The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2008, 03:37 PM   #1
goldfacade

Loadings for 45acp+titegroup+185gr jhp

First post here, but have been lurking for a while. I am new to pistol reloading, though I have loaded rifle for a few years. I got some Titegroup and Montana Gold 185 gr JHP's and was wondering if anyone has reloaded this combo, and if so what was your best result. I started with the min, Hodgdon load and worked my way up to 5.4gr, with OAL 1.210 but its still pretty dirty. I bought this powder on a friends recommendation that it was very clean. Any advice for a newbie?
Old August 14, 2008, 03:57 PM   #2
D. Manley

Don't shoot much TG anymore and I don't know what you're looking for in a load but, if it's just a clean, very accurate target load my favorite with that bullet is 4.3 grains VV N-310. A close second is 5.5 grains VV N-320 or 5.4 grains American Select...all using Federal 150 primers & OAL @ 1.208 | Crimp @ .471. None are max loads, all shoot clean & should cycle OK and all provide as good groups as any other whether, factory or handload. If you don't mind that "black pepper smell", 4.7 grains of WST is very good also.
Old August 15, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
goldfacade

Thanks for the heads up. I will put the recipes on file. Anyone else?
Old August 15, 2008, 03:13 PM   #4
putteral

I use Titegroup regularly. I use it in 185gr Nosler JHP'S because it is the most accruateof the powders I have tried in my 24/7 Pro 45. I do not find it that dirty. My favorite load is 5.2 grs at 1.21 It is even more accruate in my EFS.