The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2014, 05:43 PM   #26
BigJimP

Its not just about the economics of reloading....for many of us, reloading is part of the hobby. I'd reload even if the cost was a push...
-----
My 9000 HN hydraulic Mec presses will easily load 20 boxes an hour...so it isn't time consuming.../ and I've enjoyed passing the hobby onto my adult kids and now some of the grandkids that are from 9 to 23 yrs old..../ maybe some of them will keep reloading long term... maybe not / but they will at least remember the experience and the time we spent in the shop and at the range...( for shotshells and handgun ammo ).
Old August 30, 2014, 07:01 PM   #27
A400 Fan

Damn, Jim - how are you loading and boxing 20 boxes per hour? without reloading the primer feed, your wads, etc? I have had a 9000 and a Grabber and can't come close
Old August 31, 2014, 05:02 PM   #28
BigJimP

I'm talking about just loading - in terms of the speed of the loader...( not boxing )..../ on the 9000 HN, its easy to get 500 shells an hour off the press ( I have large - oversized bottles on both sides for shot and powder ) ...and the new primer system holds 250 primers at one time. The 900 HN will actually do more than 500 shells an hour...

Even if you get down on shot or power or both / and primers...it will only take 4 or 5 min to reload all three ....( that area of my shop is dedicated to shotshell loaders)...so its no big deal to grab the funnel - and the bag of shot, or the powder container ..or rotate the primer system out of position and drop a couple of containers of primers onto the plate...( one 25 lb bag of shot gives you about 400 1 oz 12ga shells )....if you only load 3/4 oz of shot, like in a 28ga...you get about 525 shells to a 25 lb bag of shot...( but you know that ! )...

On the 9000 HN (hydraulic) --- put a new hull on station 1 with your left hand - a new wad in station 3 with your right hand ...and your foot operates the pedal on the floor...( and repeat !! )...
------
as far as going to the range.../ I either let them drop them loose into an 8 gallon storage container or I'll bag them up - by dropping 30 finished shells into a Quart sized zip lock bag...and drop 10 bags into a storage container.
------
The 9000 GN is slower ...because you have to activate the handle with your right hand / vs just using your foot leaving your hands free to grab the next hull and wad... ?? The Grabber of course is way slower...because you have to rotate the base - there is no auto indexing...but I seem to remember I was getting at least 8 boxes off a Grabber an hour pretty easily....

What do you think you get for # of shells ...just loading ..not boxing...off the 9000 GN ??
---------------
For entertainment purposes only....on the 9000 HN hydraulic this morning it took me right at 2 minutes to get 25 shells off the press ( press was setup, components loaded, empty hulls at hand, wads at hand...( and all 6 stations in the press were full - but I didn't count the first 6 shells that came off the press ). My son tells me it takes him 6 - 7 minutes to get a box off of the Grabber. So the 9000 GN should be in between maybe 4 minutes per box...

Last edited by BigJimP; September 1, 2014 at 02:41 PM.