The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 2010, 01:04 AM   #1
falkon114

Scope suggestions? CX4 Storm

Just bought this shiny tool a week or two ago. Love it so far!
Thinking about a scope for it, but I can't settle on anything. I've been looking at some NCStar red dots lately. Saw the NCStar mark iii with quick finder today. I definitely have that on my consideration list but beyond that, what would work well with a .40S&W Pistol Cal Carbine?
Ideally, my criteria are:
~Illumination. Either red dot/green dot or some sort of lit reticule.
~Zoom. up to 2-6x would be fine. Adjustable would be nice, but not necessary. This is one of the more optional criteria.
~Reliability. Gotta be able to stay centered after having it mounted on my rifle without taking it off often and while taking the recoil from .40 shells.
~Price. I'd really prefer it to be around $150 or less.
~Eye relief. Another optional component, I'd like unrestricted/unlimited eye relief, but this is perhaps the least important part.

Thanks in advance!
Old October 16, 2010, 05:44 PM   #2
IXLR8

I am not sure that any magnification is necessary. American Rifleman tested the Storm rifle, and the best group they could get at 25 yards was 2 inches. that is more than 8 MOA.

For the most effective aim, use one of the inexpensive Holo sights, for better target acquisition. To me shooting it with both eyes open would be a priority.

Enjoy it, they had a lot of good things to say about it.
Old October 17, 2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
American Rifleman tested the Storm rifle, and the best group they could get at 25 yards was 2 inches. that is more than 8 MOA.
That's strange. I have gotten better groups with a rental Storm with UMC 9mm ammo. My groups (leaning over with my elbow supported) were about silver dollar size at 30 yards.

I would leave it stock but if you feel the need, I would put a red dot on it of your choice, not a scope.

-Bruce Lee
Old October 17, 2010, 11:22 PM   #4
falkon114

Any names/brands/models you guys want to throw out there? Saw a cheap one by the name of Tascar or something?
Magnification is just more for luxury than anything, so I can see what my placement is at distances without having to wait for cease fire and that.
Old October 18, 2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Delaware_Dan

For cheap, I would go with a Tasco red dot. I have a Millet that I really like, but they can be pricey.

-Bruce Lee
Old October 18, 2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Ozzieman

With hand loads with lead bullets I have gotten sub 4 inch groups with my 9mm storm at 100.
That was with an Aimpoint on sand bags.

http://www.aimpoint.com/

With cheep factory Remington white box it will hold 5 inches at 100.
I have had cheep Chinese red dots and all I can say about them is that they are made for paint guns not for real guns.
Buy American and buy an aimpoint.
The following has a photo of mine with an aim point.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...+storm+carbine

and

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...+storm+carbine
Old October 18, 2010, 05:09 PM   #7
IXLR8

From October 2010 American Rifleman

Quote:
That's strange. I have gotten better groups with a rental Storm with UMC 9mm ammo. My groups (leaning over with my elbow supported) were about silver dollar size at 30 yards.
Look for yourself.

(It appears as though I was confused. I did not realize it was available in different calibers. The results I saw were for the .45 ACP. My apologies.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg px4.jpg (215.3 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by IXLR8; October 18, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old October 18, 2010, 05:17 PM   #8
ejfalvo

i have the CX 45 ACP and mounted a Truglo 3X red dot sight. Allows me to get good groupings out to 50 yards - enough for HD.
Old October 18, 2010, 05:25 PM   #9
falkon114

i'm all for that aimpoint series, but I can't afford one Unless there are models that are sub $200 that I'm not seeing
Old October 18, 2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

I have put just about every type of scope and optic I own on my CX4 (9mm) at one time or another. Generally speaking, you probably won't be shooting it much beyond 100 and very rarely beyond 200. The best groups I have gotten out of mine is 4-5 MOA at 100 yards with a 10x scope. With the "iron" sights it was closer to 8 MOA. If you don't aim at the same point each time (and my eyes don't allow for that with the funky iron sights), then your group size is going to be bigger.

Right now it is set up with a ATN MK390 NV scope and I can hit a 6x6" square at 80 yards consistently with Blazer 115 gr. ball ammo. I might be able to do as good at 100, but haven't shot it in the dark that far.

You can extrapolate from 25 yards with 2 MOA to 8 MOA at 100, but I have found that sometimes you can do better when you actually shoot the full 100 yards and have a way to aim precisely.

A 4 MOA dot optic is probably fine all things considered. Figure out the ballistics and I would be willing to bet that you would have a high (inside the 4 MOA dot) 25-30 yard zero that would keep the round inside the dot from 15-20 yards out to 80-90 yards or so. Of course, that will actually depend on the partcular ammo you are using and the actual sight radius height over the bore radius, but basically with a dot that big, it will be a good match for the capabilities of the gun out to that far. Place the dot on the target and that is where the bullet will go (somewhere within the dot).

In other words, I don't think I would spend extra bucks to get a finer reticle, but if you can find something with a finer reticle within your price range, that is great.
Old October 18, 2010, 11:38 PM   #11
ethan95

Aim point micro or a trijicon reflex sight, neither have zoom though.
Old October 19, 2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, I just don't see either an Aimpoint Micro (my favorite) or a Trijicon Reflex going on sale anytime soon for $150.