The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
osirus82

Forges?

So i just picked up a johnson benchtop gas forge and it got me thinking about what type of forges you folks use? I might consider doing some lead casting but i got it more just to play with metal.
Old November 20, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I wouldn't use a forge just to melt lead.

Use it to heat metal to reshape it. Take benchmetal at Trinidad during the summer. They'll teach you to make your own chisels & gouges & scrapers. You'll save a ton of ducats if you can roll your own.
Old November 20, 2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Chaz88

I still have a forge but have not used it in a long time. Mine would run way to hot for casting lead. Silver, gold, brass, and similar metals with high melting tempers are much better. Also you generally need a high temp cup with lid to use a forge for casting or the metal will oxidize too much.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 20, 2013, 10:11 PM   #4
PawPaw

My son uses a coal forge for blacksmithing, but I couldn't imagine using those heats for lead.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 22, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
osirus82

i do have a high temp cup and this johnson gas forge has a cast iron lid on it that opens, im going to take my wire wheel and clean it up add a coat of high temp paint, the forge is this one just old and lil rusty. Im going to school for welding currently and they offer a black smithing class also, now i have more incentive to do that. I looked it up online and it says they go for 750.00 Wahoo.

Last edited by osirus82; November 22, 2013 at 04:17 PM.