The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2007, 06:45 PM   #1
rain252

What tools do I need to take Rem 870 down?

Wondering what tools do I need to properly disassemble an 870 for through cleaning, as in taking the receiver and anything else needed all the way down? I don't mean to take every little screw out, just more than a simple field strip. Where can I read how to do it right?
Old June 28, 2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

To disassemble the 870 you'll need either a punch, or even better, a wooden golf tee.
This is used to push out the trigger group pins.

You need no other tools, unless you DO intend to disassemble everything including the bolt and trigger assembly, neither of which you need to do.

All that's needed is to remove the barrel, the forearm with the action bars, the bolt, the bolt slide, and the trigger group.
The bolt and trigger group are cleaned by spraying dripping wet with Rem-Oil, then draining and wiping off the excess, so there's no need to disassemble them.
Everything else is fully exposed for cleaning.

Here's a source for disassembly instructions.
This is just the owner's manuals, which will come with a new gun, or Remington will give you one free on request:

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Remington does NOT recommend disassembling the gun any farther, and as above, there's no need to.
One of the best features of the 870 is the modular way it's designed, so unlike a lot of other guns, when you field strip it, everything is exposed for cleaning, and you don't need a gunsmith's skills and tool kit to do proper maintenance.
Old June 28, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3
rain252

Outstanding, thanks!