The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 24, 2015, 12:53 AM   #1
foolzrushn

'invalid redirect' screen after login password

After I log in, I get a screen that tells me "invalid redirect url". This happens on both my desktop computer (xp with Firefox) and my not so smart LG TV. With the LG TV I can use the back arrow and then I get the Welcome, xxxx screen. With the desktop, if I use the back arrow it takes me back to the inital screen with my user name, ready to enter my password. On the desktop I must select the link for 'the firing line forums' to advance to the Welcome, xxxx screen.

I looked for others with this problem but didn't see any others with a similar problem in support. I would suspect my computer except for the LG TV doing the same thing.

I have a work around, but I thought I should mention this to someone.

Thanks

certified 'soap welder'
Old June 24, 2015, 01:57 AM   #2
OnTheFly

Have you tried clearing your cookies?

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old June 24, 2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's a new one. I've not heard of it before.

I agree, try manually clearing your TFL cookies.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 24, 2015, 02:28 PM   #4
tyme
Staff

It's probably because you're logging in over SSL.

vBulletin doesn't comprehend http/https equivalence, almost everyone uses plain http, and vbulletin's concept of its own url is http://sitename. That's why you were getting those errors. (You were logged in, it just wasn't auto-redirecting you.) However, vB has a redirect url whitelist that I've just discovered and fixed up, so you shouldn't get those errors anymore.

(Yes, I know dual ssl/non-ssl is silly from a theoretic perspective, but the reality is there's a lot of embedded content on TFL. Forcing everyone over to SSL will break a lot of embedded images. TFL will have to go SSL-only eventually, but when it does all embedded images to insecure external sites will basically become links, which will confuse a lot of people, which in turn will give staff heartburn.)

The other wonderful things that need doing, but have been put off and put off and put off, are support for ipv6 and migration to phpbb. All these changes will probably be made at the same time, to avoid multiple bouts of confusion, but probably no earlier than late this year.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; June 24, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old June 25, 2015, 09:20 PM   #5
foolzrushn

invalid redirect screen

Tyme,
What you did to the white list must have done the trick. I logged in from the desktop using the same bookmark as always (didn't change anything) and did not get the redirect. Went straight to the Welcome xxx screen.

As for the cookies I think that they are dumped when I log off unless I am confusing this site and the message that I get on another.

thanks, foolzrushn

certified 'soap welder'
Old August 27, 2015, 11:23 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
As for the cookies I think that they are dumped when I log off
That is an option under INTERNET OPTIONS.

F. Guffey

Tags
invalid redirect , login