The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 2012, 09:31 AM   #1
cryogenic419

Slide Glide experiences

I have a .22 pistol that has issues fully cycling depending on ammo used, and even then its not 100%. Its more of a if everything is clean and I use the right ammo its good, but slightly dirty and it starts getting iffy. I have a guy I work with who swears by Slide Glide. I've looked around and it seems like it might do the trick.

Anybody had a similiar problem that was fixed by using this stuff?
Old December 17, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2
BarryLee

I use the material on the aluminum rails of my SIG handguns to reduce the wear from the steel slide. The material seems to work very well for that.

I know that some .22 semi-autos have a difficult time cycling simply because of the low power load. I have heard too much lube can cause this, but have never actually seen it myself. I would clean the gun very good and make sure there are no worn parts. You did not mention specifically what gun it was, but maybe if you shared that someone might be able to offer more specific advice.

At the end of the day I can’t say Slide Glide would help, but why not give it a try I’m sure it won’t hurt anything.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 17, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3
cryogenic419

It is a Sig Mosquito...I know...theres a ton of threads about how much this gun sucks. When its freshly cleaned and oiled and I use higher powered ammo (Mini Mags, Velocitor, etc) it works just fine. I can use other ammo and it works MOST times until the gun starts getting dirty, then only the higher powered ammo works. I've only used oil on the gun so far, no grease or anything like that.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4
BarryLee

While I have heard of some issues with the gun I personally have no experience with them. So, did you buy the gun new? If so have you considered calling SIG?

Quote:
I use higher powered ammo (Mini Mags, Velocitor, etc) it works just fine
So, if this seems to be the case why not just use the CCI all the time? I have a Ruger Mark II and have a lot of problems with Remington ammo, but when I went to CCI no problems. So, now I shoot only CCI and all is well…
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 23, 2012, 01:53 PM   #5
toolguy2006

I got talked into trying "Slide Glide" on my GLocks. I would have a hard time believing that this stuff is anything other than general purpose red bearing grease from the parts store. I have gone away from using it because I immediately notice debris sticking to the lube in the slide.

Most recently in my quest for the best cleaning products, I stumbled upon "Frog Lube". Its a fairly long process to apply the lube, but once it is on it dries and remains slippery.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:15 PM   #6
BarryLee

While I love Slide Glide on my SIGs I do not use it on my GLOCKS. The design of the SIG results in a steel slide riding on aluminum rails and the Slide Glide seems to prevent wear. As for the GLOCK they have a different design and I just simply use a good gun oil.
- Milton Friedman