The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 3, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
WIN1886

Thinking of adding a Sig P229 Elite Stainless in 9mm

I bought my first 9mm semi auto earlier this year which is a Browning Hi Power w adjustable sights and now got the bug to add another semi auto in the same caliber ! Since I'd want something a bit different I was looking at Sig's and really like the feel and heft (not a conceal & carry pistol ) of the P229 Elite Stainless version ! Just wondering what others that may own one or tried one out think of the pistol and wouldn't mind giving a little review of pistol as far as its good qualities and maybe its bad qualities as well...since nothing is perfect ! I never owned a Sig... so any feedback would be helpful , thanks ! Oh yeah , I really like my BHP a lot but I want a DA pistol in 9mm as well...yes , I got the bug !
Old October 3, 2012, 07:35 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Oh yeah , I really like my BHP a lot but I want a DA pistol in 9mm as well...yes , I got the bug !
I will start off by saying that the Sig is not a DA gun unless you add the DAK kit. It is a TDA (traditional double action - DA/SA), meaning that the first shot after decocking will be a double action trigger pull and all subsequent shots will be single action. Also understand that there is no manual safety like with your BHP; it only has a decocker.

That aside, I love Sigs, the P226 and P229 in particular. They are some of the softest shooting and most accurate guns that I have had the pleasure of shooting, and there are not many people who dislike them. Pretty much the only complaints you will hear about them are from people who don't like the TDA trigger style, and that is not a bad thing about the gun necessarily. Sigs are great shooters, and very beautiful guns (especially the Elite Stainless models)!

Last edited by allaroundhunter; October 3, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:39 PM   #3
dfsixstring

+1 - I've loved Sigs since the first 226 I shot back in the 80's. They're "top shelf" stuff.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
Old October 3, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4
WIN1886

Thanks for correcting me and yes , I heard that that some don't like TDA in competition or even in general but TDA should be fine for me !
Old October 4, 2012, 06:03 PM   #5
WIN1886

I know the Sig Elite models have the the short reset trigger ( SRT ).....just wondering how the trigger pull is on Sig's in general ! I know I wasn't real impressed with the trigger pull on my "out of the box" BHP but since have done some work on it so its acceptable now ! I'm now wondering if the longer barreled P226 would be a bit better balanced for extensive target shooting....again I'm not buying this for personal defense carry just target and some out in the field use ! Can you get adjustable sights for this model ? The cost of the the X Five models are getting out of reach...for me anyway ! Thanks !
Old October 4, 2012, 06:18 PM   #6
RamItOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN1886
I'm now wondering if the longer barreled P226 would be a bit better balanced for extensive target shooting
P226 barrel 4.4"/ sight radius 6.3"/ oal 8.2" / 42.2oz
P229 barrel 3.9"/ sight radius 5.7"/ oal 7.6" / 40.2oz
Old October 4, 2012, 06:24 PM   #7
geetarman

I have the P229 Elite stainless in 9mm and a P226 Elite stainless in .40.

The P229 is a hoot to shoot. Well built, accurate and reliable.

It was my first SIG and is by far my favorite. Great gun.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 4, 2012, 06:28 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I'm now wondering if the longer barreled P226 would be a bit better balanced for extensive target shooting....again I'm not buying this for personal defense carry just target and some out in the field use
For target shooting, I would go with the P226....and I would also use it for home defense (that is just me though)
Old October 5, 2012, 04:59 PM   #9
WIN1886

I'm thinking the P226 might be the better choice as well for a range gun ! Do you think splurging for an X-5 all around version would be worth the extra coin over choosing the P226 Elite Stainless ? I'm really keen on having this pistol for possible competition use and want a very accurate shooter right out of the box ! I heard many claim the P226 ES and P229 ES are both very accurate shooters right out the box and one reviewer claimed he couldn't get the X-5 to shoot much better than his other Sig's in his hands anyway ! Seems like a lot of extra coin to spend for adjustable sights and more ammo capacity !
Old October 5, 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
BigJimP

I can't tell you what you should do - but there are 4 versions of the Sig 226 X-Five.....

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...26-x-five.aspx

a. L-1 model - adjustable trigger SAO - list is $ 2747
b. Competition model - no adj trigger - SAO list is $1976
c. Tactical model - no adj trigger - SAO - list is $ 1696
d. all around...no adj trigger ...and its DA/SA ..list is $ 1696...

On the L-1 model you adjust the trigger yourself to between 2.0 and 4.0 lbs and then lock it . Its a nice gun / if its in your budget. I have one in a
.40S&W and its a great gun. Its heavy / about 55 oz with a full mag in it.

The all around model of the X-Five makes no sense to me ...its the same DA/SA trigger in the standard 226's ...its a little different in other respects...but the Tactical model at the same price and SAO makes more sense to me at $ 1696. Competition model ...has the same trigger as the tactical ...all stainless ...

But they're 4 very different guns....

The L-1 model I have will shoot a 1" group at 25 yds with no problem...in my hands its not that good / old eyes too .../ but its very accurate - and the weight means it stays down as you're firing.

The trigger in all of the X-Fives ...is still hinged...like all 226's ...so it still moves thru an arc../ I have my L-1 set to break at about 2.5 lbs...and as a range gun its great. Mine holds 14 rds of .40S&W ...mags have a special base pad on them / that gives you the extra rounds.

I also have a pair of all stainless 226's ...that model was deleted a few yrs ago ...you can see them on the web site under deleted models. I have one in 9mm ( holds 15 ) and one in .40S&W (holds 12 ) ....and I like the standard sig DA/SA triggers in those guns as well. I think they're accurate ...but not as accurate as the X-Five L-1 model.

I don't compete with the L-1 model ...its a range toy to me...but I think you'd end up in an Open class with that gun.

I will tell you the finest 9mm I have in my safe....is a Wilson Combat 1911 - a 5" gun, with a spectacular trigger in it ...set to 3.75 lbs ...it'll shoot 1" groups at 25 yds as well.../ holds 10 rds using Wilsons new 9mm mags / its a Wilson Combat Protector model. I wouldn't rule out a good 1911 as a competition gun either ...( buy my Wilson 9mm retails for more than the X-Five L-1 model too )...its not cheap either / but they're both very nice guns...and so are my pair of all stainless 226's...
Old October 5, 2012, 08:12 PM   #11
ritepath

Thread is worthless without at least one picture.

Old October 6, 2012, 06:30 AM   #12
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Do you think splurging for an X-5 all around version would be worth the extra coin over choosing the P226 Elite Stainless ? I'm really keen on having this pistol for possible competition use and want a very accurate shooter right out of the box !
It depends on what type of competition you see yourself shooting. The X-Five is not allowed in all of the competitions as the standard P226 is, and the standard P226 is not a gun that can compete well in competitions that are dominated by the X-Five style of "race gun".
Old October 6, 2012, 07:51 PM   #13
WIN1886

Thanks all for the info......I can see this is going to take some thought rather than just buying something compulsively ! All the options mentioned sound like great choices....I hope I can find more of these Sig's at the local shops to see how they feel in hand and inspect them personally ! I even thought of getting another BHP and having two of them but I've wanted to own a Sig for awhile now ! Kinda nice to have a little variety in the quiver !