The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 30, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Poor Bubba'd 1911 Colt Series 70

I had the flat mainspring housing, flat trigger, combat skeletized hammer, egw melt bushing, and beaver tail installed locally.

Or so I thought.

Anyways the failures were the beaver tail and the bushing. I received the gun with a non-functioning beaver tail (does not need to be depressed to fire) and the bushing was on so weird that the darn thing comes apart like a Glock.

I went a little crazy and I just said I'm not paying a dime and they agreed their smith is a wacko and let him go. Gave me my gun, and let me do my own search.

All I wish to do now is a get a normal barrel bushing, I don't trust the collet one even though its in the gun now because it sure beats that other piece of junk.

And the beaver tail because I got the gun with a duck bill I wasn't anywhere near of being fond of.

Anyone know how to walk me through it? Or where to send it? Any advice at all is welcome. And don't tell me I did a stupid thing trusting a local Miami gunsmith I know I did a stupid thing.

This is a range gun and it's supposed to be for fun.

I had then put this back on so it actually works before I left. Even though I hate it. That would now be fun to shoot.

I bought all my part minus the trigger from Brownells. Except the flat trigger which was from 10-8 performance.

Old April 30, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

This thread seems like one that could go either here in The Smithy, or up in the Semiauto forum. Per OP's request, I'm sending this one north to Semiautos.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Thank you Spats!

I didn't get to say more details, as I was pouring coffee and heading out the door to work when I was uploading this from my phone.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point. I love this gun. It's one of my favorite range guns along with my BHP and CGC. I will only sell it if there's no returning from this. IE: the jig that made the cut (which doesn't look bad at all) for the beaver tail. For some reason it didn't work as it was supposed to. So they put back the duck bill just for it to function.

It's a series 70 from the 70's production line in satin nickel.

I sent it out last year to a very highly reputable gunsmith that is on this forum.

I couldn't have the work done at that time while it was up there with him. Personal reasons involving my sweetheart and money issues.

I wish I had just left it there and worked out a payment plan.

You know who you are, feel free to chime in!!!

So when it came back from his hands, I used my friends shop as the FFL to ship to and from. They said they have a smith and he can do it. So I took it back to them after my issues were sorted out and here I am now.

Ok! Any questions or comments or ideas. I'm open to all.

P.S. I know I messed up -___- again, it's a fun time range gun.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

This is undoubtedly the work of someone with an Assault Dremel. I'll bet that it even had a comfortable grip-thingy and a high-capacity motor. We should require licensing and registration of Assault Dremels, and do background checks on anyone who wants to buy one. Who needs an Assault Dremel, really?

Any time, Constantine.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:45 AM   #5
TunnelRat

There are smiths and then there are smiths. Figuring out which ones are reputable is critical.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 30, 2013, 09:49 AM   #6
JimDandy

Assault Dremmel with pistol grip too. And High Capacity Feeding Device AKA Battery.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

C'mon y'all...

Can't you see my black heart is aching?!
Old April 30, 2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
Assault Dremmel with pistol grip too. And High Capacity Feeding Device AKA Battery.
Is that an adjustable rate-of-fire knob that I see? Oh, the humannity!

I feel your pain, C, I really do. Unfortunately, all I know to tell you is that you have a good learning opportunity on your hands. . . .

Or I'll give you $50 for the poor thing and see what I can do with it.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

lol I'll take $75 and a puppy? Siberian husky and you've got yourself a deal.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:02 AM   #10
JimDandy

Quote:
Is that an adjustable rate-of-fire knob that I see? Oh, the humannity!
You lawyers and politicians (but I repeat myself) always trying to regulate things you don't understand. We call that a Select Fire Dial. And it's already regulated by the National Dremel Act of 1934
Old April 30, 2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
You lawyers and politicians (but I repeat myself) . . .
Now THEM'S fighting words, JD!

C, I don't even know what a Siberian Husky costs, but if it's a purebred, I suspect I'd be better off just to go buy another Colt 1911. lol!
Old April 30, 2013, 10:16 AM   #12
JimDandy

Sorry Constantine, Spats lets me burden him incessantly down in the Law and Civil Rights forum by letting me play Junior Lawyer and coming up with ridiculous Con Law questions to get us better laws, and I saw him poking around in here.

My condolences on your "loss" however. What kind of contacts do you have with the local PD and SO? They'll likely have an armorer or two on staff that may moonlight, and they'll understand doing it the way the boss wants, not the way they think is cool.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
My condolences on your "loss" however. What kind of contacts do you have with the local PD and SO? They'll likely have an armorer or two on staff that may moonlight, and they'll understand doing it the way the boss wants, not the way they think is cool.

