The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 1, 2002, 05:43 PM   #1
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Scenario: Stranger in the driveway

You and your SO are sitting comfortably in the living room, sipping a tall Heckler and Coke and reading back copies of Wal-Mart Ninjitsu, when you hear the sound of a vehicle in your driveway. It's a van from out of state, unmarked, and unexpected.

You wait a few minutes and record the stranger's license number. The stranger doesn't budge.

You have all your defense tools and garden implements handy inside the house.

What now?

- pdmoderator
Old April 1, 2002, 05:48 PM   #2
Texas2NC

Call the cops and then turn on the outside floods. Let the dogs out into the back yard, watch the front door and wait.
Old April 1, 2002, 06:53 PM   #3
fix

Call the local TV stations. Nothing scares the BATF more than video cameras.
Old April 1, 2002, 09:52 PM   #4
swsurgeon

Something close to this happened to a guy I know in West Los Angeles, except that it was a regular car rather than a van. He decided to walk out there and ask the guy to leave. The guy mumbled something about waiting for someone and wouldn't be that long (but he would not move). The homeowner was unhappy about the guy parked in his driveway, tucked a pistol in his belt, and went out to ask again. The cops were eventually called and arrested the homeowner for brandishing a weapon. I can't recall whether the other guy was charged with trespassing or not.

In any event, the advice to call the cops but stay ready is good. The guy I know was stupid to try to run the interloper off with a pistol in his belt.
Old April 2, 2002, 11:29 AM   #5
Rickmeister

Sipping a tall Heckler and Coke? Not from the muzzle I hope!

Make sure the dude in the van isn't that sleazy long lost cousin of yours from Detroit. If not, dial 911, rack the slide of your USP40, turn on a few lights, and unleash the dobies.
Old April 2, 2002, 12:38 PM   #6
UK2TX

I would note the licence, check the back of the house ( nothing like pulling up on the drive way to get the FRONT curtains twitching - oh some ones in, turn and depart), give it 5 minutes then call 411 and ask nicely for a drive by, no pun intended, ( it pays to know your local officers - you mean you've never talked to them, shame on you ) or give them the plate in case the vehicle is casing the area. If nothing else the officers may be able to give them directions LOL.

Regards,

UK2TX
Old April 2, 2002, 01:41 PM   #7
foghornl

Someone pulling into MY driveway trips the x10 "home automation" motion detectors. Chimes in family room, master BR, and guest BR sound, and VCR hidden in basement starts recording "the action" for the next 10 minutes. I flip the TV over to my monitor channel for a peek, while I prepare to "Stand Ready". I don't go open the front door, I just watch and wait. Same setup for the back yard, too.
Old April 2, 2002, 03:05 PM   #8
coz

You guys are kinda tough.

I think I would watch him for a bit.

Carry two pistols and a backup (concealed per TX Law)

Have my bride with her 9 mm watching from inside the atrium.

Have my son walk to the other side of the car i.e. we would do a double sided approach. Never get closer than 6 feet or so from the vehicle. Most likely walk out to the end of the driveway and approach from the rear (there's a reason policeman approach that way)

My 6 foot son and 6 '1" me would kindly ask if we could help him.

Then react per his/her moves.....

I'm licensed to carry, so no questions about that. I carry now when I take out the trash, get the mail or paper.

If, when approaching the car, the doors open then it's reaction time. I might have to show the weapon just to get my point across if I feel threatened.
On my property, at night, I can at least let him know I'm armed.
Old April 2, 2002, 04:35 PM   #9
gryphon

Something similar to this happended to me when a bunch of punks burgled my garage. First thing I should have done and did not do was call the cops. This was in broad daylight mind you and they knew that someone was home and the garage door is connected to the living room. I figured that if they were bold enough to burgle, then they might be crazy enough to try and gain entry into the house, so my buddy and I cleared the area and then called the police.

But, in hindsight, I should have just holed up and waited the 20 minutes for the cavalry to arrive.
Old April 2, 2002, 04:54 PM   #10
zot

turn on those huge spot lights on roof, if the van fires ,detonate
anti-tank mine in driveway!!!
Old April 3, 2002, 01:19 AM   #11
Stonesheep

...And push over the fake chimney on the roof to display a 50 bmg on a tripod...
Old April 3, 2002, 04:36 PM   #12
swsurgeon

Or maybe even have that 50 bmg in a bulletproof Lexan turret?

Hey Stonesheep,

If I'm thinking of the right Fort Nelson, I've been through there a couple times. I've even been up to Fort Simpson on a few occasions. You have some wonderful country up there!
Old April 3, 2002, 07:10 PM   #13
HKguy9

Cooperate and give them what they want. It isn't their fault they were neglected as CHILDREN! Do it FOR THE CHILDREN!
Old April 3, 2002, 07:10 PM   #14
HKguy9

Cooperate and give them what they want. It isn't their fault they were abused as CHILDREN! Do it FOR THE CHILDREN!
Old April 4, 2002, 12:53 PM   #15
Joe Demko

Use the external loudspeaker to bellow "Get off my property, you freak!", immediately followed by releasing the nanotech-enhanced flesh-eating guard weasels.
Old April 9, 2002, 11:26 AM   #16
Mike11b

I'm with the "let the dog out" crowd initially. I have a 120 pound American Bulldog with an invisible perimeter dog fence. Letting her out first is like sending out recon. The potential BG's reactions run from hitting reverse and rolling out, to addressing the dog threat. My reaction would be based on that. In DE, you can legally shoot a trespasser in your home , but on the property, you have to have been threatened with phsyical violence. Our driveway runs approximately 500 feet to the back of the house. Taking out the people doing quick u-turns, you're left with a big unknown. Addressing the threat in increments is the way to go...as is having a plan for just this sort of occurrence. as much as we'd all like to recon by fire, we can't. So I guess my answer would be be armed and observe from cover.