The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2016, 09:44 AM   #26
Dan-O

I just got a Rami yesterday. Cheapest place I've found so far is here:

https://www.iammo.com/cz-91750-cz-20...ck-finish.html

Bought a 97b right before Christmas. Finally got around to putting the CGW Short Reset Package in it, and holy cow. Turned a decent trigger into an awesome one.

Old April 23, 2016, 01:45 PM   #27
wrdwrght

I got a CZ75BD so I could have have another Wonder Nine to compare to my SIG P229. This CZ simply makes me a better shooter.

My CZ75BD also has a not-cheap hiccup-free Kadet .22LR conversion kit.

So thoughtfully made are CZs (I also have a 452 Lux), I'm looking at a CZ97BD, now that my affair with the .45ACP has resumed.
Old April 23, 2016, 01:58 PM   #28
WVsig

If you are looking at CZ pattern compact I would look at the CZ PCR, CZ P01 and the CZ Compact.

If you are carrying the PCR and the P01 will be lighter. The Compact has the nice advantage that you can carry it DA/SA or SAO cocked and locked but its all steel construction will make it heavier. I am not a fan of the Omega trigger. It is a simpler design but does not lend itself to improvement the way that the standard 75 B triggers do. The only advantage is the ability to switch from DA/SA to SAO on the same frame on the newest Omegas. Older ones have no advantage IMHO.

I have owned 6 different CZs and still have a P01 and a 75B and they are keepers. I was looking to add a compact but stepped it up in the CZ game with a Sphinx Alpha.

I would take a long hard look at the Sphinx if you like the CZ pattern. You can still find the Swiss made guns, they are moving production to the US, for right around $800 and they are slick. They are a spring change away from being amazing IMHO. They are a refined CZ IMHO. They offer Compacts and Subcompacts. I like their subcompact too but I did have some teething issues with mine.

Last edited by WVsig; April 23, 2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old April 23, 2016, 02:02 PM   #29
tekarra

It felt FANTASTIC in my hand; the trigger was smooth and clean; and it shot like a danged laser!

I am not surprised Spats. The same thing happened to me thirty years ago and I have acquired a number more since.
Old April 23, 2016, 03:08 PM   #30
TBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPATS
I actually looked at a P07 at Academy sports way back when I was searching for a polymer 9mm. I remember thinking that it was very rough and pointy for concealed carry in a suit. (I've lost more than one sport coat liner to aggressively textured grips.) I just may have to go back and re-examine the P07.
If you looked at an early model the P-07 was known to have some very crude edges on it. The next generation had the front cocking serrations among other improvements. But those sharp edges went away. I absolutely love my P-07.
Old April 23, 2016, 03:44 PM   #31
Independent George

The Omega is a much simpler single-bar trigger system - it's definitely easier to manufacture and maintain (thus the lower cost), but more experienced CZ owners have told me that there's more 'upside' to the standard trigger. The Omega more or less comes out of the box already broken in, while the 75 needs some rounds through it to smoothen out. Keep in mind that a rental gun has probably been shot a ton - a factory new model might be a little rougher by comparison.

The thing that hooked me on CZs is the shape of the backstrap; it fits right into the curve in the palm of my hand that it feels like the gun just disappears into my hand. This is a very subjective thing, but I remember shooting dead on with it back when I was still new to guns and spraying my rounds all over the place.

As to which one to buy... take a look at what the CZ Custom shop has to offer before you decide on anything. I already have a broken-in, smooth-as-silk PCR, but that compact SDP is beckoning to me.
Old April 24, 2016, 09:12 AM   #32
CWKahrFan

CZ's have been praised worldwide for a long time... There are WELL over a million CZ75s in use and growing popularity of all variants in the US. I love mine. Wiki has an interesting fact-filled article which includes a listing of clones, copies and variants near the end:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75
Old April 24, 2016, 05:01 PM   #33
g.willikers

It's probably a test of how good a product is by the number of copies being made.
CZs must be very good.
Old April 26, 2016, 11:33 PM   #34
Hunter0924

I had little experience with CZ until about 3 years ago when I talked with them about a test pistol.
I have done 3 CZ pistol reviews since then and have bought every one after the review.
I just shared a review of the new Urban Grey P-01 silencer ready on the handgun forums and it is my favorite so far.
I am loving CZ like I love Colt, and that is saying something.
Old April 27, 2016, 12:14 AM   #35
Arizona Fusilier

Well, another vote for the "classic" 75b.

