The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 11, 2013, 09:42 AM   #1
twojarslave

CC gear and weight loss

Hello TFL members. Long-time reader, first time poster.

I am currently about 40% through my weight loss goal (315 lb start, 280 lb currently) and I am finding that both IWB and OWB carry are becoming much more comfortable as I lose more fat, gain muscle mass and my body changes shape.

I am considering investing in some new gear. A new, better belt and a new holster for my M&P Shield 9mm are tops on my list. I also own a Glock 19 and I am beginning to suspect that both carrying and concealing it will become much easier as more weight drops, perhaps to the point where it will replace the Shield as my go-to carry piece. The gear I am considering is a Comp-Tac kydex-reinforced belt and either a Raven Phantom kydex holster or a Hidden Hybrid leather-backed kydex holster (similar to Crossbreed Supertuck) for my Shield. I like the IWB/OWB versatility of both holsters and they seem to be well-reviewed.

Before I pull the trigger on any of these purchases, I would like to know if any other TFL members have undergone significant weight loss and how it changed their carry preferences. Did you find that the gear that worked best for you when you were 50lbs heavier no longer suited your needs?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.
Old August 11, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

my input...

That's great about your wt loss and fitness plans but do it healthy, .

As for holsters there are many many choices for right hand Glock 19 size holsters.
I'd suggest checking or buying a design you can adjust or convert for different angles or uses(FBI, high rise, cross draw, IWB, paddle).
A pistol holster like polymer or Kydex can be light, low cost, easy to maintain or conceal, and provide retention/security.
Blackhawk SERPA, Safariland ALS, Blade tech, FIST, Unkle Mike's Reflex, Galco.

A leather rig from a top holster maker may meet your needs but you'll be limited to how or where on your gun belt you can carry it.

shop times may vary too. Always call or ask if the holster will fit tbe model you own.
Handguns change styles or sizes often and a little modification may cause it not to work right after you waited months.
Top brands include Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, Ted Blocker, Kirkpatrick Gunleather, Ken Null, Greg Kramer, El Paso Saddlery, Alessi, High Noon Holsters & Wright Leather Works.

I like holsters that offer a bodyshield and a retaining band so you can re holster one handed. It should fit correctly and not have sharp or rough edges. The Wright Leather Works Predator looks great as does the Milt Sparks BN55 holster.
Old August 12, 2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Coach Z

Congrats

First and foremost congrats on your improved health, it will pay huge didvends as I'm sure you already know.

As for holsters I'm a HUGE fan of the crossbreed IWB holsters. They make them for most every popular gun. They're comfortable, well made and have a fantastic warranty.
Old August 12, 2013, 08:48 PM   #4
SgtLumpy

Good job on the body reconfigure.

I think that overweight, particularly a spare tire, interferes especially with Inside Waist Band and probably also Outside Waist Band holsters. There's just some flab up there getting in the way of where your hand needs to be to get a grip on the gun.

I can't imagine ANY style holster that, if you acclimate to it while heavy, won't feel BETTER once you drop poundage.

You may need a new belt! But that's a badge of honor I think most would gladly pay, in exchange for getting healthier.

Sgt Lumpy
Old August 14, 2013, 04:04 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

Just don't get all hasty and lose ALL the weight. After all, it does have some uses. Such as it can work as a soft body armor, protecting your real innards from some slower projectiles.
And don't forget that a lot of skinny people complain about not being able to conceal full size handguns.

My jealousy is so transparent, isnt it?
Old August 14, 2013, 07:58 PM   #6
X_shooter

312 down to 259 and counting here. IWB is much more enjoyable without the belly and love handles. It was just OK before and I couldnt do it for too long especially while sitting. I have larger guns, but my little pf-9 worked more comfortably and didnt print so I carried it more. You will find a good belt spending less time fighting the rolls and more time stabilizing your holster. It rides where its supposed to be and doesnt shift.

I have a white hat IWB hybrid that fit great, but now it fits even better even with a large pistol. I just recently made a new kydex IWB for my g36 and it dissapears on me.

Keep doing what you are doing man. Its worth it.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:33 PM   #7
twojarslave

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and recommendations. I think I'll stick with my current belt for now, which does the job for my relatively light M&P Shield. I'll buy a top-of-the line one when the belly finishes its disappearing act.

I will, however, be springing for a nice new IWB holster. As the spare tire gets deflated (even more since my last post) it just gets more and more comfortable.

Another day, another gain.