kit
Get the classic turret instead.

Quote:
Lee Value Four Hole Turret Press Kit
Lee Pacesetter Rifle Dies .223 Remington
Lee Three Die Pistol Die Set .40 S&W
Lee Double Disk Kit for Auto-Disk Measures
Lee Safety Prime Press Mounted Primer System
Lee .223 Remington Case Length Gage and Shell Holder
Lee Rifle Charging Die
LEE Precision Reloading Auto-Disk Riser
Lee 4 Hole Turret
Hornady® Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: 9th Edition
MTM Universal Loading Tray
You ought to have a powder scale, to check powder throw from your powder measure. The Lee Safety Scale is inexpensive.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 28, 2014, 08:41 PM   #3
BOOMST1CK

I think your fine with a 3 die set, but I will say you should add a bullet puller of some kind to your list. Mistakes, and redo"s happen.
Old March 28, 2014, 08:52 PM   #4
SAKMAN

Thanks for the feed back

I believe the kit comes with a scale. - I will check
Will ask if I can upgrade to the classic, I am picking it up at Bass Pro as a ship to store order.

A bullet puller makes sense - Will save my teeth
Old March 28, 2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Blindstitch

The three die sets will work just fine.

A bullet puller is a good idea. Very seldom does it get used but when needed it's hard not to have. In a bind vise grips can be used on the bullet with the shell in the press and no die. Just tighten on the bullet and reverse the process of loading. I actually have one that looks homemade.

It's a Starett Parallel clamp with a half elliptical grove cut in each side of the clamp. Works great. Used it today and it's still worth the price of free I paid for it. And it doesn't damage the projectile.
Old March 28, 2014, 09:24 PM   #6
chris in va

The Lee 223 Pacesetter set already has the crimp die as the 'fourth' die as you put it. It's the third die.

Now I highly recommend you get the four die set for 40 as it includes the wonderful FCD.

Get a decent scale, analog calipers and a kinetic bullet puller.

I don't understand the rifle charging die listed. You'll be using a powder measure (right?) so it's not needed. Even if you don't just get a $1 funnel and use that on your loading block.
Old March 28, 2014, 10:11 PM   #7
skizzums

for rifle you will want a 3-die set, and pistol calibers youll want a 4-die set, they 3rd and fourth die are not always needed, but its worth the 10$ to have them. i did not buy the 4 die set for 9mm and have regretted it since, i have had some problems when first starting out hat could have been corrected if i had the crimp die. its worth the extra 10$
Old March 29, 2014, 01:35 AM   #8
grisbald

It's already been answered, but I'll just chime in also. 4 die set for pistol, 3 die set for rifle.

I have 3 presses, one of them is the Lee 4 hole turret press. You'll like it.
Old March 29, 2014, 11:42 AM   #9
bedbugbilly

SAKMAN - I reload pistol cartridges only - 38/357, 9mm, .380 ACP.

I use a Lee Classic 4 hole turret and love it. I also use the Lee 4 die sets. Yes, you can get by with a 3 die set . . . but . . . I seat the bullet and crimp in two different operations. The 4 die set works perfect for that. I also am onlyloading lead bullets that I cast.

I like to de-prime my brass in a separate operation from sizing so I de-prime in an old RCBS single stage press which I also use for sizing - you can get by just fine with the 3 hole turret though. I use the Lee ergo hand primer and it works great. Basically, I deprive and then prime - then go to the 4 hole press - size, bell, seat and then crimp.

I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure that I mount directly on the powder through/belling die. I purchased an adapter for the measure off of flea bay - it screws on the measure and slips in to the top of the powder through die - the adapter was about $15 if I remember correctly. It works great for me - but you still want to double check your charges every so often to make sure it is consistent. I am only using Bulls Eye powder and the measure works great with that type but other types may require some "fiddling" to get it to throw the correct charge - YMMV.

I've been very pleased with the Lee equipment I have and it's worked great. I have a variety of makes of molds but the Lee molds are also great. Good luck to you and don't be afraid to get on here and ask questions. And remember, when you start loading - start at the minimum and work up from there - be safe!

