The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 13, 2011, 12:07 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Did Charter Arms release the CARR yet?

It was suppossed to be available 4th Q 2009

Did I miss it?

I want a quality 9mm in the worst way...
Old September 13, 2011, 12:20 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

Well, they're showing the .40 on their website. And Buds shows it in stock for $399. I don't know more than that... Links:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...ull_74020.html

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/76089
Old September 13, 2011, 12:26 AM   #3
C0untZer0

I sent Nick Ecker an e-mail asking about the 9mm.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:32 AM   #4
WC145

Since you say you want a "quality" 9mm, I assume snubby, you should be looking for a S&W 940 or a Ruger SP101.
The Charter Arms CARR is novel and a great marketing/manufacturing experiment but I don't consider their guns "quality" in the same sense as the S&Ws and Rugers. What they do have going for them is that they are offering something no one else has at the moment so you have to sacrifice quality for availability.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old September 13, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5
mj246

I had sent an email to Charter back in February concerning the status of these revolvers since I was extremely interested at the time (and am still a little interested in a 9mm snubby, or a target 45acp). The prompt answer I received was that the 40S&W was in the final stages of testing and would be out "soon" and that the 9mm would follow "by the end of the year." Since the 40 didn't come out 'till this past month, I don't really expect the 9mm to be out until at least January or February 2012.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they wait to see how sales of the 40S&W do and possibly scrap other calibers if sales are too low. The best advice I have is for anybody wanting a CARR in something other than .40S&W is to buy one in 40 now (if you can afford to, but even if you have no desire or use for it), and sell it to partially pay for a 9mm or 45acp or whatever when they come out. If the project is scrapped, the 40S&W one should go up in value and you can sell it for a profit.

Also for what it's worth, Charter revolvers may not be as high quality as S&W or Ruger, but from what I've heard, they do stand by their products and will promptly correct any problems you may have with one of their firearms.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:37 PM   #6
tekarra

I keep looking for the 9mm CARR.
Old September 15, 2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Crosshair

Crud, my money is tied up in another project right now.