The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 6, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1
NavyChuck

Need help with CAR-15-3

Just bought my first black rifle - a CAR15-3 (Model LE-6920) with collapsible stock. I have the tool to remove the tube inside the stock, but it will not turn. Does the stock have to come off first? Just want to install a new ring for single point carry. Can anyone give a quick primer on how to go through this entire process? Thanks.
Old July 6, 2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Technosavant

You don't have to remove the stock, but you might want to- it makes the receiver extension easier to turn.

You need to remove the castle nut, which may well be staked on (I believe Colt stakes theirs). That is, look closely at where the castle nut touches the end plate- you'll probably see some dimpling of the end plate into recesses on the nut- that's to keep it from loosening up under recoil. You may need to dremel that metal out of there (it's going to ugly up the castle nut a bit) in order to loosen the thing. I might recommend replacing the castle nut too, and then restake it when you retighten.

Just be careful when you do get it off; unscrewing the receiver extension can launch the buffer stop pin into hard to access places in the room, and removing the end plate will expose the takedown pin detent spring, allowing it to fall out (along with the very hard to find once it's lost detent).
Old July 6, 2009, 10:50 AM   #3
NavyChuck

Thanks, I see the stakes now. I was told that the installation of this ring would be easy, but I knew this would be too hard to be true.
Old July 6, 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Technosavant

It isn't too hard. Get yourself another castle nut so it doesn't look ugly when you finish. Chop back the staking, remove the nut and receiver extension without losing any parts (it's easy to not lose them, you just have to be paying attention and know they can be lost). Then reinstall. Should take all of maybe 20 minutes.