The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 30, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
vince972

dont know yet...

so im about to get my tax return... so is my gf lol i got her to pay half of my gun. so theres a gun show the 13th n 14th of feb in dallas and i want to get a xd 40 subbie, ive had a llama 1911 and it was fun but i found out it was made in 71 and i couldnt get parts for it, so i sold it well i want another one in the .45 caliber but i do remember the ammo wasnt cheap. I have about 550 or 600 to spend and ive found a couple mini max llamas for about 300-400 dollar range, i like them because they are cheap priced but on the other hand i cant freakin find parts. ive looked around and everyone is high with their guns no matter what... i mean my friend just bought a colt 90 series defender and we just went to the range and had about 20 bad feeds so he wants to sell it and of course get what i want, even though i wont have the money for it, he wants the kimber raptor(small one), i just dont have 1200 to spend on a gun, so what im wanting is that 40..... now hes had the same gun before too and sold it and ive shot it before and like it but any ideas whats kinda the same? o plus i can get a i think its an efc 9mm conversion barrel for it, so thats cheaper than shootin 40's all the time... tell me what u think...

forgot to mention if i find a right priced xd i might get a kel tec .32 just to have in my other pocket...
Old January 30, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2
FreakGasolineFight

For your price range, you have plenty of options. XD is a good one, Glock 19, CZ P-01, 709 slim ... the list goes on.

I'm actually not entirely sure what your question is.
Old January 30, 2010, 09:57 PM   #3
vince972

o forgot to mention again, i know the glocks are good guns but i dont really care to much about them because of the no safetys, my gf will be holding it if im not around her so it has to be something with some kind of safety
Old January 30, 2010, 10:12 PM   #4
FreakGasolineFight

Is there some reason you have to have a .40? If you're going .40 you might as well get a 45, since the ammunition is not really much more expensive, and hey, it's a .45. Or you could get a 9 and it would be that much cheaper to shoot.

I've read a few performance/gel testing kinda reviews on ammunition and it looks like .40 isn't really all that much better than 9. I'd really go for either 9mm or .45 over .40, and either have a 'bigger' gun or save some money on ammunition, depending on what your priorities are.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:18 PM   #5
vince972

well i like the 45 but 40 ammo in dallas is extremely alot cheaper for some reason than 45's if i find a good deal on a nice .45 then i will get one but i either want a 40 or 45 for my conceal nothing smaller and maybe a 380 or a 32 for my bug... id rather shoot 2 times and stop a person than shoot 5 to stop them u know? but i dont know lol i have no clue right now
Old January 30, 2010, 10:29 PM   #6
FreakGasolineFight

Well, each to his own, I guess. I like both calibers, though I really do think that 9 isn't really substantially less powerful than .40 at all, and also, of course, allows for much greater magazine capacity . I'd rather have fifteen rounds of 9 than seven rounds of .40.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:31 PM   #7
vince972

lol i did find a para ordinance 14 round pre ban 1911 lol for 400

Tags
9mm , armory.40 , conversion , springfield , sub compact