The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Rangefinder

My 30 caliber "Glazer"

Had a little "experiment" go really well. I was recently loading for my neighbor's 5.7x28 in return for a bunch of roofing he's supplied me with (among other things). After a lot of very careful work on the project, we decided to scrap it before finishing with a $1200 hand grenade. So I have all this 5.7 brass laying around....

Running with Brian's 300 Win Mag trials, I decided to see what kind of fun I could have turning these stupid little cases into FL gas checks. So, I cut the shoulder off to a respectable length. Then I pushed in some #7 shot, dropped in an airsoft pellet, and squeezed 'em carefully into a 220 Swift FL sizing die with the decapper removed to form a basic Truncated Cone. Lastly, I ran 'em through a .311 sizer (finished at .312 after spring-back), and finished with a weight of 95.0 to 95.4gr on the small test batch. Originally I was intending to run them in my AK, but thought I'd push the trial run through something a little heavier--so I loaded one for my Mosin over 51gr. H335 (Data for a 110gr jacketed), and squeezed one off with a little hesitation. Not only did it fire well, and accurate, but the results on the dry-pack were simply amazing. Not target photos yet because I was too excited about it to bother with the camera. Photos of wet-pack tests coming very soon--just wanted to get this up right away. NOW I can go do the more scientific documenting stuff.

You'll note the nose is a little crooked--next batch will be run through the case trimmer to square them up better before forming--I was more interested at how well they would form up last night so I skipped a few things. Next run should be a LOT more pretty now that I know it has potential and don't mind spending the time on it.

Continued this afternoon...

HOLY CARP, BATMAN! What an insane bullet!

So I squeezed out a few more this afternoon with careful trim length, etc... Then I wet-pack tested one... So, with a couple plastic jugs crammed with wet paper and then topped off with more water, I sent one of these crazy little buggers into 'em.

Here's what it started out looking like...

Here's what I managed to recover from the middle of the second jug.

And then there's the first jug--or what's left of it. I heard "plop-plop-plop" for a good second or two after the hit from falling globs of soggy paper still falling. I have no idea where the lid to the coffee jug landed--could be in the next county, I never saw it after impact.

Now, the job is to dial in the load to tighten up the accuracy. It's gonna be limited I have a feeling, just by the nature of not having a solid core. But this bullet is gonna be truly frightening against any unsuspecting yote.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old June 14, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
frumious

That is 100% bad-ass, and brings a wide grin to my face

Rock on!

-cls
Old June 14, 2012, 08:17 PM   #3
jlwatts3

Very cool. My knowledge of reloading and all that is very limited, but it's always cool to see someone try something new.
Old June 15, 2012, 10:45 AM   #4
yoter

I feel very uncreative after having read/seen this. Nicely done!
Old June 15, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Rangefinder

Update: After it performed well enough in the Mosin with a stiff load, I felt comfortable loading a few for the AK. With that nice rounded airsoft pellet tip, they feed very well--takes a stiff crimp to keep solid neck tension and prevent set-back though. Looks like I'll be building a basic canalure tool next. With 15gr. 2400 these little buggers fed and fired through the AK with average 2000fps of explosive authority, and it also dropped my brass in a nice little pile about 8' away rather than send it into the next county. Oh, this is turning into a fun little project! Guess I'll have to cut a core mold now so I can make some solids and partitions.

Old June 15, 2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Rangefinder

Oh boy, did I figure out something else cool---These slip right over and crimp tight to a 6mm 100gr. soft point to make one really hard-hitting 150gr. sabot! No photos of that one yet since I need to get to work. BUT---they're coming.

Old June 15, 2012, 01:54 PM   #7
armoredman

That's fascinating!
Old June 16, 2012, 01:05 AM   #8
Rangefinder

I think I've solved my canalure issue...

So I was thinking tonight at work, putting together in my head all manner of complex mechanical things that would over-complicate any and all projects... And then it hit me---K-I-S-S... Keep It Simple Stupid. I use a pipe cutter to initially cut the shoulder off the 5.7 brass before I trim and seat whatever core I'm using. The first twist with the pipe/tubing cutter pushes a groove all the way around the soon-to-be jacket before I tighten it again and continue cutting. Problem solved! Intentionally dull the cutter wheel of a tubing cutter so it will "dent" but not cut, even notch it if you will, thread a stop-nut onto the tightening handle so it only squeezes so far, and... BINGO!! A poor man's canalure tool!

No photos to share yet because I haven't made it out to the shop yet since getting off work... BUT, they're coming as soon as possible.

Just sharing the thought!

Jim

Old June 16, 2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Ethan.G

this is Awesome, please keep posting pics.

also have you started a blog yet? this kind of stuff could definitely start one
Old June 16, 2012, 02:09 PM   #10
B. Lahey

That's just hilarious. I applaud your craftyness.

I remember reading about Glaser rifle loads in a Gun Digest when I was a kid. The concept seems much more sound compared to the lightweight, relatively slow moving, underpenetrating pistol versions.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Rangefinder

With a little tinkering I have a canalure tool now.

I took the rotary blade out, spun it with a belt sander till it had a nice flat edge. Then took the tubing cutter to the drill press. A quick hole, tap, screw, and a couple nylon bushings with lock washers sanded to make the depth I wanted, and BINGO. Works like a charm.

How does it look after finished? Like this:

Old June 18, 2012, 01:39 PM   #12
BitterTait

that is mad science at it's finest.