The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2009, 11:57 AM   #1
bswiv

Base hole pattern question....

I have a Marlin 336 with the standard cope base set up on it. I've also got one of the Aimpoint Micro Red Dot sights. While the rifle and the sight are what appear to be a match made in Heaven I am having a little problem with the mount.

The standard mount, #63 I think, has 2 mounting slots and 4 screws that mount it to the rifle.

The Aimpoint needs only 1 mounting slot. It takes up maybe 2 1/2 inches of the mount.

Here is the issue.

If I can figure out what base to use so that I can mount the sight using only the front 2 holes in the rifle and have a mounitng slot right over them then I can have the rest of the reciever clean. And by having it clean the natural carrying point of the rifle will be restored, something lost with a scope.

So I want to know if the mounting hole patern at the front of the reciever is some sort of standard or.......

Well, if you can tell me what I can buy.

And this too, with the Aimpoint I can use bases the mount very low as there will be no clearence issue.

Ideas?
Old July 12, 2009, 01:39 PM   #2
john323

Can you cut the base you have? Then just use the front part of the base and the existing screw holes.

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old July 12, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
bswiv

That was my first thought but the mount is actually kind of high for this sight and the slot will be in a odd psoition, sort of like a cantalever except on a smaller scale.

Do you know if the spacing of the screws is on some standard industry measurment?
Old July 12, 2009, 02:36 PM   #4
PetahW

Many gunshops, and certainly most gunsmiths, carry a box of assorted Weaver bases they've bought to be able to meet many different "situations" instantly.

I would take the #63 base around to one, and match up it's front half with half of a two-piece mount for something else, that also has a flat bottom.