The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 23, 2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

NRA training - is it worth it?

There are some week long NRA training camps that I have an opportunity to attend but was curious to know if they are really worth it. It looks like they cover handgun, rifle, shotguns, and at the end you will be a Safety Officer and certified instructor for handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

I like the idea of the instructor certification (I have enjoyed working with adults teaching continuing education computer courses) but am not sure it's something I'll have time to fool with.

If my primary goal is to NOT become an instructor what practical value do those classes have for someone who's been shooting seriously for a year (recreational shooter for ten years), reloading for six months, and competing for eight months? Not saying I know everything, or even close to it, just that I am not sure I'll get much from the newb classes.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:00 PM   #2
RetiredMajor

Sigma, I can't answer your question directly, but I am signed up to take the NRA Certified Pistol Instructor Course in August. I want it because after looking in my area, I found no one who offers classes. I intend to offer pistol classes. It's a 3 day course and I hope it's high quality. I spent 21 years in the army, 15 of those in the Infantry. So I'll know if it's a waste of time.

I hope it's great and then I'll offer classes in my area. Best of luck to you!
Old May 23, 2008, 07:20 PM   #3
RoaringBull

If the camps are in East Texas, what part and is there a website? I took a black powder course through NRA and have been shoting one ever since.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Swampghost

Go! The pros there will determine your abilities on numerous levels and GUIDE you into becoming whatever you want to be. The experience is awesome! I'd go every chance if finances allowed.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Sigma 40 Blaster

Actually the classes are in WEST Texas. But it's under $300 for a five day boot camp so to speak. The closest I can find classes to me is Plano, TX, and that's usually just Basic Pistol.

Tomorrow morning I have a Dynamic Marksmanship class from Rangemaster (they're coming out to the Tyler range where I shoot IDPA at), I spent 100 more dollars for their two day course than the week long camp would cost me, that's basically why it caught my eye.

Not to mention the fact that there are no NRA classes around my neck of the woods, if I could generate some interest in the classes it'd be nice to supplement my shooting with a class once or twice a month.
Old May 24, 2008, 02:01 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...under $300 for a five day boot camp..." Vacation time?
"...I am not sure I'll get much from the newb classes..." Go anyway if you can. You know you'll learn something.
There really isn't a better vacation than one spent shooting. I suspect the $300 is for the course only though. Accomodations, etc. will be extra.
"...at the end you will be a a Safety Officer..." That'd do it for me. Mind you, the CF decided I was good enough not to need the course. Should have done it anyway. Just to spend a weekend shooting on the Queen's nickel.