The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 22, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
mitranoc

3x magnifier for EOTech?

So should I go with the EOTech 3x and pay $500+, or wait for the release of the Vortex VMX-3T for half the price? I will pay the extra money, especially if there's a noticeable difference in quality and performance. If not, I'll happily save some money.

George Washington
Old March 22, 2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Metal god

here it is . ships in 30-ish days
http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-v...lip-mount.html

Vortex makes a quality product and with out seeing or handling this product it's hard to say . Having a vortex scope and seeing many reviews on all there products . I would buy one with out a concern .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 22, 2013, 06:08 PM   #3
mitranoc

Thanks

George Washington
Old March 22, 2013, 08:17 PM   #4
HKFan9

Have you ever used a magnifier with a EOtech or other Red-Dot?

I know because we see them in movies and magazines and Call of Duty they are a must have...

I would try it before you buy it however. I was going to buy the EO-tech one until I tried it at work and realized I had no need for it. Wasn't my flavor, neither was an ACOG.

I find that with my AR's I have them set up mostly with EOtechs or Trijicon Reflex's and I don't find myself shooting much further than 300yards with one, which is perfectly doable with a red dot or Iron sights, any thing further in distance I wouldn't generally choose one of my AR's.

Depending on the type of accuracy you wish to accomplish, your ammo choices... barrel length and twist, you can generally use the same zero in an AR platform to make hits from 0-300 yards on a man sized target. The 1MOA dot in my EOtech is perfect for this, and I use a 14.5'' barrel with a 1:7 twist.

Not trying to knock your choice, just suggesting you try it however, I am glad I did before I bought one because I did not like it.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:27 PM   #5
valleyforge.1777

I have the 2.5x magnifiers that LaRue was selling a few years back. They called them the "po'boy special" or something like that. They are Hensoldt (spelling?) bazooka sighting scopes that have had the ranging reticle removed and they were re-purged with nitrogen. The glass is acceptable, but not perfect and the magnification is a little weak for what I want. I'd like a 3x instead. I use mine in a LaRue pivot mount behind an Aimpoint CompM4 red dot sight. For 25 and 50 yards, I flip the magnifier to the side and then for 100 yards I use the magnifier. Like I said, I'd like a 3x (or more) instead of this 2.5x, particularly with better glass (i.e., better optics) than what this one has. I have not seen the Aimpoint, EoTech, Vortex, or Burris magnifiers in person, so can't say they are better, but I am guessing they all are better than what I've got. Having said that, I'd never take the 2.5x off my rifle (unless I could get one of those better ones). Lots of people say they don't think the magnifiers are needed. Maybe that's true for THEM, but certainly not true for ME.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:43 PM   #6
HKFan9

Quote:
Maybe that's true for THEM, but certainly not true for ME.
Well what kind of formal training have you gone through with your AR?

Not trying to poke fun, but unless you have damaged vision a magnifier should not be needed at 100 yards, generally speaking you should be combat effective at 100 yards with a side arm.

Again, not trying to say its YOU. I live in PA where I see A LOT of deer hunters using your standard 3-9 scope dialed all the way up to 9, then still a lot using even higher magnification, and I have to shake my head generally because I don't think I have ever shot a deer further than 100 yards. I think a lot of people have a tendency to "over scope" their rifle.

You can go to a service rifle match where guys are shooting 600yards with irons, or any Marine qualifying course generally was 500 yards irons.

Do I think YOU need the magnifier on your AR? I don't know you personally but I would bet for 100 yards you do not. Having your red-dot zero'd at 25 meters on your AR will give you combat effective hits ( we aren't in a war I know, however still viable for 3 gun competition) out to 300 yards, using no hold over.

I think a lot of people limit their abilities before they try, or understand.

I know some guys LIKE magnifiers, I can't knock it, but I don't think they are needed to make hits. Personally we are different and that is fine, I would prefer my rifle be lighter, tighter and easy to move with.

My post was to TRY it out before the OP spends $300-$400 on something and realizes he doesn't like it or need it. I had that opportunity because I work for a gun shop, so I can mess with stuff before buying it, others sometimes order off the internet and get stuck with stuff.

Travis can explain it better than I can type it. This is not my video, found it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUwve2VMFBU
Old March 23, 2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Achilles11B

Definitely try it out beforehand if given the opportunity. I had one for a few months, it was heavier than expected and threw off the balance of the rifle in return for minimal advantages. Maybe it works for you, but I'm happy with my unmagnified EOTech.
Old March 23, 2013, 03:21 AM   #8
rep1954

3x magnifier for EOTech?