Thank you sir. I was previously starting LE (I'm not retired, I'm young still. Long story why I'm not currently) My contacts won't touch it and I wouldn't want them to anyways. We're issued Glock 22's!
Old April 30, 2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Robk

I really feel your pain, as a good smith is often hard to find. But you are one up on me, as I know of only on local smith (questional work, great when he wants and not so much when he dosn't). Looking at the picture and of your description, seems the tang was not properly blended to fit the beavertail. At least in my humble opinion. A good smith may yet be able to correctly blend it, or get one with a diffent angle which would remove a bit more material to get rid of the bad work. I don't know, but if worse comes to worse, I may offer you a Sig as trade as I have been known to take on hopeless causes.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:32 AM   #15
9mm

How much did you pay for this?
Old April 30, 2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I may offer you a Sig as trade as I have been known to take on hopeless causes.
That'd be very nice of you. I would accept, depending on the SIG. PM me!!

Quote:
How much did you pay for this?
What's up man?! Long time no talk. Where have you been?

I paid $0.00

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; April 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old April 30, 2013, 11:38 AM   #17
9mm

Yeah in finals, very busy lol.
Old April 30, 2013, 11:59 AM   #18
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
I wish I had just left it there and worked out a payment plan.
This. Resend the Colt.

Quality over quantity. You only have two hands. If necessary sell a couple of the Glocks/"extra pistols" to pay for it.

Just my .22 cents worth.

Now, go figure...
Old April 30, 2013, 12:43 PM   #19
rock185

I agree with AZAK. Perhaps the actual gunsmith you initially sent it to would be willing to resurrect the gun, though it will certainly be more expensive this time around. I do know one excellent actual gunsmith in Chino Valley, AZ, Don Williams/Action Works. Don has done quality work for me on both the 1911s and Hi Powers.

I have long thought it interesting that there are no standards for claiming to be a "Gunsmith". Just get your FFL, or perhaps work through a shop, get a sign that says ~~~MASTER GUNSMITH~~~ or some such, and you are one. I'm a LE armorer for several manufactirer's guns, including the O-Frame Colt. Even we have to go to the factory authorized schools and demonstrate some level of knowledge ,skill and competency. I would not pretend to go out and claim to be a gunsmith. I've seen plenty of 1911s at gun shows with the same level of "skilled" gunsmithing work that yahoo did on your gun. Anyway, I agree, see if the original smith will take it on, and pay him whatever he charges...ymmv
Old April 30, 2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

As for selling more guns to fund this one. That's a no no. I've sold about 16 guns in the past year and a half. I'm happy where I'm at now.

And what I have now (Glock's included) are dear to me.

As for sending it to the original gunsmith? That's not possible, per the last time I checked. If that changes...I'll be able to. However you hit the nail on the head saying it'll cost more this time.

The gun was customized when I first bought it. But it wasn't butchered like it is now. So I don't think I can pay all that up right now. Plus I'm moving soon. This year.

My options look very limited...

I really think all it needs is the beaver tail to be squared away and it'll be smooth sailing after I punch 500rds through it. Then I'll be able to have it refinished.

I wanted to keep it satin nickel, but that isn't an option anymore since the back where the beaver tail was cut is just bare metal.
Old April 30, 2013, 01:27 PM   #21
BoogieMan

Good news is you got what you paid for. Im sure there are good reputable gunsmiths in Miami area the same as any other area of the country. Finding them might be a different story. I would probably send it back to the Smith who had it before and let him figure it out. A TIG and someone who is good with a file can do wonders.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 30, 2013, 02:27 PM   #22
BubbaBlades

Constantine,
I acquired a Colt Gold Cup Series 80 that had many of the same problems as your 1911 does including a non-working bevertail. Numerous after market parts had been installed on my GC by a part installer (as opposed to a gunsmith) in Georgia.
I had my gun worked on by a local South Florida gunsmith, Robert Munck. He fixed everything including all of the after market parts because the guy that I got the gun from did not keep the original Colt parts.
Robert is the gunsmith for Pompano Pawn in Pompano Beach, FL.
Their address and phone number are:
Pompano Pawn
1301 West Copans Road
Pompano Beach, FL
954-968-494
Good luck with your repairs.
Mark
Old April 30, 2013, 02:30 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

O_O Bubba..That's awesome.

Disclaimer: This Bubba isn't the culprit of my gun being Bubba'd!

Would it be much to ask to have a few pictures of the gun they worked on for you? Please?
Old April 30, 2013, 02:53 PM   #24
BubbaBlades

This is the only picture that I have. What the picture doesn't show is the work that Robert did inside of the gun. The gun left Colt with numerous machining marks inside of the slide and other sloppy work. I have had six other Gold Cups and this the only one that ever needed work.

Mark
Old April 30, 2013, 03:50 PM   #25
RickB

Wow, it's possible you'll have to have some welding done on the frame, to get any beavertail to properly fit; it's hard to tell with that, that, other grip safety installed.
Even if just for entertainment value, can you show us the bushing? There's really nothing wrong with a collet bushing that hasn't broken. If you've been shooting the gun for thirty years and it's still working, the bushing probably will continure to work (and be more accurate than a poorly-fit solid bushing).