The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 12, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1
American Eagle

Talk me out of buying this!

I know I shouldn't be buying another firearm, but I've been itching for some black powder fun. No matter how much I tell myself no, I keep going to Cabela's website and looking at this Pietta Model 1858 with an 8 inch barrel.

How accurate to the original is this revolver? Would you recommend this revolver for someone with limited black powder firearms experience? if you guys can't talk me out of it, I don't think I'll be able to resist it any longer. She just looks so good.

PS: Pietta good enough or should I be looking at another brand?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104503680
Old August 12, 2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Antique Shooter

Pietta is a pretty good brand. I would say that it is darn close to the original. My first BP pistol was an 1860 Navy, and it didn't take long to get used to. So the 1858 would be easy enough for the beginner. Your groups should be well under a pie plate at 25yds.

Black powder is very fun, and addictive. (I guess that is why I now have six BP pistols.) It is also cheaper than shooting cartridge guns. The smoke just adds another cool factor.

The price is hard to beat if your going to buy it new from a store.

Ooops, I think I just talked you INTO buying it!!

Antique Shooter
Old August 12, 2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Hawg

It's pretty close to the original, not perfect but close enough I doubt anyone from the time period would look at it funny. Pietta is one of the top two brands.
Oh I forgot we were supposed to talk you out of it. Accuracy sucks, I doubt you'll get one to shoot better than 3 inch groups at 25 yds. offhand.
Old August 12, 2011, 05:35 PM   #4
American Eagle

Thanks Antique Shooter. I think I will be ordering the revolver next week.

I do have another question. Are there any companies making good replicas of historical single shot percussion cap pistols and rifles, and maybe flintlock rifles?

I want to jump into the Remington 1858 first since the bug for cap and ball revolvers has hit me hard, but I also want to eventually acquire single shot percussion cap pistols and rifles, and a flintlock or two.
Old August 12, 2011, 05:43 PM   #5
kwhi43

Pedersoli does. Here's the link http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/

Here's another one http://www.cherrys.com/ped_prep.htm
Old August 12, 2011, 07:08 PM   #6
blve

Wish I could, I ordered one Thursday.
Old August 12, 2011, 08:04 PM   #7
SurplusShooter

Talking people out akes to much time I say go for it and enjoy it.
Old August 12, 2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Hellgate

The Euroarms Remington is a very close copy of the Beals version that preceded the 1863 New Model Army. The Uberti is a closer copy of the NMA than the Pietta but considering cost, convenience and functionality the Pietta is a very good deal on a decently made gun. You'll enjoy stoking it with 30 grs FFFga .454 ball and BOOMing away with it. It is well made but a little beefy for my hands. I hear few complaints about them. You'll like it.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 13, 2011, 12:42 AM   #9
American Eagle

One last question....Does Cabelas make you send the black powder firearms to an FFL or straight shipping?

Last edited by American Eagle; August 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old August 13, 2011, 05:11 AM   #10
jldee55

Too late I already got me one, the Remmy. So now I own 2 BP revolvers. Guess I am infected with BP...lol I ordered it on Tue night it was delivered Thurs afternoon by UPS cause they require an adult signature..
Old August 13, 2011, 10:31 AM   #11
blve

Nope just order and comes to your door. You have to be 18 to sign for the package. (ooops aready taken care of)
Old August 13, 2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Ferrari

You're Hooked

And your pistol hasn't even arrived yet... LOL...

Cabela's... the 2nd amendment equivalent of crack dealers, will send the darn thing right to your doorstep.

What a great Country!!!

Might as well begin picking out another... the smoke won't have cleared before you crave an 1860 Colt to go with your new 1858 Remington.
Old August 13, 2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Eagle
Talk me out of buying this!
Sorry AE, if you have to ask for assistance, it's already too late for you so you might just as well give in to the desire.

Fingers (Don't ask me how I know) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 13, 2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Wolf and Raven

I doubt you could beat Cabela's price right now on a Factory New Pietta. You should buy it then pick up an Uberti, or a Euroarms version and compare. I'd put both of them above the Pietta. The grips on the Pietta's are definitely larger, and I believe the Uberti and Euroarms are truer to history.
Old August 13, 2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Hawg

Pietta is on the same level as Uberti quality wise and a step above Euroarms. Pietta grips are a lot fatter than they should be.
Old August 13, 2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Busyhands94

why should i talk you out of buying that. life is short so you need to enjoy the simple pleasures, blackpowder being one of them.
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico!
Old August 13, 2011, 09:11 PM   #17
Bill Akins

Talk you out of buying it from Cabela's? Okay.

The Cabela's 1858 Remy is $190.00 just for the revolver before taxes and with....NO accessories.

You should buy this 1858 Remy instead...if it doesn't go up too much on the bidding. Right now it is only $150.00, has 21 hours left to bid on, looks like new, and has only been fired 60 times. It comes with a WHOLE BUNCH of accessories as seen in the last picture of the ad. Even if the bidding went up and you wound up paying the same $190.00 price for it as the Cabelas or even a little more.....you'd still be hugely ahead of the game with all those accessories included. Everything is there to get you started very well shooting it.

Accessories I see in last pic of ad....
1. Plastic flask. Brass would be nice but at least it's a starter flask for you.
2. Bag of lead balls.
3. Bag of likely pre-lubed felt wads.
4. Straight line capper.
5. Powder measure.
6. Appears to be another powder measure and some small parts I can't quite make out.
7. Tube of BP lubricant.
8. Nipple wrench.
9. Padded zipper case.
10. Original box.

If you could get all that for under or near or just over $200.00 that would be a very good deal and much better than buying one from Cabela's where you only got the revolver for over $200.00 (by the time you pay tax which Cabela's will charge you). Nice thing about Gunbroker is if the seller is not in your state you don't pay state sales tax.

At least most people don't that is. I won't get into the actuality of the law, just know that most people do not voluntarily offer to pay tax to their state if they are buying a mail order item out of their state. Just the way it is and it isn't worth the state chasing everyone down to get the tax.

Here's the link.....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=245798196

Did I talk you out of buying it from Cabela's?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 13, 2011, 11:59 PM   #18
Hardy

Bought 4 or 5 (from Cabela)in the last year with R/D conversion cylinders from Taylor. What bothered me--- about 50% of them did not go into 3 cocks. Only 2 cocks. I think I know why. Check em! I just posted my remorse on another thread-BP retail need ... but? I do not want to sell a gun that does not function the way the springs were made to do it

WBH

WBH
Old August 14, 2011, 08:06 AM   #19
arcticap

I read posts about the many different revolvers and a wide variety of their issues for a long time before eventually buying a lightly used Remington with an extra cylinder. And I didn't even fire it until I bought a loading press because I knew that I didn't want to load it on the frame by using the gun's loading lever.
And I'm really glad that I bought the loading press too because by using that, having the extra cylinders and pre-measuring the powder loads at home, it all helps to save a lot of time and loading hassle when at the range.

Last edited by arcticap; August 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM.