The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Patriot86

CZ75B Takedown Level/Slide release question

Let me start off by saying I know I am probably just a goober, but this is the first CZ75 I have owned and truth be told I never paid a ton of attention to this particular part before.

My new CZ75B has about 500 rounds through it after a few trips to the range, I noticed while loading it last night for nightstand duty that the take down level/slide release appears to be sticking out about 1/16th of an inch from the frame in the rear where as the front is almost flush. I didn't notice this before, this may be normal but I just want to make sure I am not setting myself up for a catastrophic failure next time I go to the range.

Gun has never used reloads, always been cleaned after use and well lubed when shot.

See pics below

Old November 9, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Micropterus

I checked my CZ75B and CZ75 Compact and both have slide stops lay flat against the frame. The gap between your slide stop and frame looks a hair wider than the gap on my pistols, but I still thinks its okay. I don't think I would have noticed that.
Old November 9, 2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

It certainly looks different than the CZs I own -- but it may be a different slide stop designed to NOT scratch the highly polished slide and special model information. (I've not seen a LIMITED EDITION <stainless> model, before.)

The area under the rear of the slide stop looks like a spacer... which would keep the front of the stop from going flush against the frame. (Is that little 'square' piece of metal on the back of the rear of the stop a part of the stop, or is it something attached?)

I think you've got a special model with a slightly different slide stop.

If the slide stop is securely in place -- catches the detent (the slide stop spring) when it is installed in the frame -- I would argue that everything is just fine. But it wouldn't hurt to send a photo (this one) to CZ-USA and ask them.

I think it's pretty safe to say, however, that nothing catastrophic is likely to happen regardless of what is going on with the slide stop.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; November 9, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old November 9, 2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Bigdave2424

Not to be a wise guy, but have you tried pushing it in hard.
Old November 9, 2011, 09:29 PM   #5
T1gger

No, it's normal. My CZ P-01 has a decent gap by the slide stop. I do believe that they were made that way in order to not scuff up the finish under the slide stop. Here's a link to a thread on the CZforum about the same topic:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=40791.0
Old November 9, 2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Patriot86

I will send them a photo and see what they say just to be 110% safe, it feels like it is in there good and I have even tried a very LIGHT tap with a mallet and that is as far as it wants to go in on its own. Next time I go to the range I might just check and see if they have the exact same gun on display is the same way.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:40 PM   #7
Jim243

There is a little straight wire spring on the right side (inside) of the frame that acts to retain the slide release. (you need to look carefully to see it).

When re-inserting the slide release after cleaning, bring the slide back so the Two lines line up and hit the slide release HARD with the heel of your hand and it will snap in.

Sorry but that's the way it works.

Jim
Old November 10, 2011, 06:45 AM   #8
geetarman

Mine have a gap. No problem.

Geetarman
Old November 10, 2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Hammerhead

My new 75B has the same gap.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Mark In Texas

I have two CZs. The PCR's slide stop is pretty flush. It's blued. My CZ-85B is two tone (stainless slide) and the slide stop does not fit flush. The first time I reassembled it, I thought I was doing it wrong so I did it again.

It's just the way it fits. I agree, its design is probably meant to minimize scratches on the slide.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:40 AM   #11
drail

If it stays at that position and doesn't creep out any more you're probably OK. If it continues to disassemble itself there is a problem. If it were mine I would complain to the manufacturer.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:23 PM   #12
peacefulgary

Mine had no gap whatsoever.
I don't think it's nomal.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:43 PM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Nobody has commented on what looks like a raised piece behind the tab on the slide stop lever. If it is thicker in that area -- as it appears to be -- it can't set flush. The photo I attached (from the original photos) seems to show it clearly. It looks like a non-standard slide stop.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Scimmia

Quote:
Nobody has commented on what looks like a raised piece behind the tab on the slide stop lever. If it is thicker in that area -- as it appears to be -- it can't set flush. The photo I attached (from the original photos) seems to show it clearly. It looks like a non-standard slide stop.
That just looks like the part the contacts the magazine follower to me. I'll have to take a closer look at my CZ when I get home.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

You're right -- it just looked bigger or wider, lengthwise, like there was extra metal, in the photo than with my guns. But upon looking at one of my spare slide stops, the one in the photo looks entirely stock. (That tab that catches the follower is tapered, and not flat, and you can see the taper.)

There's just more space there than with most guns.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; November 10, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 07:47 PM   #16
railroader

Better more space than not enough. Your gun won't get scratched up. Mark