The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 28, 2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Badcompany

AR-15 on a budget

So i am a broke college student, i make relatively little money-most of which goes toward bills and tuition. However, i have managed to save up a bit of money and i want a good, reliable AR-15 for 700-800.

I was thinking the smith and wesson sport model or the bushmaster carbon 15 (although i am beginning to lose interest in the AR-pistols, due to the fact that i enjoy having a stock).

Suggestions and/or advice on good ARs that fit my budget would be wonderful
Old July 28, 2011, 02:14 AM   #2
mcdowellbri

They make that same Carbon-15 line as a rifle as well, or at least they did last time i peeked their website.

You can buy a stripped lower and pick and choose parts cheaper than you can buy a retail rifle from most places, youll probably end up goin with some lower end parts, but as a cheap plinker that you clean often it doesnt much matter.

also you can get a DPMS rifle in around the $650 range in one of the carbine/lightwieght barrel models they offer.
Old July 28, 2011, 03:07 AM   #3
ndking1126

Without realizing it, you just told me you want a Stag Arms AR.

Good thing I was here to interpret for you!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...p/cPath/36_800
Old July 28, 2011, 04:42 AM   #4
RT

This looks pretty good
http://www.pkfirearms.com/Smith__Wesson_Rifles/138/c

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport Rifle

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport Rifle features a 16" barrel with 1/8 twist. 5.56 NATO chamber, Adjustable front and rear sights, 6-position collapsable stock, M4 ramped flat top receiver, Carbine gas system, standard trigger and A2 flash hider. Includes one 30 round PMAG.
On Sale For $679.00
Old July 28, 2011, 07:20 AM   #5
closetgunnut

I just bought/built my first AR this past spring.

I got a Plum Crazy (composite) complete lower, a Del-Ton 5.56 1x9 flattop upper and a carry handle rear site for about $600.00. I have about 500 rounds through it with no problems. Now I have to find the load that it likes.

I found my Upper and Lower on Gun Broker. You just have to be patient and look for the right deal.

Closet

"There's no drug test for stupid."
Old July 28, 2011, 11:12 AM   #6
saddlerocker

M&P sport will be the highest quality I think. And you can find it for $600
you don't get a forward assist or dust cover, but those 2 things are basically cosmetic. And its not chrome lined, but that melonite coating has proven to be very very durable.

You can customize a rifle kit from Del-Ton in that price range and get the options you want, which is really nice, but quality may be lacking.
Old July 28, 2011, 06:18 PM   #7
tsmith247

Del-Ton rifle kit would be a great way to go (especially for a college student just starting out!) I built one for a friend (Del-Ton RKT 100 M4 Flat top upper). Easy assembly, and good price.

Tags
ar-15 , budget , suggestions