The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2005, 10:34 PM   #1
cdoc42

Wow! Wow!

I have a Sako in 7mm STW that put 7 shots of 160gr Sierra with 79gr H1000 in less than 1/2" at 100 yd. Well, it used to do that. All of a sudden, I could throw corn at a barn and get a better group. I had started with moly bullets (done myself), so I thought maybe moly buildup in the throat was the problem. Tried cleaning it and patches would look dark, but not black, but no change in accuracy.

Tonight I decided to REALLY clean it. Since moly dissolves in water I used 7-Mule Team Borax; lots of black patches. Then Quick-Scrub. Then Kroil/Shooter's Choice -2/3 - 1/3. Some Blue on patch, so intensify treatment with Tetra Gun (some ammonia - can smell it). More Blue. Switch to Sweets. TONS of blue. Wash it out with Shooters Choice- less intense blue, but still blue. Patch it with Quick-Scrub and let it dry. Patches look rather clean. Wash with S. Choice again- still blue!! Sweets again and let it sit for 4 hours. Lots of Blue. Wow! How come Moly didn't stop all this copper accumulation?? Quick-Scrub, dry. Patch with Iosso cream. TONS of black!!!!! Still has Moly?!?! Brass brush with Iosso. Patch- still black. Wow again.
Patch with Shooter's Choice and leave it until tomorrow, stop and come up to the computer to tell all you guys what I've experienced.
Old September 14, 2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Tim R

If you read the instructions, you will find you should not leave SC in over night. 7 Mule Team? You would have been better off using JB bore paste.
Old September 15, 2005, 01:30 AM   #3
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
All those solvents/solutions...

And you still have a barrel left?!

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old September 15, 2005, 01:47 AM   #4
Powderman

What is happening, is that you are scrubbing through successive layers of fouling that has really gunked up your bore.

Here's a tip: Patch your barrel out with some Hoppe's and dry patches. Now, saturate a patch with Kroil, push it through the bore and let it sit overnight.

Get a good bronze bore brush, dip it in Kroil and, using a bore guide, scrub the pluperfect crap out of that bore. Use full strokes--all the way out, then back through. (Either do this outside, or you can get an attachment called a Bore Hog that captures your dirty patches in a used soft drink bottle--available from Brownells.)

Now, soak a patch in Kroil, and use some JB Compound.

After two or three cycles of this, flush the bore out with another patch soaked in Kroil, then do a normal cleaning. You should notice a difference almost immediately. Good luck!
Old September 15, 2005, 07:17 AM   #5
cdoc42

Thanks, powderman; that'll be my project for tonight.
Old September 19, 2005, 09:48 AM   #6
Smokey Joe

Results??

Cdoc42--So, now it's 4 days later--What did you discover abt yr bore?

BTW, it is a gunsmith's axiom that sudden inaccuracy is almost always caused by a bore gunked up like a sewer pipe. You're probably saving yourself a $40-50 charge from a gunsmith for doing only what you are doing yourself--just cleaning the thing back down to bare steel. My gunsmith friend says he does this all the time.

Now--Is your accuracy back to where it was??

--Smokey Joe
Old September 19, 2005, 01:05 PM   #7
Foxman

Having read the comments on the Lilja web site, http://www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm
with which I entirely agree and although they don't mention it, the fact that the moly vapourises and leaves an extremely corrosive residue. I would not put any moly coated bullets through any of my rifles. As they have shown with proper tests there is no real advantage and plenty of negatives, including the problem our friend has got, which they advise can only really be got out with barrel lapping, which shortens the barrel life!
Any engineer worth his salt can tell you that the effect could never be that which is claimed and would agree with their summary.
Keep cleaning and hoping it comes out ok, the Kroil and bronze brush is certainly the best hope.