The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 18, 2014, 06:54 PM   #1
BumbleBug

An improvement suggestion that I think would be handy...

I know the forum uses some "canned" software for its basic function. I don't know if it's a configuration option, but it would be nice if the original poster (OP) had a special color or indicator by his name. In a long thread, it would be nice to quickly tell when the poster is responding.

FWIW...

Thank You!
Old December 18, 2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Not a bad idea, but not possible with the vBulletin software.
Old December 19, 2014, 07:15 AM   #3
tyme
Staff

My inclination and intent is to convert the board to phpbb fairly soon. Meaning months, probably not years. The future of vbulletin has been nicely dead-ended by IB.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 1, 2015, 02:14 PM   #4
johnelmore

Be careful. I know of some forums which changed color, changed format, etc and lets say the results were not positive. The current format, although dated, works well and everyone seems to be satisfied or satisfied up to a point. Changing it might lower satisfaction.
Old January 1, 2015, 02:43 PM   #5
Sevens

Our wonderful place here does not belong to us, and we certainly have no right to cast a vote. But I would have to agree that if our opinions were asked -- I really like the software as it is now and has been since I arrived.
Old January 1, 2015, 04:03 PM   #6
kutz

It ain't broke, so.
Old January 1, 2015, 10:34 PM   #7
CowTowner

^^^^^ That
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 2, 2015, 09:26 AM   #8
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme
...The future of vbulletin has been nicely dead-ended by IB.
tyme, Thank you for your excellent job maintaining the vBulletin software & being a good DBA. The resistance to change is always strong, but some times, things are forced to happen.
Old January 3, 2015, 12:21 AM   #9
zach_

I like that this forum does not do the "fix it till it is broke" thing.