The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 6, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1
pitz96

hunting illegal in Washington? and video law

I was reading an article about the US Supreme Court hearing a case brought by a man convicted of the crime of selling videos "depicting animal cruelty", specifically videos of dog fights filmed in Japan (where such fights are legal) and of pit bulls being trained on pigs and used for hog hunting.

The part that really surprised me was that the statement that all hunting is illegal in Washington. Can this be true? Here's a link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/19/us/19scotus.html

"Free Speech Battle Arises From Dog Fighting Videos"

"...The law applies to audio and video recordings of “conduct in which a living animal is intentionally maimed, mutilated, tortured, wounded or killed.” It does not matter whether the conduct was legal when and where it occurred so long as it would have been illegal where the recording was sold.

That means it may be a crime for an American to sell a video of a bullfight that took place in Spain, where bullfighting is legal. And because all hunting is illegal in Washington, a literal reading of the statute would make the sale of hunting videos illegal here..."
Old October 6, 2009, 05:41 PM   #2
azredhawk44

Perhaps by Washington, they meant Washington DC? I can't imagine that there is a hunting permit system in place in that city.

Therefore, the sale of your typical elk/deer/whatever hunting videos would be sale of depictions of "animal cruelty."
Old October 6, 2009, 06:01 PM   #3
COYOTE JLR

They meant Washington DC. At least I hope they're not so deluded as to believe that its illegal in Washington State. I've got my hunting license sitting right next to me as a type this.

It is kind of an interesting case though. And its one of those things where in parts I agree and at times I don't. The crush videos for example, freak me the hell out.... I mean I can't really think of anything to say about them other than that they feel wrong.

Dog fighting is not something I agree with and I'm glad its illegal in the states, but I don't think its right to ban the images. Just seems like too much censorship.

And hog hunting is a current and commonly practiced sport that isn't about undue cruelty so much as utilizing a tool.

I just think its hard to sit back and differentiate, from an all encompassing legal standpoint, between whats right and wrong when many things could be described in such similar ways, but they're very different in many others.