The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 6, 2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Zepfan54

Stoeger 8040

Can anyone help me with this question? I just purchased a Stoeger Cougar 8040. Took it to the range yesterday and the pistol handles and shot great. Very accurate right out of the box! The issue I have is after I started cleaning it I noticed that it has a plastic guide rod! I would like to know if anyone has had a problem with this, and if it is possible to replace it with a Beretta PX4 Storm guide rod? They seem identical mechanically! All advice would be appreciated.
Old September 6, 2016, 08:28 PM   #2
lee n. field

Plastic guide rod is not a problem. The Gen3 Glock I have now, and several other guns I've had over the years, have or have had a plastic guide rod. No need to swap it out if it's no causing problems.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 6, 2016, 08:34 PM   #3
pblanc

I replaced the plastic guide rod/recoil spring assembly on my Beretta 8045 with a steel guide rod/spring assembly.

I got it either from Numrich or Brownells and I can't remember which. The Beretta Cougar 8040 guide rod assembly should work in the Stoeger.

But the polymer guide rod is not a problem. In fact, some folks think they are better since a slightly bent steel guide rod can bind the spring and cause failures. The steel rod adds slightly more weight to the upper which some claim tames recoil, but I surely couldn't notice any difference.

So basically the answer is no, it is not a problem. Many quality pistols now have polymer recoil spring guide rods. But if you want to change it, you might be able to find a steel rod assembly.
Old September 9, 2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Closing thread as duplicate of one in Semi-Autos.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread