The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 21, 2008, 07:32 AM   #26
stephen426

No kids yet so mine is right between the bed frame and the night stand and bed frame in a holster with one in the pipe. I also have my shotgun on the bed frame (along side the mattress), but chamber empty. The wife has the GP 100 between the mattress and frame on her side. When we have kids, I will probably get one of those electronic safes with the buttons that are configured like a hand print. I will most likely mount it to the back of the night

Many years ago, my cousin was burglerized at night. He was still pretty young and he heard and saw the guy. He pretended to sleep through it since he was afraid the guy might have a weapon. If you have to get up to gets weapon and this situation happened, you would be helpless. I hope all of us on the forum have a few safe guards to alert us before someone could make it all the way into our bedrooms. For me, that mean making it past the alram and the dog. We don't lock the bedroom door and wouldn't lock it if we had kids anyways. Some people do though as an extra barrier.

Finally, in the many years I have slept with a gun net to me, I have never woken up with it in my hands nor had it go off unintentionally. I do wake up pretty darn quick and I get my bearings almost immediately. I guess for those prone to sleep walking or those with post traumatic stress disorder, they should consider an extra level of security to prevent mishaps. A quick access gun safe and/or keeping the gun chamber empty might make sense.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:55 AM   #27
CarNPlaneNut

I have two kids and an alarm clock safe. I have a P99 w/one in the chamber as well as three mags. Of course, the hoodlum will have to get by my German Shepard and German Shorthair Pointer. Then they have to get upstairs. Should be plenty of time to retreive my firearm and be ready, even if they incapacitate the dogs.

Oh ya, we have a Basset Hound too. Harmless, but loud. He can wake the dead with his howling bark.

This is a cropped picture when my two dogs were playing....
Old November 21, 2008, 10:12 AM   #28
leadcounsel

$20 Sentry fireproof small lockbox/safe bolted to the floor next to the bed with loaded handgun. Unlock it at night, lock it in the morning.

Also have used the nightstand drawer or nightstand table top with loaded handgun.

Longgun in the closet with full magazine.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:38 AM   #29
Creature

No children (yet); Condition 1 in the nightstand drawer...right next to the old cellphone (that still can get through to 911) that is kept fully charged in case someone thinks to cut my phone lines.

Quote:
Basset Hound too. Harmless, but loud. He can wake the dead with his howling bark.
I have seen some totally vicious bassets hound puppies annihalate a pair of non-compliant bedroom slippers. Pretty shook up after seeing that...
Old November 21, 2008, 10:43 AM   #30
fisherman66

Who sold you the GSP and told you it was a Bassett?

Old November 21, 2008, 10:57 AM   #31
Creature

Read his post. He has three dogs...
Old November 21, 2008, 12:28 PM   #32
El Paso Joe

It has been a M39/M59/M639 loaded, locked, and hammer down with safety off for over thirty years. Even when the kids were at home - spent a lot of time teaching the kids gun safety.

If something happens at night that isn't supposed to, I can be awake pretty quickly. Really awake. And yes, the VA has been treating me for that for quite a few years...
Old November 21, 2008, 12:40 PM   #33
Sixer

^ LMAO..... That is a vicious lookin animal, especially for a Basset Hound!

I keep mine in arms reach just underneath my actual bed. No round in the chamber. I also think I'm borderline nocturnal... If it's 3am and I hear strange noises I will most likely be wide awake, gun(s) in hand.

If I happen to be taking a snooze... you could practically steal the bed Im sleeping on. Im not what you would call a "light sleeper".
Old November 21, 2008, 03:07 PM   #34
FLA2760

I use the "Wilderness Safepacker" between the mattress and boxspring. No small children here. If you have little ones a good option is the lock boxes with a mechanical lock that do not need batteries or a key

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

http://www.gunsafestore.com/pistol.htm

This is the one I used whem kids were young.

http://www.gunsafestore.com/279-S.htm
Old November 21, 2008, 07:07 PM   #35
Stevie-Ray

Sitting on top of my stereo receiver, which is right next to my head.
Old November 21, 2008, 07:28 PM   #36
jcjr3020

We got the blackhawk 45 in the OEM box in the top drawer (under the socks) with all 6 ready to go.
Old November 21, 2008, 08:52 PM   #37
eaglesnester

Sleeping with a firearm

Condition 1 in a shoulder holster strapped to your body. Learn to get over the discomfort if you feel the need to sleep with a locked and loaded weapon. After wearing it long enough when you go beddyby you will know its exact location like you know the position of your hand or any other part of your body. A big plus reaching for it out of a sound sleep. By the time you have it in your mit you should also be locked and loaded.
Old November 21, 2008, 11:12 PM   #38
exprt9

One under the pillow, another one inside my night stand drawer and another one in the night stand drawer on my wifes side of the bed.
Old November 21, 2008, 11:15 PM   #39
dabigguns357

i have this rig next to my bed at all times.Shotgun stays leaned up against dresser and snubbie stays in holster on my shotgun belt rig and both stay loaded.Yes i have kids and a safe but i have taken care of that too,i just lock my bedroom door and no one gets in.No children in my bedroom no exceptions,if my kids want something then they knock and we get up and go to them.

