The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 5, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
justplainpossum

Is the Saf T Lok safe??

I have a .32 Smith and Wesson that I got a long time ago, and it has the Saf T Lok on it. Since the lock is right on it I don't store it in my safe, and I keep it handy in a drawer (plus, I always thought the lock with the levers was pretty cool.)

However, I just did a search here, and the feedback towards the lock was very negative. Is it not safe? It has always opened up quickly and easily for me, but is it capable of making the revolver misfire? I keep it loaded, as it was sold as a safe way to keep a gun loaded, locked, and easily available.

Last edited by justplainpossum; April 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old April 6, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Webleymkv

Are you referring to the internal lock that comes on most newer S&W revolvers? If so, you'll likely get a lot of different opinions as the lock has long been a very controversial issue amongst revolver afficionados. I personally don't find it to be a big deal, but I don't use it either (the lock-equipped S&W's that I've owned all had their keys stowed away unused in the box).

As to making the gun "misfire," there have been some cases of the internal lock engaging during recoil and locking up the gun's action inadvertently. These cases are, however, extremely rare and mostly endemic to lightweight scandium-alloy frame guns firing powerful, heavy recoiling cartridges like .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum.

All that being said, I personally wouldn't use the lock in the manner you describe simply because from what little bit I've fiddled with them, they don't really seem like something you could quickly and easily disengage under the stress of an emergency situation. Also, the keys to the S&W lock are not unique to each gun so anyone who has a key can use it in any S&W revolver. Finally, while the lock may prevent someone from being able to immediately fire the revolver, it will do nothing to prevent someone from stealing the gun. A small digital or biometric safe would, IMHO, be a much better option.