The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Very good day at the range.

Took along the Vaquero and the Cattleman. These revolvers shoot essentially the same. I found this out last time I went shooting. It is verified now.

More importantly I took along a good comparison of 100 rounds using Federal primers and 100 using the Winchester primers which I thought were causing problems.

My misfire problems are solved. Were I was getting one misfire in six shots from the Winchesters, I had absolutely 100% success with the Federals.

It does not matter if I just use the Lee press or if I force them a little further with the Auto-primer. They work the same way.

I am getting the same accuracy from the rounds I load myself as I do from the Cowboy rounds that I have been buying. Now that I have the reliability problem solved, I can work on more consistency in my loads.

As a bonus I picked up 240 spent 9mm cases.

I'll put them up for trade for either .45 LC or .357 magnum cases.

All in all a good day shooting.
Old October 14, 2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Hawg

Sounds like you have lightened hammer springs. Federal primer cups are the softest. CCI and Winchester are the hardest. A lot of CAS shooters run into that problem when they lighten springs too much and can only use Federal primers.
Old October 14, 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Entirely possible....

Both pistols are new and completely unfiddled-with but I have no reason to say the springs are stout enough.
Old October 14, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Hellgate

Doc,
This past year I handled some Uberti Cattlemen from Taylors and they were a world of difference from the Uberti Cattleman Hombres I have. Oh well, mine were only $250 each). The Taylors were like butter. Once I swapped out the springs for a set of (whoever makes replacement springs? can't remember who) lighter ones now mine are like butter. No misfires with WW primers but if your guns are from Taylors they may already be pretty light in the hammer department.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 15, 2012, 05:59 PM   #5
brazosdave

I just got a Uberti Cattleman Hombre in .357 on Friday. When I take it to the range, I'll let you know how it fires. A fella suggested wolf springs to lighten up the trigger, right now, mine is stock out the box. So I'll see whether or not I feel like doing anything to it.
Old October 16, 2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Hellgate

Brazos Dave,
I was pretty content with the Hombres as deliverd since virtually all of my other shooting was with Italian C&Bs. So anything lighter or smoother than them was a blessing. Once I felt the Taylors I couldn't believe they were from the same maker. They were still pretty good from the factory so You will probably leave them be. If you do swap out the springs, beCAREFUL: they have a plunger spring systemfor the hand. You need to remove it First before you remove the hammer or it will flip out and you could lose it. There is a set screw under the grip frame just to the side of the hammer. Remove it after taking the grips off and shake out the spring and plunger. THEN proceed to do whatever.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 16, 2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

The hand spring....

....on My Uberti is held in place with a screw which is removed to take it out. I Have an Uberti Cap and Ball Cattleman and the spring and plunger in that revolver does not have a retaining screw. It falls out every time I clean it.

Worth while exercising some caution.

As regards springs, I don't think I have a spring problem in these revolvers.

I may get the word back from Winchester that there is nothing wrong with the primers which would lead me to believe that they just don't like my revolvers. In that case the first place I would go would be the hammer spring but I would not make them lighter, I would make them stiffer.

Obvioulsy, I think that is going in the wrong direction since most people talk about lightening up the spring.

Editorially, I think Winchester will indeed tell me that the primers are okay implying that I am loading wrong, problem with two pistols, or not holding my tongue right. I don't hope to get anything out of them.