Mine sports Guy Hogue rubber grip panels, but is otherwise stock

Never heard anything bad about the "clones", so I guess you can't go wrong there either.
Old April 27, 2016, 04:57 AM   #36
larryh1108

Here's another vote for the PCR.
Once I shot it some years back, it replaced every 9mm I had.
It is more accurate than I am, uber reliable and has 14+1.
What's not to like?
I replaced the clothes gripping factory rubber grips with some nice wood grips (I also like wood to rubber for looks) and never looked back. I see no reason to tinker with the trigger. It's fine as it is with many thousands of rounds thru it.

Old April 27, 2016, 06:36 AM   #37
Brutus

I too really like my PCR. Only complaints are I hate the serrated trigger, puts a blister on my finger after a 100 rounds and I wish the rear sight was farther back on the slide as my old eyes need all the sight radius they can get. Sent a request into CZ custom and Cajun gunworks inquring about a trigger job with an 85 combat trigger and the new style night sights which sit farther back on the frame. Cost will be about what I paid for the pistol but worth it in my opinion, need to start saving up now.
Damn things are like Harleys you only get a starter kit from the factory.
Old April 27, 2016, 07:08 AM   #38
boatdoc173

It all depends on what you plan for your collections future

if I were to buy just one CZ(NEVER buy just 1)--it would be the cz 85b combat.

If I were going to collect a few, I would start(as I did) with a 75 b or bd. I then bought aan sp-01, then the 85 b.

of course now that I am hooked I have bought lots of czs. I am waiting for CZ custom to build my CTS long slide now

my collection contains many CZs and Dan wessons--enough said!

quality, accuracy, fun to shoot

the ONLY 2 draw backs--the slide lick is hard to get out and the barrels have NO coating--still never stopped me from wanting more

enjoy!
Old April 27, 2016, 09:50 AM   #39
swmike

I have two "carry weapons". One is a Sig P229 and the other a CZ75 SP-01.

I like the SP-01 so much that I carry it as long as I don't need a smaller weapon. Then I carry the P-229 which is a little more compact.

There's something about having a firearm carrying 20 rounds ready to go and is as accurate as can be. Fits my hand well. I just put two 19 round mags on the other side of my belt to offset the extra weight so my pants don't sag to one side

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old April 27, 2016, 10:01 AM   #40
DaleA

Well no less a personage than Colonel Jeff Cooper praised the CZ-75!

Here's a couple reviews of the gun.

http://gunblast.com/CZ-75.htm

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...pistol-cz-75b/
Old April 27, 2016, 02:57 PM   #41
Skans

For a long time I wasn't a CZ fan because I didn't like the finish on their guns. I equated a painted/coated gun with trying to hide sloppy finishing. I did know that my dislike for the finish didn't necessarily make the guns functionality less than excellent, but I just couldn't get passed it.

Then the CZ 75B came out in two stainless finishes - both of which I really like. I was planning on buying one in the bright or mat finish. Then, I saw a glossy blue CZ 75B and, boy did I have to have it! It's one of my favorite 9mm's (outside of my Sig X-Five).
Old April 27, 2016, 03:08 PM   #42
Tucker 1371

For an aesthetic gun their polycoat (I think?) does leave something to be desired. But it is absolutely tough as nails. I've drawn and holstered my SP01 probably over 1000 times and haven't seen the slightest bit of wear on it. The only dings in the finish came from when I was trying to remove the mangled up factory trigger pin with a pair of pliers. Even then it held up pretty well.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old April 27, 2016, 03:13 PM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

I say don't do it.
Old April 27, 2016, 03:15 PM   #44
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
I say don't do it.
Why?
Old April 27, 2016, 04:51 PM   #45
manta49

The CZ SPO1 Shadow is the handgun you see most at the range here, i have one my favorite handgun.
Old April 28, 2016, 09:30 AM   #46
Tom Servo
Staff

I'm not a fan of the Omega trigger. It does give a smoother SA pull, but I find the DA pull to be stagey and stiff.

