The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 28, 2002, 05:58 AM   #1
Pistole

Semiauto To Fully Auto ?

Is it possible ( within reasonable bounds ) to convert a semiauto pistol to be capable of full-auto use ?

Just a dumb question ........................
Old March 28, 2002, 06:54 AM   #2
stans

It can be done, but controllability becomes a problem. I think both Beretta and Glock make select fire models of their pistols for military and law enforcement agencies.
Old March 28, 2002, 09:14 AM   #3
Hkmp5sd

It's possible, but the result is usually just a waste of ammo. I have an M11/9 submachine gun with a 32 rd magazine. Holding it like a pistol and pointing at the ground in front of the target and pulling the trigger results in a round hitting around the base, a round hitting about the stomach area and one hitting about the head/neck area. The other 29 rounds are hitting the clouds.

NRA Life Member
Old March 28, 2002, 10:28 AM   #4
SDC

Yes, it can be done, but you end up with something of very limited value; as noted above, most of these things fire (and climb under recoil) so quickly that they're really pointless except for assassination attempts. I've fired converted Glocks and Hi-Powers, and your first shot usually hits where you're aiming, then add another 6" up for each succeeding shot. If you're standing in the same phone booth as your target, it might be useful, but otherwise it's just a fun way to waste ammo.
Old March 29, 2002, 05:06 PM   #5
Vim Fuego

Have you ever fired a mac (or any smg) with an added forward grip? How much did it aid controllability?
Old March 29, 2002, 09:11 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

The .45 MAC 10 is fairly easy to control with a foregrip. The M11/9 is a 9mm "Mac" and due to it's high cyclic rate, it is hard to control even with a foregrip. Putting the foregrip and a muzzle compensator along with extending the stock makes the M11 much more stable. Holding it one-handed like in the movies is virtually impossible for us non-Arnold type people. Putting a suppressor on either makes them into really nice shooters. Kills most of the muzzle rise.

NRA Life Member
Old March 29, 2002, 10:37 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have never fired a Glock or Beretta FA, but I have fired the Mauser Schnellfeuer and the Spanish Astra copy, and the Spanish Star FA pistol, as well as a Colt .45 converted to work like the Star. None were worth much, for the reasons given, even with the shoulder stocks on the "broomhandles". Another problem with an FA conventional pistol is that the magazine empties rather quickly, like brrrp! The Mauser and Astra, with 20 round mags, were a bit better.

Jim
Old March 31, 2002, 02:00 AM   #8
Jason280

I routinely shoot a converted full-auto Glock 17L, and I have no problem controlling the gun. With a 33 rd Scherer and 17 rd Glock mag, I can keep all rounds on target out to about 8-9 yards on full-auto. Of course, this is no easy feat, and even more difficult for me because of my small hands (size 6 1/2 sterile glove). However, if you can learn to keep your wrist and forearm stiff, its not too hard. If someone will tell me how to do it, I will post a video of us shooting the aforementioned 17L (its currently on an 8mm camcorder tape).
Old April 1, 2002, 05:01 PM   #9
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Used to have a link to a video clip of someone firing a converted hi-cap 1911 in 9x23. The guy burned through a mag holding the gun one-handed. The gun didn't rise much at all.

Molwn labe!