The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 5, 2016, 05:30 PM   #51
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I agree, expect a social attrition like smoking.
We'll see things banned by statute. There will still be shootings. The government will start a "see something, say something" sort of program. Perhaps there will be rewards for turning in your gun-owning neighbors.

It won't have to happen all that often. A few highly-publicized busts and prosecutions will be enough to have a chilling effect. After all, who wants to explain the possibility of a multi-decade prison sentence to the spouse or family who just aren't as enthusiastic about the 2nd Amendment?

As for an actual organized, effective armed resistance? I don't see it happening. We lost that spark as a people long ago. Think about it. Most people don't even vote. Those that do act as if they're Guardians Of The Republic. Someone who doesn't welch out of jury duty acts as if it's the 13th labor of Hercules.

If arms have to be twisted for that minimal level of civic participation, how do we really expect the public to organize in resistance to something like gun confiscation?

Our opponents have played a VERY long game, and they benefit from this cultural slide towards apathy.
Old August 5, 2016, 05:45 PM   #52
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
As for an actual organized, effective armed resistance? I don't see it happening.
what about the private militia movement? They seem to be unorganized except they all have one thing in common, preserving the Second Amendment. What are their numbers at, I would think collectively there is enough of them to form a credible standing army.
Old August 5, 2016, 06:12 PM   #53
rickyrick

Quote:
2. Bad anti candidate gets in and Congress is split. NO ban unless some horror show rampage causes a moral panic and then a ban.
we have yet to see what the"October Surprise" is....

Also, in reference to Glenn's post # 48, option 3 with states tightening the screws is the most likely outcome. I agree with the other scenarios he laid out.
Old August 5, 2016, 07:34 PM   #54
natman

Quote:
I agree, expect a social attrition like smoking. You do what?

That's certain out there now.
That's not a coincidence, it's part of the anti gun plan.

Quote:
"We need to revolutionize the way we look at guns, like what we did with cigarettes. It used to be that smoking was a glamour symbol -- cool, sexy, macho. Now it is dirty, deadly -- and banned."

Rosenberg's thought is that if we could transform public attitudes toward guns the way we have transformed public attitudes toward cigarettes, we'd go a long way toward curbing our national epidemic of violence.

This, of course, isn't medicine -- though smoking, obviously, leads to medical problems. It's a combination of education and social ostracism, buttressed by legal sanction...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-5ceb4fa43cf4/
The Rosenberg quoted used to be the head of The Center for Injury Prevention, a division of the CDC. It was his wildly biased anti gun "research" that prompted Congress to forbid the CDC from continuing to advocate gun control.

The government has no business being in the social ostracism business, AKA discrimination.
Old August 5, 2016, 11:43 PM   #55
dajowi

"I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record."

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

While he says all the right things to us, (with the above exception) he's been saying all the wrong things to so many others. So much so that it seems his entire candidacy is on the brink of collapse.

There is no doubt that we should be worried about Hillary because Donald Trump is going to self destruct in 10...9...8...7...
Old August 6, 2016, 08:02 AM   #56
P5 Guy

Why?

It is my hobby. I like putting holes in paper targets and long distance. My local range only has 100 yards but I enjoy shooting, reloading and even cleaning my few guns. Why are these 'public servants' so worried about me?
I would imagine that in a couple of decades technological advances will make projectile spitting arms obsolete. I know I may not be alive then but will the desire to ban citizens from arms be as fervent?
Really I just want to be left alone to enjoy life. What gives with these folks?
Old August 6, 2016, 09:05 AM   #57
BarryLee

Quote:
Really I just want to be left alone to enjoy life. What gives with these folks?
It seems to me that the group that once spoke of diversity and doing your own thing has morphed into the Party of Political Correctness and Groupthink. They decide what you need, how much you need, when you need it and all “reasonable” people agree. Remember – It Takes a Village…
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 6, 2016, 11:50 AM   #58
natman

Quote:
It seems to me that the group that once spoke of diversity and doing your own thing has morphed into the Party of Political Correctness and Groupthink. They decide what you need, how much you need, when you need it and all “reasonable” people agree. Remember – It Takes a Village…
They're all for diversity - of everything except opinion. They've boiled down the entire spectrum of human emotion to "hate" and Facebook likes. Any deviation is meet with an emotional meltdown. At a local university, students were in tears and went to housing department management demanding that they take down the object that they found unbearably upsetting - a Trump poster.

