The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 6, 2001, 03:18 PM   #1
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Ok, first let me state that body shape plays a big part when it comes to choosing ccw holsters. Those with a bit 'extra' around the waist obviously can't conceal certain holsters. Choosing the right holster for your body shape is very important when it comes to carrying comfortably all day.

My belt size is 1.5". I feel that 1.5" is ideal for carrying 'heavy' guns. It's rigid and holds the holster and gun very stably. The firearm is a full size Les Baer 1911 (my daily carry gun). The holster (made by Rusty Sherrick and designed by Tom Givens, the owner of Rangemaster) is an outside the waistband holster. The holster is made completely out of horsehide except for the sharkskin trimming. It rides low on the belt; the front is cut out to enable fast presentations. Belt loop is extra wide to keep the weapon against your body and is ideal for the individual who carries all day. The only other owb holster that I can wear for 14+ hours comfortably is Lou Alessi's CQC/S (wide loops too).

Rusty hand molds all his holsters to the shape of the firearm. By hand molding, the holster has a perfect fit with no break-in time. In addition, horsehide is softer then cowhide and much more durable. I must say, this holster quickly became my favorite owb holster.

Rusty hand molds all his holsters to the shape of the firearm. By hand molding, the holster has a perfect fit with no break-in time. In addition, horsehide is softer then cowhide and much more durable. I must say, this holster quickly became my favorite owb holster.

Rusty's web site: www.c-rusty.com

Here's a picture of the cutout:

Old May 6, 2001, 06:01 PM   #2
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Son
It looks like a sweet rig. As a low ride how do you conceal it?

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old May 6, 2001, 06:35 PM   #3
PJ11B3VF7

Son, where's the CIB from?
Old May 7, 2001, 09:48 PM   #4
Joey

Son,

I know you were a really big fan of Rosen holsters. How does this rig compare to Rosen's holsters?????
Old May 8, 2001, 06:16 AM   #5
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Joey

The Rosen holsters are absolutely beautiful. They are well built and after a wee bit of break in time, they are very functional. However, with Rusty’s horsehide holsters, there is NO break in time. Rosen sews all his holsters out of patterns while Rusty hand molds them. That’s the biggest difference.

In addition, the Givens model is unsurpassed when it comes to speed due to the cut out. There’s no holster on the market that’s as fast.

In conclusion, I like both Rosens and Sherricks but for functionality, I prefer the Sherrick holster.

Son
Old May 8, 2001, 08:29 AM   #6
M1911

I have one too. I'll second ArmySon's comment that it is a fast holster -- just as fast as my Kydex holster. I conceal mine using a vest or coat. It does ride fairly low, so you do need a long cover garment. Since the belt slot is a single piece, on some of my pants a belt loop gets in the way, preventing me from putting the holster exactly where I want it.

M1911