A lot of folks sell Lee - check out Titan Reloading - they are just a few miles from the Lee plant and have great prices / service.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 29, 2014, 01:38 PM   #10
j357

I'll go one further here and suggest that along with the 4 die set for the .40, you consider an additional taper crimp only die if you plan on loading straight lead bullets. The FCD is good for jacketed bullets but IMO not so good for lead and plated, due to swaging the bullets.

I use the taper crimp only dies in 9mm/38 Super, 38/357 and .45ACP. This lets me seat and crimp in separate operations and works well with lead. You can seat and crimp in one operation with the regular seating die in the sets and even separate the steps with that same die (which will require running two separate operations, raising die to not crimp while seating, then raising the seater plug and lowering the die for a second run through to crimp). YMMV

You have received some good input on additions to your overall order list as well. Happy loading!
Old March 29, 2014, 02:23 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
if you're loading .40 S&M, you defiantly want a caliper. Load data for the .40 is usually festooned with warning to heed the seating depth.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 30, 2014, 04:48 PM   #12
GoldieMI

Like the rest I would recommend the 4 die set for pistol and 3 die set for rifle. I would also recommend the carbide vs. the non carbide die sets.
and definitely recommend the Classic Turret set...the Classic Turret is worth it's weight in gold on my bench.
Old March 30, 2014, 06:13 PM   #13
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Quote:
if you're loading .40 S&M, you defiantly want a caliper. Load data for the .40 is usually festooned with warning to heed the seating depth.
We all know you meant S&W but I'm wondering what web sites you've been on?! lol

Anyhow I would pick up a Digital scale to back that LEE up as well. Low end decent MTM $30-$40.
Old March 30, 2014, 07:16 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
We all know you meant S&W but I'm wondering what web sites you've been on?! lol
That was on purpose.

Quote:
I would also recommend the carbide vs. the non carbide die sets.
If going with Lee, you can't get anything but carbide sizers for straight wall pistol cases.
Old March 31, 2014, 02:19 PM   #15
TylerOutdoorsman

If you have already purchased the 3 Die set you can always order the Lee Factory Crimp Die separately. They are about $20. It's cheaper to buy the 4 die set the first go around, but when I got a Lee Classic Turret I had to order several of the FCD's to supplement my 3 die set. It's still cheaper than buying a whole new 4 die set if you already have the 3 die set.
"...Let he who does not have a sword, sell his cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36b

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Old March 31, 2014, 03:23 PM   #16
cigargod

+1 for the 4 die set..
I purchased the Lee challenger anniversery kit, Lee Deluxe Carbide 4 die set in 9mm, Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Powder scale, Frankford Arsenal Quik-N-EZ tumbler, Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper,Lee Ergo Prime and shellholder. But for the not-so perfect powder measure as i can't get it to throw any two charges of IMR SR-7625 within 1 grain of each other, I could not be much happier with this setup as I reloaded 250+ rounds this saturday.
Old March 31, 2014, 04:55 PM   #17
SAKMAN

Thanks everyone!!!!

I got the press & die sets from Bass Pro. They do not have the 4 die set listed and I didn't see them in our local store. I will check into getting the Lee Factory Crimp Die separately as suggested.

A digital scale make sense to me. Accuracy is important.

Bullet puller has been ordered.

I have several digital calipers from my wood working shop.

Most parts to the puzzle have arrived and I am deep into reading Hornady = "Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading". I also have "The ABC's of Reloading" on the way.

Again thanks for all the feed back. I am sure I will be back with many question s as I progress.

Steve
Old March 31, 2014, 07:55 PM   #18
std7mag

Chris

The charge die lets you do just that, as on a rifle you are not expanding the mouth of the cartridge, as you would with the 40 S&M. (kinda catchy!!! )

Since I'm just loading 7mm-08 for my own rifle, I don't full length size. So it's the collet die, charge die(with the auto disk screwed into it) then the seating die.
Old March 31, 2014, 09:13 PM   #19
SAKMAN

I found the Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 40 S&W
Do I need to disable the crimp on die #3 of the 3 die set?

Steve
Old April 1, 2014, 04:02 AM   #20
j357

Yes. Turn the die in to touch the shell holder and turn it back out three and a half turns to use as bullet seater only on the third die.
Old April 1, 2014, 07:42 PM   #21
SAKMAN

Thanks!