The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1
TheRookie6

H&R Pardner question

I just realized I should have posted this here Anyways, I just picked up a my first shotgun from my local gun shop. Its a single action H&R pardner 12ga. It says on the barrel that it shoots 3" shells. My question is, can I shoot 3" AND 2 3/4" inch shells? any help would be appreciated. I'm new to this forum and new to shotguns. Thanks!
Old May 2, 2011, 12:02 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

My Pardner Pump manual says:
"... 3" chamber. Designed to handle 2 3/4" and 3" shells interchangeably."

But I just realized that there's a break-action single shot model also called Pardner. Do you have that single-shot one, or the Pardner Pump? I'm no expert but it seems to me that the single shot can also take EITHER 3" or 2 3/4".

FWIW... Owner's Manuals... click on link to download 'em if you need:

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/manuals.asp

Last edited by CWKahrFan; May 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:41 PM   #3
TheRookie6

Yeah, mine is the single shot version so I was a bit unsure. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks again
Old May 2, 2011, 02:43 PM   #4
TxGun

Its a single action H&R pardner 12ga. It says on the barrel that it shoots 3" shells. My question is, can I shoot 3" AND 2 3/4" inch shells?

Absolutely. You can always go down in shotshell size, not up. Ex. a 3 1/2" 12 gauge chamber will also handle 2 3/4" and 3" shells. But a gun marked with a 2 3/4" chamber will only handle 2 3/4" shells.

Pardner single shots are good little guns, BTW.
Old May 2, 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
TheRookie6

Great good to hear! I saw it at the shop for $75 so I couldn't pass on the price. I'm glad to hear it shoots both size shells. One question though, will there be any problem ejecting the smaller size shell? I heard this gun kicks pretty hard, should be fun
Old May 2, 2011, 03:25 PM   #6
TxGun

One question though, will there be any problem ejecting the smaller size shell? I heard this gun kicks pretty hard, should be fun

No problem with ejection. Yes, they gen up some pretty good recoil, due to their light weight. But these are basically hunting guns and you won't notice it much in the heat of the moment. BTW, the 2 3/4" shells will be more pleasant and will do just about anything you'd want to do with a shotgun.
Old May 2, 2011, 03:40 PM   #7
TheRookie6

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate the help.
Old May 3, 2011, 01:09 AM   #8
TheKlawMan

You can start by shooting "low recoil" 2-3/4 inch shells while getting used to how to hold your new gun.
Old May 3, 2011, 02:13 AM   #9
PoorRichRichard

I just got one a few weeks ago, and it kicks like a mule- especially after 25 shots at the skeet range. Would not recommend shooting 3 inchers out of it. Do yourself favor and get a recoil pad for the butt of your stock. Due to it's very light weight, I think it's gonna be a great hunting gun. Anyone out there put a slug through one these yet? Think I'm gonna tempt fate and try a few out this weekend
Old May 4, 2011, 12:10 AM   #10
kozak6

That sounds painful .

Make sure you hold it TIGHT to your shoulder. It helps a lot with the recoil. If you hold it loosely, or just off your shoulder, it will really put a beatin' on your shoulder.
Old May 5, 2011, 01:00 AM   #11
PoorRichRichard

Thank you thank you kozak6. So can anyone tell me if the Pardner's standard barrel on the 12 has a slightly tapered end (choked, even just a little)? I'm itching' to put a slug through it if the barrel straight! Guess I'll just call Marlin in the morning...
Old May 5, 2011, 01:11 PM   #12
TxGun

Every Pardner barrel I've ever seen is marked as to the choke. MOD or FULL are the common constrictions.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:34 PM   #13
Bucks Gun Shop

Look on the left hand side of the barrel back towards the action. It will be stamped with both the gauge and the choke... As for 3" and 2-3/4" shells... You can always shoot smaller -- You CANNOT go larger...

Every Pardner shotgun I have shot - all from .410 to 12 gauge, kick like heck!!!
Old May 6, 2011, 02:03 AM   #14
idek

I have a 20 gauge pardner and went into it planning to add a good recoil pad. Limbsaver makes a slip-on one that is listed as small/medium size and the pad adds about 1/2" to the stock length. That was good for me, but for some people the extra length may be bad. Anyway, the pad is very helpful.
Old March 21, 2012, 03:01 AM   #15
Onewitnessus

This gun is all I've needed

I bought my single shot Pardner 3" mod at Walmart for 78.00 almost 20 years ago! This gun is incredibly accurate at 80 to 100 yards (yes 100 yards). Using a rifled hollow point slug does not affect it's accuracy AT ALL. I've shot my biggest and best deer with this gun (and on more than one occasion had to RELOAD). I can reload this gun blindfolded!

The recoil is indeed AMAZING.

Recently a service tech at Walmart tried to tell me that since my gun was 20 years old it probably doesn't shoot 3" shells ROFL (shows how much he knows).

I know this is an old thread but I found it on Google so as far as I'm concerned it's still pertinent.

I noticed the original poster paid 75.00 for his.

