The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old July 2, 2004, 02:59 PM   #1
ENC

BEWARE Small Arms Shop aka savageparts.com

I had a newer model Savage 99c that needed some work on the bolt. It was riding to low and binding up and would be very hard to open after firing.

I called Savage and talked to them about the problem they referrred me to the Small Arms Shop aka www.savageparts.com in Inverness FL. I called this shop and they said they could fix it no problem. It took them an extordinarily long time to "repair" the rifle and then send it back. When I got it I was throughly disappointed. First the front sight was totally missing. The metal cap that goes in the bottom of the pistol grip to cover the screw was totally missing. Addtionally the bolt was still in just as bad shape as it was to begin with.

I called the small arms shop and after explaining the story I was basically told I was out of luck. Concerning the metal screw cap he said that those are just pieces of tin and can fall out sometimes. Savage doesn't even have a part number for them and I am out of luck. On the front sight he said there would be no reason for them to take it off. I agreed completly yet it was missing.

Near the end of the phone call he said he would send me a new front sight but I felt he was not going to. Four weeks later I finally give up. Do not deal with this company.

Evan Crosby
Old July 2, 2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Any .45

Did you try a claim with them, or legal actions.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old July 2, 2004, 04:13 PM   #3
ENC

No They made it rather clear that they didn't care about their service or reputation. The biggest problem I had from the whole ordeal is that they were the recommended shop by the factory. I plan on contacting Savage directly about this matter after I get a few more replies and advice.

I have already bought a new front sight from a local gunsmith.
Old July 2, 2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Quartus

Make your first contact in the form of a respectful - and DETAILED - letter. Letters carry FAR more weight than phone calls. And phone calls carry more weight than emails.

And remember, the more you rant, the less credibility you have. Don't take it as an opportunity to VENT. Take it as an opportunity to make sure that Savage no longer sends business to them.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old November 27, 2004, 05:34 PM   #5
Parmour

Small Arms Shop

Hello,
What bad luck. I happened to run across this site while looking for parts for my 94A Shotgun.
After reading their ad on the web site for service I thought I would send it to them for repair.
I e-mailed them and never got a response in regards to repair service .
Your post shows me that I was probably lucky that they did not tell me to send it to them !!
Make sure you contact Savage. Since they referred you to them they will want to know about the service provided. In this case "not provided"
You might get more satisfaction by going through them than contacting the small arms shop directly.
They just might want to keep Savage happy if they refer business to them.
Good luck,
Phil
Old December 8, 2004, 06:26 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

These "factory repair" stations get commissions for each and every gun they repair on behalf of the factory. Make a stink to the factory. Perhaps their contract won't be renewed.