The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 12, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1
Doublestack

Help with editing posts/ replying with quotes.

Sorry to be a PITA, but I have tried to find answers to these questions and cannot locate info.
How can I edit a post (and title) when there is no little "edit" icon on the bottom of my post? I am refering to my own posts, not someone elses reply.
Also, What is the method used to take a quote fragment from someone elses response and insert it in a response of your own.
I am sure this post will go away quickly as soon as one person replies with the answers.

Thanks.

DS
Old April 12, 2007, 08:29 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

If there is no edit button, you cannot edit the post. There is a time limit set to preserve the continuity of old threads. How old was the post you were trying to edit?

Reply with Quotes: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=224295

Hope this helps.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old April 12, 2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Doublestack

If there is no edit button, you cannot edit the post. There is a time limit set to preserve the continuity of old threads. How old was the post you were trying to edit?

test
Old April 12, 2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Doublestack

[quote]If there is no edit button, you cannot edit the post. There is a time limit set to preserve the continuity of old threads. How old was the post you were trying to edit?[quote]

test #2
Old April 12, 2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Doublestack

OK, I went to the "quote site", and I have no trouble highlighting what I want to quote. The instructions say to click control-C to "buffer. This is the part I am having trouble with.
I will give it another try. I am using the keypad for Ctrl-C, as I don't know what "click" Ctrl-C could mean.
Old April 12, 2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Doublestack

Quote:
Think I got it

Thanks,

DS
Old April 12, 2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Looks like you do. But, to clarify one thing, you attempted to use typed in quote tags in post #4. You did everything right except that you left the slash ( '/') off of the ending tag.

It should have looked like this in your text window instead:

[quote]If there is no edit button, you cannot edit the post. There is a time limit set to preserve the continuity of old threads. How old was the post you were trying to edit?[/quote]

BTW, what is the answer to that embedded question? It will probably answer your original question about there being no edit button.
Old April 13, 2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Doublestack

Quote:
BTW, what is the answer to that embedded question? It will probably answer your original question about there being no edit button.
I have a "Howdy, I'm new here" post, and while all the replies were welcoming and gracious, I was getting embarrassed about leaving it hanging around. Thought I might change the subject line so the post would ride off into the sunset as it were.

No biggie. good to know there are so many nice folks here.

DS
Old April 13, 2007, 10:52 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

You might want to check out the Software Test Area, located just below this forum on the main page. It's a place specificly used to test various tags and how they look.