The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 18, 2008, 01:34 PM   #26
redhart

ammo

cond. 1 w/7 rds in ultra compact v-10 plus an extra mag of 7 more rds.
Old August 18, 2008, 01:35 PM   #27
the_pragmaticist

I carry nothing more than my 1911, 8+1, in the summer. In the winter (meaning leather coat full time while out of the house), I add one spare magazine to the mix.

I can read stories and advice until my eyes bleed, but I still can't picture myself in a situation where 9 rounds wouldn't at least get me to my car or around a corner to run the hell away.

Then again, when the going gets tough, I have taken to having my girlfriend duct tape a trauma plate to my back. The tape makes me sweat and it's hard to remove, but when you're expecting multiple .308 hits to the back, you can't be under prepared.

<couldn't resist, my humblest apologies>
Old August 18, 2008, 01:46 PM   #28
andrewskaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgraebert
Then again, when the going gets tough, I have taken to having my girlfriend duct tape a trauma plate to my back. The tape makes me sweat and it's hard to remove, but when you're expecting multiple .308 hits to the back, you can't be under prepared.
Touché, sir.
Old August 18, 2008, 02:23 PM   #29
Keltyke

Quote:
cond. 1 w/7 rds in ultra compact v-10 plus an extra mag of 7 more rds.
Hey redhart, how do you like that ported Springfield .45? My wife saw one in a local gun shop and just had to have it. Isn't it a sweetie to shoot? She took it and gave me the Defender.

Quote:
but I still can't picture myself in a situation where 9 rounds wouldn't at least get me to my car or around a corner to run the hell away.
I agree. If 10+1 of .40 S&W doesn't save me or get me outta Dodge, I shouldn't be there to begin with.
Old August 18, 2008, 06:29 PM   #30
hoytinak

Quote:
I wonder what he's up do these days...I miss reading his posts.
Old August 18, 2008, 06:54 PM   #31
LanceOregon

Quote:
I suspect most people do not realize that Hartford is majority Hispanic and that New Haven is an illegal alien "sanctuary city" when illegals have city issued ID cards.
Wow, I had no idea at all that Connecticut had become a third world state.

I think that we have to just face it and accept the fact that our nation has been successfully invaded and conquered.

And that our government did hardly anything to stop it.

Old August 18, 2008, 07:06 PM   #32
fjk1911

The mayor of New Haven, in fact, ran for governor last term and was defeated by a RINO female and the illegal alien status issue was a non-issue to these voters. In CT, the police cannot ask if you are a legal citizen or illegal alien and you need not prove it - it is not a "criminal issue" it is a "civil issue". Such a joke. Highest per capita income, highest per capita grad degrees yet we are as blue as the sky. Can't hunt with a handgun or rifle only bow or slugs.

You should need a passport to enter this place.
Old September 9, 2008, 11:56 PM   #33
msb45

Two 1911s

fjk1911 I agree with your carry choice. I carry 2 1911s and often have a KelTec in my pocket or a .38 on my ankle.

Having a more accessible gun while driving makes sense. Under a camp shirt it works just fine if you have good leather.
virtue, and enjoy more happiness, than a thousand slaves."

- Samuel Adams - 1774
Old September 10, 2008, 11:06 AM   #34
mrghostwalker

My Police Training Officers have a rule- if you carry a handgun you have to carry a second mag.
As has been said before- the fault of a jam- other than limp wristing- is in the mag. So for my Dept- we always carry a spare mag.
Off-duty, when I carry my 2 inch revolver (my choice, not theirs) I ALWAYS carry spare ammo in a speed loader or speed strip.
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Old September 10, 2008, 11:20 AM   #35
mavracer

Always carry a reload

derringer,revolver or auto, 1 gun or two I always carry a reload for what ever I carry.
total round count will vary from 6 to about 30 depending on situation.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 11, 2008, 11:35 AM   #36
snolden

Quote:
As has been said before- the fault of a jam- other than limp wristing- is in the mag. So for my Dept- we always carry a spare mag.
+1 on this. The only reason I carry a spare mag is for a failure response. I am walking around with at least 10+1 of 9mm and usually (90%) 13+1 of .45 auto. Either of those should be nough to solve any problem I come into.

But I carry a spare mag, because the most likely cause of a failure in my weapon is the magazine.

