The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2015, 08:45 PM   #1
Black Rifle Operator

Best Reflex-Red Dot Sight for Mossy 500 Tactical ?

Need some help on which reflex or red dot type sight for
my mossberg 500 tactical set up, i have the weaver top rail
base on it and i don`t want to buy 5 or 6 different kinds only
to have them break-fail and just end up wasting my money.
What type or kind have any of you fellow members used and how
are they working out for you ?

Thanks for any advice

( I can always go back to the front bead only method )
Old January 20, 2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Virginian

I have had a Burris SpeedBead on one of my duck guns for 3 years. Have also shot a bunch of clays with it. So far, trouble free. They have changed the packaging and now sell the mount system - which is what made mine a SpeedBead - and the sight system separately. I forget which sight system it is but you can look on their web page and get all the dope.
Old January 20, 2015, 09:09 AM   #3
skizzums

I know people knock chep stuff. but I have two sightmark. the regular reflex sight and the sure-shot with the metal housing. I actually like the cheaper one better because it has a better view and just seems easier to aquire target. but they have both been outstanding for over a year, they have ben on a 12ga and 300blk pistol being put through horrendous recoil, they don't flicker under high stress or anything. they are also super bright, I would eccomend them to anyone.

I prefer this one down here, just lighter, less bulky and faster to use. I guess it wouldn't be as tough without the housing, but I actually just threw onto the ground two days ago when I accidentally started a fire and nothing broke on it. I am not easy on it at all.

http://jbtoolsales.com/sight-mark-sm...BZNhoChTDw_wcB
http://www.afterschool.com/p/sightma...pid=FPS-321222

I love the reticle choices, my fav being the circle with the dot in the middle
. I am sure that a magnifier isn't something you would be interested in for a shotgun, but if yo do want the option, you will nee to get one with the quick detach QD mount to co-witness with the magnifier. the QD mount is too bulky in my opinion and would rather not have it.
Old January 21, 2015, 04:16 PM   #4
ezmiraldo

I'm interested in this very question myself. Seems like there are lots of cheapo options out there, but I wonder how well they'd hold up to recoil from hot 12-gauge buckshot or slugs... Will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Old January 21, 2015, 08:05 PM   #5
FITASC

Quote:
( I can always go back to the front bead only method )
Depending on the distances involved, that might be your better alternative.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:29 AM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

I watched one guy shooting skeet with a reflex sight. He did pretty well, but had trouble with the second of doubles. He seemed too late acquiring a firing resolution.
Old January 22, 2015, 06:57 AM   #7
Virginian

Some folks take a little while to get used to it. But as soon as you forget about it and just start looking at the target and pointing the gun again it's about the same speed.
Years ago when I first got interested in optical sighting systems I got a Weaver Qwik-Point. It was big, heavy, fogged up easily, and I had a slew of mount issues, but when it worked it worked great. Anyway, after reading about it I shot some skeet with an occluded sight. That's where you block the sight tube so all you can see looking thru it is the red dot. Your other eye sees the target, and your brain combines the two. Shot a 25 straight the second round with it that way. Amazed a bunch of folks, including myself.