The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 22, 2010, 02:56 AM   #26
bamaranger

ridge running rifles

I've hunted a bit in the blue ridge country of N. VA and PA and hiked quite a bit of same in NC and TN. One thing to keep in mind is portability. There are plenty of steep, rock strewn, laurel choked areas and a shorter lighter, rifle will have its advantages.

The win/marlin are tops in that department. The marlins are easier to maintain/clean, and scope easier than many of the Wins out there.

You may not be satisfied w/ 30-30 power, though its plenty for what you are going to do. Thus the .308 BLR might be a good compromise.

I'm thinking a full length 7600 is too much rifle to tote up and down all day. A carbine version might be interesting , especially on running hogs in front of dogs. But it will be heavier than the BLR or a Winlin.

That is pretty country, I've trout fished in Unicoi county for years.
Old November 24, 2010, 10:47 AM   #27
DubV

I know this is an old thread, just though I'd post an update. 336's were everywhere at a gun show last spring. Lots of good deals to be had. Picked up a really clean one manufactured in 1980 for 200$. Put a redfield 2-7 scope on top. It shoots great.

Thanks for all of the good advice.