So to answer the question, ~85% of the time I am carrying 27 .45 rounds in two mags
~10% of the time 26 9mm rounds (1-10 and 1-15 mag)
~5% both of the above guns with only the one .45 spare mag (in this case the 9mm is simply a backup) about once a month if I have to go into the city or drive long distance

and to back all that up is a folding knife 100%.
Old September 11, 2008, 12:00 PM   #37
Sparks2112

Lately it's been 13+1 230gr DoubleTap GD's in a G-21SF with another 13 in a fobus mag holder (I'm buying a different mag holder fobus is crap for CCW)

I've got a 5 shot Taurus 9mm para in my left front pocket as well... Am I over prepared?
J.M. Johnston
Old September 11, 2008, 01:50 PM   #38
ringworm

i dont feel uncomfortable with the 7 rounds in the gun total.

because I know THE RULE.
Old September 11, 2008, 02:03 PM   #39
Kreyzhorse

My smallest round count in a gun is 5 in my S&W 637. I carry a reload in a dump pouch. If I'm going semi-auto, I'll carry the LCP with 6+1 with a 6 round spare mag. The 1911 is 8 rounds plus a 8 round spare mag.

Funny thing is I never feel under prepared when I just carry the snub nose with a dump pouch.
Old September 11, 2008, 04:25 PM   #40
45_Shooter

With my snubbies, whatevers in the gun (5 or 6), and probably a speed strip or a loader occasionally.

With 1911's, 8+1 in the gun on full sizes, 7+1 on compacts, and an 8 round reload regardless. The 1911 mags are thin so I rarely even notice, so I always carry one.
Old September 11, 2008, 08:21 PM   #41
Wagonman

I usually carry my Sig DAK45 in a fanny pack w a couple of extra mags, cuffs and a flashlight. The very least I leave the house with is a j-frame in an ankle holster or a pocket.
Old September 14, 2008, 06:45 PM   #42
dandydany

I love my Glock 30...

but after reading you guys , made up my mind for a S&W 325PD 4'' .45ACP ; say you get hit , limp wrist will get you if you were using a semi auto, even during a self defense fight. I experience limp wrist while practicing with my Glock 30 and a local friend told me about it later ....with a revolver, that will not happen; besides, you can shoot any type of ammo , lead or whatever which I cannot use in the Glock. I reload all my .45 ammo , 185 gr, 200 gr, wadcutter and 255 gr lead slug, 230 round nose, ect....I use full moon clips that I have for my Webley MK VI , one in the gun, and 4 in a belt pouch and those can be reloaded in the gun REAL fast and are not in my way. Besides, I retreive them nice and clean for reloading.. I hope to get that Smith soon, for now, I 'll use the Glock and will remember your comments about limp wrist. Real nice reading and lots of ideas ...thanks, Dan
Old September 16, 2008, 09:39 PM   #43
d906670

Have had a clinton mag fail ( bottom blew out) at the wrong time with my BHP, I will not go out without a spare mag now.
Old September 16, 2008, 10:31 PM   #44
guntotin_fool

1911 commander with a 8+1, 2 more 10 rounders in a custom back pocket wallet/mag holder... occasionally a BUG< usually on rent collection days. My brief case usually has 4 loaded mags for 1911, and that goes most of where I go. WHy? because I can.

Just to pull a buddy's leg who carries just a J frame, I showed up at his work carrying my usual load and a Galco shoulder holster with a G27 and 2 G18 33 rounds hanging from the mag pounches, yeah I made some extension snaps to hold them in, but it was more a gag.
Old September 16, 2008, 10:52 PM   #45
Stevie-Ray

I carry only 7 or 8 rounds of .45 ACP, depending on gun. Sometimes 10 rounds of 9mm. Usually any of the above is supplemented with BUG of 8 rounds of .32 ACP. Never an extra mag.
Old September 16, 2008, 11:13 PM   #46
jrothWA

Whenever CPL'ing...

I'm always carrying two units of reloads (e.g.: speedloaders / magazines)
Old September 16, 2008, 11:13 PM   #47
SGT-MILLER

Any weapon I have will be supplemented with 2 extra mags. That's just me.

Even 15-17 rounds of ammo will give you about 30 seconds tops of good firefight. I want to be able to last out a little bit longer if it ever comes down to that (which would be a rare event).