The stock trigger does break in and smoothen out remarkably over time. The SA pull on my ~15 year old 75B is better than any Hi Power out there, trigger job or not. My P-01 trigger is still breaking in, but there was a noticeable difference between when it was new and how it was after 2,000 rounds.
Old April 28, 2016, 11:10 AM   #47
Skans

Quote:
The SA pull on my ~15 year old 75B is better than any Hi Power out there, trigger job or not.
No, not better than my Hi-Power! I would have to feel that to believe it. Even if my 75B has was worked on to give it a smooth, clean break, the take-up alone in SA mode is enough for me to choose my Hi-Power's trigger as the better trigger.

I have two guns that are DA/SA that have really good SA trigger pulls.....for a DA/SA. They are my Tanfoglio Stock 10mm and my CZ 75B, in that order. Still, neither of these triggers comes close to my Hi-Power, Colt Gold Cup, or Sig X-Five - Sig X-Five being the best of all of them.
Old April 28, 2016, 01:10 PM   #48
rt11002003

All I know about CZ's is that the ones I bought; I like. For the money, the CZ75 TS is a winner. For fitting my hands, the CZ75 SP-01 Shadow Target II is great. I shoot the TS best. I think because it is heavier.

I have a couple based on CZ design: Witness Elite Limited, Grand Power X-Caliber and Sphinx Compact.
Old April 28, 2016, 02:16 PM   #49
themalicious0ne

Spats,

You have to get a cz. You have no idea what you are missing. I don't need to sell you on their finer points as everyone already has. My cz 75b has seen well over 6000 rounds. I honestly have no idea how many I was keeping track up till about 4k and that was a couple years ago with more range time than I have ever put in since. Let me tell you that they run. I have gone over 1000 rounds without cleaning without a hiccup. I have not changed anything, it is still bone stock. I know I need to change the spring because every once in a while Ill have bent mouths of the extracted cases. I actually had a few weeks ago a fte. It was my 3rd out of all the rounds I've put through it. The other two were in the same mag from the same box of ammo at maybe 4000 rounds. I no longer use that ammo and it was the only box of wwb I've ever put through it. Almost all the ammo I have put through has been blazer brass. I even put through 100 rounds of the new browning steel cased with the gun unclean and shot several hundred more brass after. That is when I received my 3rd ever fte. All my fte's were jams caused by the case not fully ejecting and it getting caught on closer. Like I said, I need to replace the guide rod spring.

I am more than happy with it. It's my favorite handgun by far. I also worked armed security with it and it has seen lots of being brought in and out of the holster including drills from the draw. I would have to say it has been in and out of the holster thousands of times. The only wear that can be seen is at the tip of the slide and the ambi safeties. My holster was also made for a sig 226 so it's not even the right holster. (I needed it that day for qualification) the holster works fine though. It's a safari land duty holster with leather lining.

You already know exactly what you are getting when you buy one but I thought I would give you a high milage account of the capabilities of one. Also if you get one. I would go steel and not their polymer offerings. Not that their is anything wrong with them but their base steel design has been copied for a long time, so cut your teeth on something close to the original. I plan to pick up the sp01 soon.

Ps. My cz75b is chambered in 40
Old April 29, 2016, 06:01 AM   #50
Spats McGee
Staff

Thanks to everyone who posted. You've all been very generous with your knowledge.

It must have been about 2013 that I handled a CZ P-07 (I think it was). The texturing was very aggressive. Made my Gen 4 G19 feel downright smooth by comparison. Maybe that's changed. Anyway, I don't think I'm overly interested in their polymer offerings. I don't have the budget to buy a new gun without doing a little horse-trading. (That's one of my favorite activities, but I'll have to figure out what I can horse-trade.) My G19 is perfectly reliable for carry, and I won't trade her off for a new gun. So I have to figure out what I have that I can part with.

Anyway, It's the steel or alloy versions that I'm eyeballin'. I'm pleased to hear so many of you say that they are reliable. I'm no gunsmith, and I don't want to spend money on a gun that doesn't run. I mean, I can do basic cleaning and lubing, maybe replace a drop-in part or two, but using files and stones to tune something is beyond me. So I need something that can basically be counted on to run, right out of the box, and it sounds like a metal CZ would fit the bill. In fact, a CZ may have edged out a BHP for the top spot on The Want List.