Quote:
Early this year, an emergency meeting of [student housing department] student leadership and senior staff was called as a response to a student who had placed a Trump poster in the window of his dorm room. In this four hour long meeting, a series of tearful resident advisors appealed to senior staff to forcibly ban all mentions of the bigoted presidential candidate from campus whether satirical or otherwise. Citing a damaged sense of community as a result of the poster, sections of our student leadership criticized the fact that it wasn’t immediately removed by the housing department and stated that allowing for the poster to remain in the window was equivalent to USF openly endorsing anti-immigration policy.

https://sffoghorn.org/2016/04/28/out...ee-expression/
They'll take the Second Amendment first, the First Amendment second.

Last edited by natman; August 6, 2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old August 6, 2016, 01:56 PM   #59
Tom Servo
Staff

Let's avoid drifting into pure R/D, left/right politics, folks. That way lies madness and thread closure.
Old August 8, 2016, 09:24 AM   #60
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
If arms have to be twisted for that minimal level of civic participation, how do we really expect the public to organize in resistance to something like gun confiscation?
Personally, I view voting and personal property as two different things. People generally in the U.S. may be more territorial to their own personal property than voting, especially if they see the system as corrupt. That being said, I think an organized resistance to gun confiscation is unlikely. Organized resistance to gun confiscation may become more likely if there is heavy resistance to it involving sieges, shootouts, etc. I'm sure the general media will continue to paint those defending their guns as wack jobs but if the police kill enough people just for their guns, then that may be enough to galvanize the rest of the gun owners into organized resistance against gun confiscation.
Old August 8, 2016, 12:41 PM   #61
Glenn E. Meyer

We really don't do organized armed resistance threads, so let's get back on track or this get closed.

We discuss the technical issues of the law and civil rights issues. Plenty of other places to do the 'Red Dawn' story.

As far as the social approbation attack, I give you two instances:

1. The Atlantic have a quite negative view of a program for young people:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...-shoot/494429/

While the story has positive aspects - the headline suggests a camp for rampage nuts.

2. The negative social media response to the first Olympic gold medal.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...laws/88333030/
Old August 8, 2016, 01:28 PM   #62
rickyrick

We really are only marking time until the next law.
They are prepping for the opportunity that is potentially coming up with the new POTUS and fresh new SCOTUS judges.

They will chip away at public opinion until Mrs. Clinton is elected.

This is the Super Bowl election for guns... If we luck out and a pro-gun candidate gets into office, then we buy time... 4 years; but that does nothing to stop the onslaught at state levels. If we don't, it will be the beginning of the end.

In my opinion, we saw the last pro-gun president 7 years ago.
Old August 8, 2016, 07:26 PM   #63
Koda94

Quote:
They are prepping for the opportunity that is potentially coming up with the new POTUS and fresh new SCOTUS judges
this is true. This election is more about who gets to appoint potential new SCOTUS positions lasting much longer than whoever wins the presidency...
Old August 8, 2016, 08:05 PM   #64
Glenn E. Meyer

Historically, GWB said that he would sign the AWB if it got to his desk. Luckily, the Congress did not oblige.

Now some said that was clever politics as he knew that would not happen but still could pretend to worry about the children. I regard that as dishonest.

Granted he did the TX CHL. The AR seems to be litmus test of a true understanding of the RKBA.
Old August 8, 2016, 08:41 PM   #65
Koda94

Quote:
The AR seems to be litmus test of a true understanding of the RKBA.
It may seem like that but if the antis really had a limiter they would go for handguns before AR15s considering...

even many gun owners support the AWB but they don’t realise the only way gun control will theoretically work is if all guns are banned including hunting guns.

the antis wont stop with AR15s
Old August 8, 2016, 09:34 PM   #66
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
In my opinion, we saw the last pro-gun president 7 years ago.
I'm gonna go with 54 years ago.
Old August 9, 2016, 07:18 AM   #67
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
It may seem like that but if the antis really had a limiter they would go for handguns before AR15s considering
They already tried that and failed. Before it was "Brady Campaign" it was called "Handgun Control, Inc." and before it was called that it was the "National Coalition to Ban Handguns." The shift to "assault weapons" came because the other gun ban organization Violence Policy Center correctly realized they were an easier target. They were involved rarely in crime but often in high-profile crimes. At that time, they weren't common even among gun owners. And their major defining characteristic was they were "scary" which allowed a lot of vague language that could later be used to inch gun control forward.

The same language Martha Healey just used to justify banning broad swaths of firearms in MA is almost verbatim from the federal ban.

Because when you get right down to it, what is the defining feature of an "assault weapon"? A detachable magazine and semi-automatic. If you can get people to ban guns based on that idea because those guns are scary looking, you are more than halfway to a handgun ban. I'd say they knew exactly what they were doing when they picked a firearm that was used more often in service rifle competition than any crime to demonize.