The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old February 1, 2012, 10:09 PM   #76
Tom68

ok guys, I'm sorry, but...

removing military crimps from brass just stinks. It's cumbersome, mind numbing, and time consuming. It makes my fingers hurt. I can't do it without a few beers. It's just one of those jobs that I put off time and again... i'll be more responsible for all the other steps...but tonight, not as much!
Old February 1, 2012, 11:31 PM   #77
TXGunNut

Today's my birthday, I got some new 32Spl brass from Midway. Two fingers of a fine single malt Scotch was waiting for me...as soon as I dumped the resized cases in the cleaner.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 5, 2012, 06:06 PM   #78
flashhole

I conducted a test.

Spent the last several hours sucking down a bunch of beers and processing brass that I picked up at the range the past few weeks. I didn't miss a beat on any of the process steps ... decap... wash ... tumble ... resize ... sort ... bag ... etc.

I processed more than 600 pieces of brass and drank 15 beers! No problems but I did pee a lot. I can still think and type coherently and I still have the control to refrain from telling the idiots that call me an alchy where to stick it. Now on to the Super Bowl ... mIght have to make a beer run ... kinda short on supply.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 5, 2012, 06:17 PM   #79
Sparks1957

Quote:
No problems but I did pee a lot. I can still think and type coherently and I still have the control to refrain from telling the idiots that call me an alchy where to stick it.
Hehe, must have been O'Doul's or something... you're way too coherent!
Old February 5, 2012, 06:39 PM   #80
jason75979

I have more distraction problems from my wifes wardrobe than from a beer or 6 while prepping cases.
Old February 5, 2012, 06:54 PM   #81
CPTMurdoc30

As long as he is not pouring powder I don't see a problem with a adult soda while doing them tasks.

I hate all the prep work. That is why I am teaching my kids all about case prep.
Old February 5, 2012, 07:08 PM   #82
Jammer Six

Jason, you and your wife are invited over for dinner.
Old February 5, 2012, 08:10 PM   #83
JerryM

[drank 15 beers!]

Really something to be proud of.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 5, 2012, 08:21 PM   #84
dacaur

So many things i could say about the above, but why stoop to the same level? I guess Ill just stick with an eye roll or 3...
Old February 5, 2012, 09:04 PM   #85
flashhole

Had all day and nothing else to do. If you want to criticize go ahead but I am tired of all the BS about not being able to drink a drink and perform any minor human functon. If you want an argument and a fight I'm up to the challenge. Any more snide comments?

Old February 5, 2012, 09:20 PM   #86
flashhole

Roll eyes and tuck tail. Good combination.

Old February 5, 2012, 10:10 PM   #87
1Hobie

It's all a matter of perspective.

I enjoy my beverages. I know what is good to go and what's not.

Know me before thoust judge me.

Take 5 Flashhole. You're good to go.

Hobie
Old February 6, 2012, 12:03 AM   #88
dacaur

Quote:
Roll eyes and tuck tail. Good combination.
I hope that wasnt directed toward me.....
Old February 6, 2012, 01:25 AM   #89
TXGunNut

I was thinking about this thread when I came in with some BP-fired cases a few hours ago. I had some good Scotch waiting for me after I de-capped the cases and got them soaking in hot soapy water.
Case prep is mind-numbing drudgery. I don't have a problem with folks that can do it with an adult beverage nearby, in fact I'm a bit envious. Lead ingestion is an issue, but we've already touched on that.
As mentioned above case prep involves many inspection opportunities. Any hunting round I load will be counted on to cleanly kill game, sight in my rifle or aid in load development. I don't load many plinker loads and wouldn't spend a lot of time on case prep if I did.
I think this is a thread about knowing one's limits or recognizing priorities. I was told years ago that alcohol and gunpowder don't mix. For me, it was true then, true now. KISS applies here, when I'm done pulling the lever I can indulge in an adult beverage, if I want. I drink the good stuff; it's worth waiting for.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:14 AM   #90
CrustyFN

Well I'm not much of a drinker. Normally during the six months of cooler weather I don't drink any beer. During the warm and hot months I'll have a beer now and then. I only drink beer, nothing stronger. I don't drink while at the reloading bench or before but I do like to have a couple of beers while casting. I don't see anything wrong with him having a couple of beers while doing case prep if that's what he wants to do.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:28 AM   #91
cornbush

To each his own, you are able to choose your own "rules of engagement", let me choose mine.
I'll have a beer or two sometimes when I'm in the reloading room, and sometimes not.
That's my choice.
This thread is like a political debate, no matter your opinion or thoughts you are wrong to someone.
Old February 6, 2012, 02:53 PM   #92
Unclenick
Staff

Cornbush,

I think you're right on the last point. I expect this thread has run its course, so I'm going to close it before contentious feelings get out of hand.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread