The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 10, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Rifleman1952

Jessie Jackson Claims Semi-autos Can Blow Up Railroads

There are people, who actually believe such claims. For the anti-Second Amendment crowd, it's about disinformation. It is up to us to keep telling the truth.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ar...railroads.aspx
Old February 10, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Frasier

The sad part is there are people out there who will believe this nonsense. I wonder why the army has to issue anti-tank missiles when the army can just stop the enemy tanks with a 9mm
My younger anti gun sister was convinced that Adam Lanza bought his rifle with a fake id and buys into any anti gun garbage spewed by politicians, who seem very clueless about guns. For the record, she is the oddball, as the rest of the family supports the 2nd Amendment.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:08 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Was he thinking of the old steam engines that could blow if their boilers were pierced? Is Jackson aware that within the US that no one other than RR museums or RR clubs operate steam engines anymore?
Old February 10, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
KMAX

JJ's claims might be useful to the pro-2A side if they could be presented to the general public in a way to show how outrageous some of the antis are and how out of touch with reality they are. I have heard a lot of BS in my time, but this is pretty close to the top of the list. I don't put any stock in what JJ says because I think he has always been a rabble rouser anyway. BTW, what church does he preach at?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 10, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
hardworker

If it was a 45 I'd be more inclined to believe it, but 9mm...
Old February 10, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
horatioo

In the article Jackson says, "these weapons", but there is no antecedent to "these". Who knows what he is really talking about. The press lies. The press who believe what I believe lie, the press who oppose what I believe lie.

Who knows what to believe when reading an article.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:46 PM   #7
KMAX

^^ True. The press is notorious for getting info wrong, so it is hard to know what he really did say.

Old February 10, 2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Rifleman1952

Hooratio

Quote:
Who knows what to believe when reading an article.
Do you really think Jessie does not want to ban semi-autos? Just listen to Jessie in his own words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7aZQXzjDc
Old February 10, 2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAX
...The press is notorious for getting info wrong, so it is hard to know what he really did say.
He really said it. The video of the interview on Fox is here.

Sad.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:02 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
In the article Jackson says, "these weapons", but there is no antecedent to "these". Who knows what he is really talking about.
Quote:
True. The press is notorious for getting info wrong, so it is hard to know what he really did say.
It's not hard at all.

I spent about 30 seconds with an internet search engine and found the following.

http://www.businessinsider.com/video...ilroads-2013-2

Here's the complete quote:
“Semi-automatic weapons are not just about gun control, they’re about national security. You know that these weapons can shoot down airplanes, they can blow up railroads. This is really a whole national security issue.”
The link above contains a video for those who want to hear the quote directly from the horse's mouth. The quote is at 1:41 on the video.

This isn't the first time the Rev. Jackson has made wild claims about firearms.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...onal-security/

"These semi-automatic weapons, these assault weapons, can only kill people, and in fact, they are threats to national security… The young man who did the killing in Aurora, Colorado, with the arsenal he had– he was right near the airport, right near the runways [in] Denver. He could shoot down airplanes, so this is a matter of homeland security as well."
Old February 10, 2013, 06:39 PM   #11
KMAX

I watched the video. Mostly incoherent babble, but I did pick up something about "these people are fighting the government". I guess he doesn't understand 2A. The Aurora shooter could blow up airplanes. Really? People in Chicago are shooting others with Glocks and magazines? Again, really?

What does bother me is that some people take this guy seriously. Who cares about facts or even understandable speech?

Old February 10, 2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Mr. Jackson is simply regurgitating an old anti gun tract called ".50 Caliber Terror.".

Here is a link to some of it. I can't find the original version.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-s...t_b_15251.html
Old February 10, 2013, 07:10 PM   #13
ibewbull

Only id you are on the A TEAM

I will never figure out how such ignorance in a person can be left unrepaired.
They just will not learn. Or is it they do not care enough to attempt learning.
The folks making a living in the media still will not report the real defination of assult weapon.
Semi/full automatic select fire shoulder held weapon using an intermediate cartrige.
By defination a class III weapon requiring a tax stamp from the ATF or what ever the new name is today.
Forrest Gump would be a better spokesmen then good ole Jesse.

Old February 10, 2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

As ridiculous as Jackson's claims may be, please try not to let this one turn into a Jackson BashFest.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:00 AM   #15
Rifleman1952

Spats, yes the issue is really the outlandish claims of the anti-Second Amendment crowd. It seems a part of their strategy to spin the tall tale that semi-automatic rifles are no different than the weapons used by our military. We see this disinformation presented in different ways by Bloomberg, Cuomo, Piers Morgan and numerous others. Of course, being the slave to hyperbole that he is, Mr. Jackson had to take that strategy to new levels.

To folks unfamiliar with firearms, and who just don't know any better, it is believable that a semi-automatic rifle that looks like a military weapon would function in the same way. All gun enthusiasts need to be part-time educators for those folks who are simply unaware of the truth. We have a wealth of knowledge and experience with firearms, that must be shared with those good folks, many of whom would support us if they knew the truth.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:12 AM   #16
Double Naught Spy

My hogs don't always die with the first shot, but the same gun can blow up a railroad? My gun must be defective.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:41 AM   #17
2damnold4this

The best response I have heard was this:

Jackson obviously found the weakness in a modern railroad's design - a small thermal exhaust port, only two meters wide that leads directly to the reactor core.

Don't laugh! Jesse used to bullseye womp rats in his T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:59 AM   #18
mayosligo

He knows that most people are ignorant and he is playing on that, as is all the anti crowd. Spent a year in grand jury. The vast majority of issues involving a gun was a POS .32, 22, .38 or 9mm. It was extremely rare to see a gun that was anything more than a "use and throw piece" or drop gun. Occasionally a shotgun and only in a few instances a gun with any value. Only two cases did not involve drugs and only one involved an AK and it was used in self defense. At least half of the incidents involved no firearm. No planes or railroads were destroyed. No CCWS were ever involved. The overwhelming number of assailants came from 4 zip codes. We have a group today saying CCWs and assault weapons are the problem in my town. Myths make better news stories and the public likes fiction better than reality. Jackson knows this.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:08 AM   #19
UtopiaTexasG19

I think he is referring to the HO gauge railroad I used to have as a 8 year old.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:07 AM   #20
9mm

If shooting down planes wasn't scary enough, then railroads is.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Tickling

Quote:
To folks unfamiliar with firearms, and who just don't know any better, it is believable that a semi-automatic rifle that looks like a military weapon would function in the same way.
This.

A lot of people think that the AR-15 is the best, most powerful weapon available since our military uses them. They're surprised to find out it's a beefed up .22.

But propaganda needn't be hampered by inconvenient facts in a world where people don't research things for themselves... not that we're immune to that either..
Old February 11, 2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibewbull
I will never figure out how such ignorance in a person can be left unrepaired.
The folks making a living in the media still will not report the real defination of assult weapon.
Semi/full automatic select fire shoulder held weapon using an intermediate cartrige.
By defination a class III weapon requiring a tax stamp from the ATF or what ever the new name is today.
Forrest Gump would be a better spokesmen then good ole Jesse.
You're probably assuming that the primary purpose of a news story is to inform the public. If we assume instead that the purpose is to attract viewership, things start to fall into place. Facts become less important than drama, pertinent details a lower priority than presentation. An incorrect pronunciation or poorly used technical term that leaves an invalid impression is irrelevant, and in the more extreme cases, outright lies become acceptable.

In Mr Jackson's case, his expertise is in evoking emotion. Logic is not in his playbook - whether by choice or by nature, who knows. Hate is a powerful political tool and he wields it very well - or did anyway. He seems to have lost his touch lately.

You're not going to reach these kinds of people because you're not just playing by different rules - you're playing an entirely different game.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:47 PM   #23
markj

Hey, the 88 mag shoots thru schools.....
Old February 11, 2013, 06:01 PM   #24
2ndsojourn

from ibewbull:
"I will never figure out how such ignorance in a person can be left unrepaired.
Forrest Gump would be a better spokesmen then good ole Jesse."

from Flopsweat:
"You're not going to reach these kinds of people because you're not just playing by different rules - you're playing an entirely different game."

As the great philosopher, Ron White stated, "You can't fix stupid"
Old February 11, 2013, 06:09 PM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

This one's not going anywhere productive.