Old November 22, 2008, 12:07 AM   #40
TPAW

Quote:
I leave it on the nightstand
For us heavy sleepers, a bad guy could slip into your room and take it. Just a thought. I sleep alone, and lock the bedroom door.For a bad guy to get in, hopefully the noise would wake me up! I have a holster screwed to the back of my headboard. Easy access, just reach around.
Old November 22, 2008, 12:08 AM   #41
CarNPlaneNut

Thanks for the laughs guys.... I believe that dogs are a great deterent for thieves. Our German Shepard and German Shorthair Pointer are awesome guard dogs. I feel very safe having them around. Plus, they are great with the kids. As for the Basset, he's only viscious when attacking loaves of bread, which he can get off the back of the counter!

Here's what they look like when they are not playing:

Old November 22, 2008, 02:24 AM   #42
Sixer

Seriosly!?

Quote:
Condition 1 in a shoulder holster strapped to your body. Learn to get over the discomfort if you feel the need to sleep with a locked and loaded weapon. After wearing it long enough when you go beddyby you will know its exact location like you know the position of your hand or any other part of your body. A big plus reaching for it out of a sound sleep. By the time you have it in your mit you should also be locked and loaded.
Do you live in Russia? Seriously though, and I dont mean to pry, but why whould you go to bed with a locked and loaded weapon strapped to your body? I can only think of one other person that does the same...

Old November 22, 2008, 12:02 PM   #43
JohnH1963

In terms of being an average Joe civilian, do we really need to sleep with guns? Do we really need to carry guns? Do we really need to have guns?

In my civilian experiences, the answer is no, we dont really need any of this stuff. There has not been an incident at my house, or my neighbor's house or anywhere in the neighborhood, ever. I do travel around a lot and I really havent come upon one incident where there was a need to pull a gun.

There have been some hostile situations in my life where if I did pull a gun then it would have probably made things a lot worse.

However, the need to carry guns and have them by the bedside is the same as the need for nuclear weapons. In America, a burglar is deterred by the knowledge that some people might have guns by their bedside. Violence on the streets is deterred by the knowledge that some people might be carrying guns.

The necessity to carry and have guns is really for the deterence of criminal action. There are those rare times, however, when its more then just deterence, but the purpose behind carrying and having is to have that deterence.

I believe every homeowner should at least have a .38 revolver at the bare minimum. If it was known that everyone had a pistol in their house, then think of the amount of burglaries that would be reduced or the amount of at home violence that would be reduced.

I sure would not go knocking on someone's door in a strange neighborhood if I knew that there were very liberal gun laws and that most everyone had one...

If everyone carried a pistol on the street, Im willing to bet that there would a great reduction in overall crime. If I were a police officer, I would feel more comfortable knowing that everyone is armed around me.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:31 PM   #44
ragingbullpa

i have several myself

my .45 is close by where i sleep but i have to be fully awake to get it, my raging bull is loaded and ready but locked in a pistol carry case , but quickly accessible, upstairs in the spare bedroom i have a 870 rem 20 gauge locked and loadednear the hallway, plus i have two dogs that bark at any movement in the neighborhoodclose to the house , forgot about Duke the Neighbors Lab , No body walks the street late without everybody knowing it
Throwers Prayer- May My throws Never Land
Old November 22, 2008, 03:10 PM   #45
NickySantoro

1911 and a spare mag is in the bottom drawer of a two drawer nightstand on my side. Arms length away.
Old November 22, 2008, 03:11 PM   #46
Nigelcorn

I have a kid, but she is too young to be able to do anything with a pistol, yet. Still, I do enough stuff in my sleep (sleep walking, waking up in another room not knowing why I am there or what I am doing) that I keep my pistol in a place that requires quite a few conscious efforts to get it out and ready. It probably wouldn't be the quickest to get out if somebody were already in my room, but I think I would probably have enough time if I heard somebody trying to get into the house.

Besides, knowing myself, the chances are higher that I would personally hurt somebody by having a gun either on my person or close enough that I could do something with it without fully waking up first.

As a side note, I didn't always sleep walk, it just started suddenly one day, for no known reason. You never know when the same might happen to you...
Old November 22, 2008, 10:06 PM   #47
skeeter1

Well, this works for me.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=437372

Mounted right next to my bed. If I'm awake, I keep a NAA mini-revolver

http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html

in my pocket. It might be a "mouse gun", but I'd sure hate to be on the receiving end of a CCI Velocitor.
Old November 23, 2008, 03:37 PM   #48
besafe2

Nightstand drawer, easy reach near my cell phone. If I'm awake enough to get I'm good to go
Old November 23, 2008, 04:41 PM   #49
ecd1211

I have mine in a GunVault safe bolted to my nightstand. I open the safe at night and pull the gun out enough to make an easy reach for grip. I have it loaded, but nothing in the chamber. The safe is closed during the day.

There's also a 12ga shotgun under the bed.
Old November 23, 2008, 06:06 PM   #50
Ginger

"Sleeping with a firearm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition 1 in a shoulder holster strapped to your body. Learn to get over the discomfort if you feel the need to sleep with a locked and loaded weapon. After wearing it long enough when you go beddyby you will know its exact location like you know the position of your hand or any other part of your body. A big plus reaching for it out of a sound sleep. By the time you have it in your mit you should also be locked and loaded."

I would like to hear more about this. In my situation and the layout of my home this is the only solution which feels safe to me. I am a total newbie though, and want to hear as much about this solution as possible.

I also unfortunately know that sometimes, circumstances do merit measures that might seem extreme to someone who isn't being hunted.