The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 9, 2008, 06:06 PM   #26
BigDaddy

Quote:
Sounds like she's coming around to pro gun, she'll just be using someone elses. It's a start...................
LOL! that's what I was thinking when she said that.

--Dave
Old September 9, 2008, 07:06 PM   #27
Jermtheory

Quote:
I'm a fan of both martial arts training and CCW.

Is martial arts training a replacement for having a concealed weapon? No.

Can martial arts help me avoid the NEED to use deadly force when facing someone with (for instance) a baseball bat, tire iron, etc? It may.
This is the problem with martial arts...people start to think things like "it trumps a bat".

Good luck with that.

Im all for H2H training,but it should be a last resort(after run and/or gun) against an armed attacker...or in the case of much bigger/stronger assailants(as with most woman-v-man scenarios).

I dont know of any martial arts that can give you the ability to smash bone and kill with an almost casual wave of the hand(despite what many practitioners may tell you).Even if they did...so its now an even fight with the guy waving a tire iron?

Just FYI-i trained in multiple disciplines for the better part of a decade.as always "its better to have and not need...",but i wouldnt bring my fists to a knife fight,any sooner than a knife to a gunfight.

It's been fun(in part).
Old September 9, 2008, 11:07 PM   #28
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Martial arts are all about technique, not brute strength or size. An expert martial artist (of more than one style ) can disarm and take down an opponent considerably larger than him (or her) self. The gentle art of Judo, for example, teaches the student to use an opponent's strength and size against him. Against a gun? It depends on the element of surprise and how good the opponent is.

None the less, that doesn't seem to be the main focus here. What the main focus is, however, is more demeaning to women than not.

And that's the reason I'm closing this.

Restart this if you like (and in general, it's a good subject for debate), but let's leave the sexist remarks out of it, shall we?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread