The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 22, 2008, 10:15 PM   #1
tarheellefty

Broken extractor on AMT rifle

I have a single shot 308 (palma rifle ) that has an AMT action (out of rifle business for some yrs ). I bought it 2nd hand and it shoots GREAT . But I broke the extractor AGAIN . I broke it a yr ago being stupid ( seeing if some old brass I had would chamber ) . I searched Benchrest Central forums and found a post saying that an extractor for a stolle Panda would work . I bought one - it did work - for a while , and after a talented friend did a lot of filing and hand fitting . But now it's broken again , and I don't want to go that route again ; I'm looking for a ( more ) permanant solution .

I saw a post on BR central saying that this action was a remington clone , so I was wondering if having a SAKO style extractor is an option . I've heard mention of this, but am not really familiar with it - more specifically , what are the pros and cons ? I see it listed commonly on various gunsmiths site as a service offered ( generally $ 125 -150 +) . Besides the cost , is there a reason not to have this done ? I asked one friend who shoots Benchrest a lot ; he thought it was known as being slightly less safe if you're pushing the pressure limits hard ( I don't - 308 plain vanilla loads ) .

The only other option I see is to have a machinist make replacement , which would probably be as much or more ( I think I'd have plenty of extra made up then post on various forums that I had some available.....) . Any one care to guess what that would cost ? Any other ideas ? this gun shoots too good to leave at home ...
Thanks!
Old April 23, 2008, 01:44 AM   #2
clem

Try these guys:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
Old April 23, 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
tarheellefty

Clem- That company only has a few parts listed for AMT ( extractor not one of them ) .
I e-mailed Brownells ; they couldn't help either .