This means the gun has RETAINED IT'S VALUE all of these years and is still worth as much today as I paid for it new! How many products can make that boast?

I recommend the gun to ANYONE.

(There was a similar forum at Yahoo where some idiot was cautioning against using a single shot to hunt deer because you might just wound them). Don't listen to that guy if you own this gun. A GOOD SHOOTER ONLY NEEDS ONE SHOT! I hear these guys out in the woods shooting 5 and even 8 times in a row! They shouldn't even be hunting if their aim is THAT bad!

Okay, I'm done.
Old March 21, 2012, 04:15 AM   #16
deerslayer303

What choke do you have? Its really not a good idea to shoot slugs in a full choked barrel. Most slugs call for an IMPROVED CYLINDER OR CYLINDER CHOKE. At least I wouldn't fire a slug through anything other than the two chokes I mentioned.
Old March 22, 2012, 04:21 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
This means the gun has RETAINED IT'S VALUE all of these years and is still worth as much today as I paid for it new! How many products can make that boast?
Most guns, and only if you discount inflation. Using CPI $75 in 1981 is about $125 today.

Of course, you also got a LOT of utility out of it all those years.
I have one with the interchangeable chokes. Will eventually pass it to another. I once took it to the range with some buckshot and slugs along with other loads I was planning to keep moving up in power. Pretty sure I stopped at reduced recoil buckshot.
Old March 22, 2012, 05:08 PM   #18
zippy13

Quote:
My question is, can I shoot 3" AND 2 3/4" inch shells?
NO, because it's a single shot. You can shoot 3" OR 2 3/4" shells.
Old March 23, 2012, 01:05 AM   #19
TheKlawMan

Quote:
NO, because it's a single shot. You can shoot 3" OR 2 3/4" shells.
Actually, Zippy, he can shoot both. Since his is a 12 gauge, he can slip a 20 guage in one lenght and follow it up with a 12 in the other. No noe said anything about not blowing the gun up.
Old March 23, 2012, 10:57 AM   #20
zippy13

My friend, that would be loading two, not shooting them. IINM, with firearms, shoot implies the payload successfully leaving the barrel, not disintegrating the gun. Yet, in demolition an explosion is considered a successful shoot.
Old March 23, 2012, 01:59 PM   #21
Salmoneye

I followed ya Zippy

As for this statement from earlier in the thread:

Quote:
But a gun marked with a 2 3/4" chamber will only handle 2 3/4" shells.
Yes, and no...

It can handle any shell UP TO 2 3/4 inch max open length...There are shells that are shorter still sold today, and these are fine in a 2 3/4 inch chamber...Just don't put a shell that is MORE than 2 3/4 inch over all length when open (fired) in a chamber that is shorter...To make it even more confusing, back at the turn of the last century (1900) there were still guns with 2 5/16" chambers, so you need to know the length of older unmarked chambers before firing any shell in them...

Back in the days of reloading paper shells and fiber wads, we often cut off the top 1/4 inch of the shell once it got ragged, went to a thinner over-powder wad, and simply roll crimped the shell...

Here are some 2 1/2" shells:

http://www.polywad.com/vintager.html

Here are some 1 1/2" shells:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...7-12-bird-shot

Both will work fine in 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch chambers...Just don't put a 3 inch shell in a 2 3/4" chamber...
Old March 23, 2012, 07:05 PM   #22
Hansam

Quote:
What choke do you have? Its really not a good idea to shoot slugs in a full choked barrel. Most slugs call for an IMPROVED CYLINDER OR CYLINDER CHOKE. At least I wouldn't fire a slug through anything other than the two chokes I mentioned.
I've fired rifled slugs through a full choke and had no adverse effects. In fact from a bench with a 4x scope I can shoot 2" three shot groups at 75yds from my Mossberg 500 pump. In fact I've taken more deer with that setup than any other long gun I own (simply because it gets the most field time).

Anyway back to the original question. You CAN shoot SHORTER shells through your gun than what it is chambered for. You CANNOT however shoot SMALLER shells through the same gun.
Old March 24, 2012, 01:33 PM   #23
TheKlawMan

Quote:
My friend, that would be loading two, not shooting them. IINM, with firearms, shoot implies the payload successfully leaving the barrel, not disintegrating the gun. Yet, in demolition an explosion is considered a successful shoot.
No one said anything about blowing up the barrel and if course you shoot both shells. Both the shooter and the shootee are shot in a mannet to speak.
Old April 15, 2012, 12:49 PM   #24
Baughmandale

1871 pump

I bought a new pump for home defense. The action breeches every time you shoot it. Can I fix this?
Old April 16, 2012, 07:56 AM   #25
WV_gunner

I know this is an old thread, but I might as well and post on it anyways. I have an H&R from the early '30s or so and it's a great gun. It's a .410 with a 3 inch chamber. These guns are very reliable and you can go to walmart and buy a H&R/New England shotgun and get it for around $120-$130. Or you can go the used route and get them for $35-$100. Heck, I have a rifle version of these guns in 45-70, and love it.