HKFan9 thanks for the video.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:36 AM   #9
mitranoc

Quote:
Have you ever used a magnifier with a EOtech or other Red-Dot?
Yes, I've used a friend's 3x Aimpoint magnifier behind a T1. I liked it a lot for 100-200 yards.

Quote:
I know because we see them in movies and magazines and Call of Duty they are a must have...
That's pretty funny. My decision is not based on cheesy Hollywood flicks or video games. But I'm sure for some it is?

George Washington
Old March 23, 2013, 09:01 AM   #10
valleyforge.1777

Quote:
My post was to TRY it out before the OP spends $300-$400 on something and realizes he doesn't like it or need it. I had that opportunity because I work for a gun shop, so I can mess with stuff before buying it, others sometimes order off the internet and get stuck with stuff.
Yeah, definitely. I agree with that advice a lot.
In my case, I was able to try someone's Aimpoint 3x magnifier behind the CompM4 before I decided to try to get a magnifier myself, and I went with the 2.5x "po'boy special" from LaRue due to the cost savings. I do like it, and it does help me a lot but I think a 3x or more would be better for what I do with the rifle.

It is all a matter of personal preference. Yes, I have damaged vision, so no I'm not able to use iron sights pretty much at all let alone out to 100, 200, 300, or whatever yards. With the Aimpoint CompM4, I definitely CAN hit combat effective at 100 yards with the 2.5x magnifier flipped to the side, but I can do it faster and more consistently at 100 yards WITH the magnifier. And, that's all with the target standing still and not shooting back at me. If the target is at 100 yards and moving, I need the magnification, but I think it's wonderful that some other folks do not need that. It is great for them, but I can't do that and it is a visual system thing, not a training deficit.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:58 AM   #11
HKFan9

The video is a clip from Travis Haley's newest DVD actually, I have a few free copies of it I gave out to some friends from ordering uppers and the JACK carbine from BCM recently. It is definitely worth the watch. Even his older Magpul Dynamics DVDs are worth it if newer to the AR platform.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Destructo6

I had a 3x Eotech magnifier for a while. I got rid of it because it was too much weight, too much money, and didn't really work as well as I had hoped.

The Eotech is much faster without it, which is the red dot's reason for being, and is useful out to 500 yards.

This decision wasn't made in vacuum, either. I have been student, instructor, and competitor at various times over the last several years.

Keep all of them clean.
Old March 24, 2013, 09:16 AM   #13
valleyforge.1777

Quote:
The video is a clip from Travis Haley's newest DVD actually, I have a few free copies of it I gave out to some friends from ordering uppers and the JACK carbine from BCM recently. It is definitely worth the watch. Even his older Magpul Dynamics DVDs are worth it if newer to the AR platform.
HKfan9, thanks for posting that video link. It is a really interesting video and Haley did a nice job making that. It does give a lot of good info and it shows nicely where the rounds will land at various shooting distances with the various zero distances. Very good info and I've book marked that link. Looks like for my uses, the 50 or 100 yard zero is best.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Metal god

Quote:
My decision is not based on cheesy Hollywood flicks or video games.
Yea thats how I read your first post . I read it as you just asking if Vortex makes a good product . IMO they do and they have one of the best warranty's out there .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 24, 2013, 12:28 PM   #15
HKFan9

Yea I felt that was actually one of the best clips in that DVD. Travis is ungodly good with an AR, however I always ran a 25 yard zero, but looking at those hold overs and what not I am seriously considering the 300yard zero, however I am going to wait for the snow to melt so I can get out to the fields and confirm it at 300.
Old April 6, 2013, 01:20 PM   #16
mitranoc

Quote:
here it is . ships in 30-ish days
http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-v...lip-mount.html

Vortex makes a quality product and with out seeing or handling this product it's hard to say . Having a vortex scope and seeing many reviews on all there products . I would buy one with out a concern .

Ordered it today with 14-24 days of estimated wait time. Was $218.00 with an online coupon code. I'll post a range report when I get it.

George Washington
Old April 7, 2013, 12:14 AM   #17
jimmythegeek

how's the eye relief with a magnifier?

I was thinking about getting one to use on a scout mount (on the handguard of an m1 carbine).

On the one hand, the carbine round is too short range for it to matter, on the other my eyes are pretty awful.

I'm pretty sure the Eotech sight would be fine up there, but the magnifier might not work.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:55 PM   #18
RamItOne

Any thoughts on this one ?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightmar...magnifier.html

Get what you pay for?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0